Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turbo89GQ’s write up of his Garrett turbo project on this forum really inspired me to go ahead with my own turbo project for my LWB TD42 Mav.
The idea of this post is to show that you can install a new turbo system in your Patrol with virtually no fabrication.
For a start, here are the criteria for what I wanted to achieve with installing a turbo:
- It had to be a bolt in job. Major fabrication like dump pipe or exhaust was out of the question as I am a driveway mechanic with no means of fabricating major bits and pieces. I also thought, I could save a bit of money if I didn’t have to get my truck trailered to an exhaust shop and get them to do a custom job.
- I was looking for a turbo setup, which favours reliability over performance.
- I wanted a turbo with virtually no lag and low down boost.
- I also wanted better fuel economy as my Vic Alp trips averaged to 25l off road.
- I wanted a low mount configuration as I have a dual battery system installed.

It took me quite a while to research all the bits and pieces. After reading the mentioned build thread here and talking to s couple of people, I decided to go with the Garrett GT2860rs with a DTS manifold (I didn’t like the performance characteristics of most kits as I wanted something that kicked in at 1200 – 1400 rpm).

One funny thing, I noticed when I rang around to price all the bits and pieces was that the price would jump up by approx. $1k when the word ‘kit’ was mentioned. This was another reason why I choose putting my own kit together.
I started getting a compression and leakage test done by my workshop. The results were very promising: Compression test: 460 470 460 460 470 460 -- Leakage test: 10% 7% 8.5% 6 9% 7.5%
Not too bad for an engine with 350k on it J.
Speaking to a lot of people including the guys at Trac4 in Sydney, I realised that I would also need a 2.5” or 3” exhaust system to make the turbo work efficiently (apparently, you get away with the stock exhaust system on Toyotas).
So, the first item, I bought was a 3” exhaust system off eBay from Scotts Rods for $549. My punt was that if it fits to the factory turbo, I just have to find a dump pipe that lines up.
And guess what, my biggest issue with finding all parts was sourcing a dump pipe for the GT28. I stumbled across ASE’s website who do a GT2860 upgrade kit for the GU TD42T and asked them if they would sell the dump pipe separately. ASE were prepared to match the quotes, I got for the turbo and manifold elsewhere and we agreed on a package deal with all oil and water lines as well as the air pipes and all gaskets. All added up to $2700 delivered to my door. I had bought a ZD30 air box earlier for $200.
Fitting the ZD30 air box was a pain in the @rse. I had to relocate my ARB 2nd battery tray 5cm back to work out that the overflow bottle wouldn’t fit anymore due to its shape. So, I had to massage the inner guard. I also had to enlarge the hole in the inner guard for the silicone adaptor hose between air box and Safari snorkel. All up a day’s work.
Low mounts are a tight fit in a GQ. After pre assembling manifold, turbo and oil and water lines, I realised that I could not slide the assembly into position. Some of the manifold bolts, I could only tighten 10deg at a time.
The whole install took me two days. It could be done in a day if it’s not your first time and you have a helping hand. The exhaust hit a cross member and had to be massaged into shape by using a hydraulic jack.
I bought EGT and boost gauges from Auber instruments. I fitted the EGT probe in the manifold, as I wanted accurate EGT readings.
I only upped the fuel by ¼ and decided to see how it drives without tuning it on a dyno. I have since driven the truck 5000km and have not had any problem whatsoever. My average EGT is well below 500 deg. pre turbo and max boost is at 14PSI if the gauge is correct. There is absolutely no turbo lag. My average fuel consumption is at around 13l
There are no overheating issues whatsoever. The truck pulls nicely from 1200 rpm with full boost at around 2000rpm through to 3000rpm according to my gauges
Pulls off nicely, can sit at 110 on the freeway up and down the hills. It is a different car. My memories of driving a gutless n/a TD42 are fading and driving the truck puts a smile on my face every time.
Cheers
Joachim

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If your pre turbo egts are below 500 you have a fair margin for adding some more fuel. You could probably go another 1/4 turn and see how you go. When I did mine I upped the fuel by 1/2 a turn and that is just about perfect for my vehicle, it will only get to 550 post turbo after a very long hill at full accelerator.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your pre turbo egts are below 500 you have a fair margin for adding some more fuel. You could probably go another 1/4 turn and see how you go. When I did mine I upped the fuel by 1/2 a turn and that is just about perfect for my vehicle, it will only get to 550 post turbo after a very long hill at full accelerator.
Yep, I could play with the fuel a bit more, but I'm happy with the performance and the fuel consumption so far.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
got any pics of during and or after the fit??
im keen to get this same turbo aswell.
and yeah i found it cheaper to buy all my stuff seperately rather than in a kit.... plus i can do all the work myself anyways....

some people have said they turn the rear housing around ?
did you do this?

cheers mate

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got any pics of during and or after the fit??
im keen to get this same turbo aswell.
and yeah i found it cheaper to buy all my stuff seperately rather than in a kit.... plus i can do all the work myself anyways....

some people have said they turn the rear housing around ?
did you do this?

cheers mate
I'll post up some pics in a couple of days.
The compressor and turbine housing need to be rotated to suit a lowmout AND you need a longer actuator arm which I bought from Denco.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
Is this going to be a DIY?

If your just talking about what you done, it cant stay here!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jet-6, it's a DIY, I've done. I wrote it up to show that a complete bolt in solution including exhaust for a GT2860 low mount is possible. I'll do some pics of the finished project and put them up here (it was either raining or dark when I had time to do it). I can't see how this doesn't comply with this section.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
It hardly tells anyone how to do anything, its just tell us you have done the mod and made a few calls and spent time doing the reaserch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good useful information jgq ,thank you.
Obviously pictures would be appreciated, a picture paints a thousand words....

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, This is my first attempt to uploading pictures. As you can see, everything is a tight fit. The 3" exhaust didn't clear the crossmember. So, I had to shape it a bit. I can take more pics. Let me know what you want to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What size rear houbsing u get? .64 or. 86. Im buying a disco potato of a mate who has it on his 180sx.
I got the .64 hot side and I'm happy with it. People, I talked to said the .86 would be a bit laggy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah ill want it for towing and just as a daily driver. I don't want bulk power aiming for bit over 110kw or so. What power figure do u think u have
No idea. It hasn't been on a dyno. I'm happy with the performance, the highest pre turbo EGT, I've seen is 565 C (up the mountain for 4km with my foot down all the time) and it goes through 12 - 14.5l of diesel per 100km.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Yeah ill want it for towing and just as a daily driver. I don't want bulk power aiming for bit over 110kw or so. What power figure do u think u have
I have seen dyno results from a few, with a standard GQ fuel pump 12-13psi of boost average round 120hp, tuned safely

110kw = 147.5hp

·
Registered
nissan
640 Posts
Hey I've just bought one of those exhausts from scott's rods off ebay too.
I only bought the middle and rear section though as i've got to get a custom dump pipe made and will just get them to run it up to the mid section.
Am I also gonna have troubles with it fitting on my GQ?
I bought it because it was advertised as bolting straight into original mounts!!??
(It arrives tomorrow i think)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts