Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, Bear with me, I tend to be long winded
As a member for quite some time, I decided I might share some history and mods if anyone cares :p

After spending the last 2 days getting some mods finished before rego, I thought I might finally post some history on my rig.
Unfortunately I didn't take any photos during the build up or mod points, but I have a few photo's in 'My Garage'

It all started with an '89 GQ that I bought in 2012, which had a TB42, dual fuel and heaps of bits in it, but it had gutter rust which eventually got the better of me, and has now been retired as spare parts.
I bought my second ('91) GQ in May last year and it has snowballed out of budget from there... as per usual ;)

She was fairly well stock minus a 3" lift (or HD 2" I'm not sure), dual fuel and an ARB winch bar. Everything else has been my doing.
Initially I transferred my factory vacuum rear locker (with freshly rebuilt diff centre) from my old rig and started setting her up for touring and working away from home.
So in went the second battery, controlled via 2x cole hersey solenoid, which via a 270A Anderson plug on the front gives me 12 or 24V jump starting abilities.
A 175A circuit breaker keeps the joined batteries as safe as I can.
I fitted up the snorkel, put in a brake control unit and drove her for a while, but was concerned with a big end knock when she was warm.
Instead of pulling my rebuilt TB out of my old rig, I bought an untidy GU wagon (for the princely sum of 10k) and stole its 2001 factory turbo'd TD42 to go into mine.

despite what some people say, it was a fairly straight forward conversion.
I had a diesel bellhousing laying around to hook up to my original cog swapper, and stole the 2 1/4 Beaudesert exhaust from the GU and deleted the muffler option too.
For ease of under bonnet tidiness, I also swapped the GU vacuum chambers, clutch booster (mine was leaking), fuel filter mount (bolt in arrangement), and air filter system.
Unbeknown to the previous owner of said GU, I knew EXACTLY what the un-hooked-up blue air hose coming from the front diff centre was for, so I traded centres for good measure and have it hooked up to a dedicated air compressor under bonnet.

Next on my to do list (as a mechanic and machinery operator) I had to have high capacity onboard air.
I embarked on the (quite easy really) task of converting a Sanden style (SD series) Air Con compressor to be an air compressor and hid a 4.5kg (9L) fire extinguisher in the bull bar recess and had it with an auto cut out at 120 p.s.i.
perfect!

For touring, I fitted 2 50A andersons in the cargo area, 1 for my 82L fridge and the other for a 3rd (and4th sometimes) battery when touring without the caravan, or working in the boondocks and bought 2 Aldi cigarette lighter / USB charger thingies and mounted one in the centre console and the other inside the rear inner panel.
My desire for clean dash faces forced me to get an overhead console for map, C.D. and UHF storage and is probably my favourite mod to date, with integrated L.E.D. map and rear lighting, it is the bomb!
Also an eBay / 4WD Supastore full length rack went on (best rack I've ever owned!)
and rear storage became my concern,
I had previously built a set of drawers to go in the back of my old troll, but I hated the lack of room when I didn't need them, So I bought a series of Armourboy "space cases' and have found they are a good compromise when travelling.

With all this done, it was time for me to get the old girl on the road, with a Low Coolant alarm and Water Watch system next on my to do list, after 10min of idling (never even got her out of the workshop after the conversion) the injector pump ground to a halt... Watery diesel from our bulk tank...
Wish I fitted the water watch first... :headwall:

While waiting for the injector pump to be overhauled, I decided to change over my head unit, amp and 4 6x9's from the old bus and wire in a fuse block from the auxiliary battery to transfer all my necessities to, and fitted a pair of 600W inverters under the rear seats for good measure.

2 months went by and she was blowing my mind how good she was.

Due to my love of H/C offroading (and rego looming), I decided it was time time to put swaybars under her, but not wanting to compromise too much, I transferred the factory disconnect unit from my old rig and modified all of my links to suit the 3" lift that is under it.
I fitted a 2nd hand LRA 77L sub tank while I was at it, with a 'ticker' transfer pump to boost my touring range.

Suspension wise, I haven't had to do much, it had a CalOffroad sorted 3" lift under it, with all the right adjustable bits here and there, panhards, upper trailing arms and I just installed some BOSS (FnB4WD) rear tower coil braces, which I am stoked with and left her be (for now)

In the bullbar, I transferred my old TMax 13200lb winch and my (now HID converted) IPF lights and 300W 55" light bar and GME aerial.
Boost and Pyro gauges now adorn the centre spot in my dash to keep an eye on my un wastegated factory turbo (~14.5 p.s.i) and I have been returning a steady 12-12.5L/100km living in the Snowy Mountains.
And 17L/100km when towing the van in the outback.

Tire wise I usually run 33x12.5x15s (Kumho KL71's which I recommend to ANYONE!)
But have snavelled a set of Dick Cepek FCII's from the donor GU for my Canning Sotck Route run next winter, so I am running some 265/75/15s HT's to preserve those for the trip.

Future mods planned include refining the sound system (getting it more out of the way)
Using the pipe and bender I already have to make sliders and scrub bars
Fitting a twin tyre carrier rear bar
Super flex radius arms and extended front shock towers for getting the front working better
A custom tube bullbar for better approach angles
Quarter chop and rubber flares, hopefully to clear 35's or QR78's (36's) for weekend play
And black GU 17" alloys with 32's or 33's for road time
60 or 83% transfer reduction
Reverse cowl bonnet scoop to try and lower under bonnet temps or maybe a top mount intercooler from a new V8 cruiser with matching scoop.
Maybe when money allows, I will respray her in a different (two tone charcoal over tiger mica burnt orange) but for now I will settle for fitting and electronic rust prevention system and polishing the turd as she is.

And sink the money into the full tube frame buggy (and try to find people to go wheeling with)

Anyone who wants a walkthrough on how I did any of this, feel free to ask.
will try n keep future mods photo'd and posted.
Cheers for reading, keep the shiny side up
Blake

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Awesome!

I'm interested in your onboard air mod, if you want to share some info and pics...

Where in the Snowies are you?

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, Smeagol

Hey Squalo,
typed this up already and then had a power failure (storms) so I apologise for the brief nature of my description... I hate doing things twice :headwall:
p.s. I live between Berridale and Lake Eucumbene where me and the old man have a good big workshop set up (when I am not away fixing / driving harvest machinery)
I will get the old girl back on the hoist tomorrow (work permitting) and get some photos to go with my description.

I started with a Sanden SD508 (5cyl 8 C.F.M.) air con compressor from an 89 Rangie (you can use just about ANY Sanden compressor.
Consult google (or until I convert my next one) for how to convert.
Basically you drop the rear (not the piston end) housing and you will find an oil bleed screw between the sump and compression ends of the compressor.
I drilled and tapped this to accept a 5mm machine screw cut down into a grub screw to block this (stops grease getting into you air receiver / tank).
Then remove the drain bung from the body of the compressor and fit a grease nipple (1/8 gas threaded nipple screws straight in)
Mounting is a different story, not so easy as I also run the factory air con. TD's are notoriously tight to fit in a second compressor.
basically on the drivers side, it is tucked between the engine mount / timing cover / panhard rod. A 6mm plate contoured to the shape of the round timing cover plate (injector pump plate) meets the front mount on the compressor and an 8mm thick x 25mm wide metal strap runs from the rear of the compressor to a hole in the timing cover... uhhh, the vac pump from memory.
If configured correctly, it is perfect depth to convert the forward most (of the two) alternator belts to also run around the compressor.

As for the rest, it is switched from in the cab, naturally.
I cut the end off the original air con lines and fitted 1/2" air line to the alloy piece and glued the bugger (they have blown off on me before) which runs to a 't' piece inside the bullbar (near the winch)
As for a receiver, I used a fire extinguisher ( one you can disassemble the head of) and drilled and tapped the trigger hole to accept a 240V manual pressure regulator (runs fine on 12V) and then the guage comes off the side of the extinguisher head to accept a 1/8 gas air line fitting. its no rocket science, more people should do it!!!
The extinguisher is mounted between the lower rad panal and bulbar (used to run three small ones together between tailshaft and drivers sill for 22L of capacity but sub tank allow this not...):headwall:
And an outlet next to the upright on my bulbar. That easy.
Will fit a one way valve to the line one day (the compressor leaks back a 'lil) andmaybe a guage for *****s and giggles.

Hope this (and some photos tomorrow) helps ;)

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The old (now a donor) Trolley (Mk I)
She was TB42's Dual fuel 3 seater with 150L of gas behind the seats and homemade long drawers.
And though she only sat ~1.5" above standard, BOY did she droop well... Ah I do miss her.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new beast (Trolley Mk II)
the rest is shown below or in my garage

1,2,3 Photos from Dad's (and my) place
4 - my cargo area power arrangement
5 - dash centre (so far, missing a few switches until tomorrow(ish))
Still gotta fit a front locker switch, 2 compressor switches, rock and roof rack light switches, fuel guage tank changeover switch and the list goes on...

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
weekend toys.
Patrol running gear based buggy.
ARB lockers, 20" shocks, 39.5 Iroks, Home made mechanical rear drive disconnect, front and rear diff winches, full hydro steer, coolant runs through the frame to a whatever radiator I had out the back. I ove it!
1978 HZ Kingswood wagon...
Factory 308, 4sp, GTS dash,
Now VT commodore (tiger mica) burnt orange
15's, everything touched up a little, nothing over done (I think)
Needs a retrim inside and I wouldn't mind a set of 17's...

Not a patrol I know. But she's so pretty.
oh dear god... no wonder why I am soooo broke?!?! (even if the Kingswood was a hand me down from Mum)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Onboard air pics (the best I can do)

pic.1 - Modified the extinguisher head.
pic.2 - Front mount to timing cover - 6mm plate
pic.3 - Rear mount to pwr steer pivot bolt - 8mm steel strap

Upon further reflection, it DOESN'T line up to the alt belt, sorry, it lines up to the pwr steering belt - 13A1430 from memory (A56 industrial size)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, some shiny (expensive) new bits turned up today... Looks like I'll have to take a personal loan to go on my CSR trip in Winter now.
Hopefully the radiator, high flow thermostat and deleting the water pump gasket will hel the old girl keep a bit cooler, if not, will be putting a rear engine bypass line in... :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awning fit up.

Well, I got my awning on today (Dad bought it for me for Chrissy)
Never thought it would be a 20min fit up. pretty damn easy, but it is a tad flimsy compared to Dad's Hannibal one... But also 1/4 the cost :p

Also nearly cried when I looked at where I might put the anodes for the ERPS.
(Yeah I know, they technically don't work, but hey, it was free so it's worth a go! Innit?)
Everywhere I look there is surface rust forming. Blistering paint... Even some thin spots...
Actually, to be honest, I probably did cry with frustration, this will be the third expensive rust salvage vehicle I've owned. Never been near a beach, always cleaned, fish oiled, etc.
Washed with rain water...
I seriously just give up. So disheartening... :confused:

pic.1 - the new awning 2.5x2m Kings jobby
pic.2 - using the kits ropes to mark a straight line for top row of bolts - measured as so the awning sits marginally lower than the top rain of the rack.
pic.3 - OH&S rated hold me ups so I can line up bolts in the freshly drilled holes
pic.4 & 5 - lining it up!
pic.6 - ON AND TESTED (27 min later!)
pic.7 - thought I'd put up a pick of the fuse box from aux. battery for *****s and giggles.
also has fusible link box under bonnet (from Subaru Brumby) for the Amp, Power Inverters and (as pictured) fuse bank power supply... Yeah, I am a little paranoid of electrical fires... and rust.....

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrow might try and fit the second solid window to the rear and sort out why the hell the central locking doesn't work int the rear doors.
Or fix the tacho,
Or fit the Recaro's,
Or fit the front locker compressor and wire it up,
Or give underneath a good wash and coat of bitumous paint,
Or adjust the tappets,
Or fit up the rock lights,
Or the rack mounted 4wding / camping lights...
Hmmm. What to do indeed!!!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Bloody hell that buggy looks like fun! No wonder you're broke haha!

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, the buggy honestly owes me less than the Patrol... 😓
Actually. Pretty well on par...

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Blake,

You ended up with NAM's old Patrol buggy yeah? Do you have many pics of it back from the old days when there was still some patrol chassis going on in there? Or even after you guys modded it the first time?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Hey Squalo,
typed this up already and then had a power failure (storms) so I apologise for the brief nature of my description... I hate doing things twice :headwall:
p.s. I live between Berridale and Lake Eucumbene where me and the old man have a good big workshop set up (when I am not away fixing / driving harvest machinery)
I will get the old girl back on the hoist tomorrow (work permitting) and get some photos to go with my description.
Thanks for the info!

I grew up in Cabramurra in the seventies. The Snowy Mountains is flat out the best part of Australia.

Reactions: gqpatrol15

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, we bought Nams buggy and reframed it with Carltons mk II frame and put air ahocks n gear with it. So good!!! Have heaps of origional and since photos. Will post when I get some time. Currently packing for a harvest job starting Sunday week in S.A.

And Squalo, my mum grew up in Cabra in the 70s too. The Davis' s if you knew them. Lived at the top of the old chairlift.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And yeah. Still got the old (patrol chassis) frame. Haven't brought myself to sell it. I comped at the 06 We.Rock finals at Walbundrie in it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts