Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Nothing earth shattering but I have just done my first oil change on my 08 Patrol. Engine has done 235k. I used Valvoline 15w40 super diesel. I done the oil then moved the car out to the road straight away to let the level settle. That was 2 hours ago and I just went to check it. Could not get a reading on the dip stick. Had to run car for a couple of minutes on fast idle then checked again. Only had a smear on the dip stick. Does anyone have an idea of why no level reading on the dipstick. Am going for a 6hr drive to Tenterfield tomorrow.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
How much oil did you put in?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
That should be heaps! Are you pushing the dip stick all the way in to where the rubber is?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure am. I do know the car is on a slight angle in the gutter but that should still give me some reading

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Absolutely. Something sounds amiss.. sump plug missing.. oil filter missing.. or the new oil is just so clean you can't see it on the dipstick :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Put more oil in it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Eddietrx
Max it should take is 9.1lt or is the manual wrong. The Gregory's manual moot covered the zd30ddti engine not the CRD.

·
Registered
407 Posts
imo, dipsticks don't lie. You must have stuffed up your calculations when putting in oil. Put more oil in before you go on your drive tomorrow...

oh and btw, should only have to wait a few minutes to get a full reading on the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Mate, I know when I do mine it's hard to see it on the dipstick, not sure about the crd but ddi is just over 8l. Stupid dipsticks don't have a proper mark on them either just little cut out. 9.1 should be plenty.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
If you use any other oil then 5w30 the qty changes slightly due to the thickness of the oil. If you use a light oil The book says for the 08 Patrol With oil filter change 6.8L. Without oil filter change 6.5L. I am around 7L with Delvac1. If you have smear as you say and as advised above you need to add more. on 20W50 I go just a little lower then the mark and for light oil i go on the full mark. 15w40 is a little meduim heavy so I don't know why you would be up in the 9L range as when I use that I am more near 6.9L to 7.0L. If you use engine flush or flush oil you can expect to add a little extra.

The book is only for standard Patrols and not always location based. You my find you have the wider oil sump as found on some late 4.8's so just go by the dipstick as they increased the oil capacity but did not update the book.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Surely 9l would register on the dip stick. Unless it's a 5L drum and not a 10l?

Still sounds a bit odd

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added a extra litre as I had a little more left than I thought. Finally registering ok. The Gregory photo is beliw

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Only makes sense if you have a 4.2 in there!

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I did hot oil drain last night. Just changed the oil on my new 4.8 using delvac 1 - 5W40. At 5L to 7L nothing on the dipstick after waiting 5 mins for drain down. 7.5L it registers just on the very bottom. So I added more oil (1L and it came to full mark at 8.5L).After running for 5 mins and then standby for 5 mins I had to add another 500ml to hit the high mark. So total oil used for me with all night drain, engine flush and filter was 9L on the mark.

You may have the tropical version so expect to add more then the book.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, thanks. I went for a trip to Tenterfield today. 400k round trip. Will check in morning as to oil level. Happy with fuel though. Used only 1/2 tank. The actual sump cover looks real tiny to me . Would be only bout 40cm square.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr
920 Posts
Ok guys, thanks. I went for a trip to Tenterfield today. 400k round trip. Will check in morning as to oil level. Happy with fuel though. Used only 1/2 tank. The actual sump cover looks real tiny to me . Would be only bout 40cm square.

Is it a suzuki alto? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts