Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for a while and picking up some info which has helped with my build so figure it's time to start a build thread on Patrol 4x4, I've got build threads on a couple of other forums so the rig will be familiar to some members on here, will copy some posts across to get things up to date.

I bought myself an 01 model GU coil cab in March this year after rolling my ute chopped 100 series Cruiser.

All pretty standard under the bonnet, second battery, ARB battery tray and the snorkel is about it.

Well, sorted out a few things on the ute this morning, installed a new stereo, and tidied up behind the dash.

Started by removing this, everything had been added to the power circuit for the stereo, while it was terrible workmanship by whoever did the intsall it made things very easy for me to tidy up :D

The replacement, cut the factory loom plug off and soldered and double heatshrinked the new section to it.

The new head unit, Alpine CDE-125EBT, offers full Ipod control from the head unit, also full Parrot Bluetooth handsfree for phones, had one of these in the WRX for a month now and loving it, only $299 not much more expensive than a handsfree kit alone.

Bought this for $140 off Gumtree this morning, I've got a pair now, spoke to the guy who mod plated the Recaro in my 100 series and got the go ahead to convert the ute to a 2 seater, it will then be mod plated for the aftermarket seats and change in seating capacity.

Got a few more jobs done on the GU.

Fitted up my IPF HID lights to it, can see again at night now :D

Pulled the brake caliper slide pins today and chucked some CopaSlip on them, 1 was pretty well locked in place, a couple of others were a little tight, pulls up really well now.

Have managed to track down all the parts I need to convert it from bench seats to buckets, Recaro bases for my 2 seats, centre console and factory overhead console are all making their way across the country, should hopefully all arrive this week.

Have sorted out my road wheels, ordered a set of Mickey Thompson Classic Lock alloys in a 16x8, -12 offset, this gives me a 44mm increase in track width, staying within the allowable 50mm for engineering. For the tyres will be running a 295/75/16 BFG All Terrain, picked these up secondhand today, they give a 45mm increase over standard tyre size, again within the 50mm limit. Aim is to engineer these together with a 4-5 inch lift. Offroad will just run my claws again, probably on a set of beadlocked sunnies.

New tyres, only a couple of thousand k on them, just a touch under 34", won't be running these rims but couldn't resist chucking one on this arvo to see how the tyres fit.

The rims I have on order have about 30mm less offset than this one so won't have the wide stance but will at least be legal.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dual battery system on the GU is now sorted :D

Already had the second battery and ARB tray in place when I bought the ute, was just using a basic solenoid and manual switch to control it though, there were also signs that some acid had leaked from the second battery at some stage. Removed the tray and all existing wiring today and started from scratch. As there was no sign of damage to the case of the second battery I chucked it on my smart charger which turned out to be a mistake, when the charger reached its recondition phase I had a fairly impressive waterfall of acid dripping off my metal workbench, seems the last owner might have been a bit over enthusiastic topping up electrolyte levels, workbench has never looked so shiny before!!

Gave the battery tray a wire buff and fresh coat of paint where the acid had affected it.

Put my oversized crimpers to work again making the battery leads up, ended up putting my Optima in place of the second battery. Fuse box for accessories is installed on the firewall, just need to run power to it now.

Redarc hiding in behind the second battery, I have an ABR sidewinder battery monitor to install once I sort out the interior.

Might have to look at upgrading headlights, look pretty dim next to the HID spotties.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorted out a few more bits on the ute today, I've got an ABR sidewinder dual battery monitor to fit once my centre console arrives, it also has a link function on it which can trigger the solenoid to connect both batteries for emergency starting etc. The battery monitor gives a negative trigger to the solenoid to link the two batteries, my Redarc however requires a positive trigger to link the batteries :? there were two options to get around this, I could add an extra relay to the system or open the battery monitor and rearrange a few wires, I chose the second one :twisted:

Started with this.

Couple of wires joined and an extra one added, now it gives a positive trigger to link the batteries.

Jury rigged under the bonnet to make sure things are working as they should.

Won't be needing these anymore, chucked a set of factory bump stops back in.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, another job done, last few interior bits and pieces arrived in Hobart today so set about fitting the Recaros and centre console.

Seats are in and finished, console requires a couple of brackets to be finished off, will also cut holes next to the gearstick boot and fit my compressor and locker switches in there, battery monitor will go in where the ashtray should be behind the gearstick boots.

Will take it in tomorrow morning to be inspected for aftermarket seating and change in seating capacity, wonder how long the mod plate will take to arrive this time :roll:

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recaro seats were inspected and approved yesterday :armsup: just waiting on Transport to send out the mod plate now.

Finished off tidying up the centre console install today.

Figured I might as well fit the compressor and locker switches now rather than have to pull it all out again.

Hadn't tried one of the plastic cutting blades on the Dremel before, job done in about 2 minutes!

The ashtray was missing from the centre console when I bought it, bit of ply and speaker carpet and I've got a tidy little surround for the dual battery monitor.

Enlarged the hole slightly on the console section so I can fit two ARB switches in, the cap on the one mounted there will be replaced with a winch isolator cap, also ordered a DPDT ARB style switch for winch in/out which will be mounted below it.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit more of a play with the GU this arvo.

These turned up in the mail.

Required dissasembly of half the cab :roll: I HATE pulling car trim out!!

Not sure how this bracket is normally attached, holes were was too large for self tappers, After very carefully drilling the holes out a little larger a couple of rivnuts sorted the problem.

Getting there. few nervous moments while cutting the roof lining to fit the console.

Just need to wire it all in tomorrow.

Speaker was mounted here when I bought the ute, just needed to run the cable up to the roof console.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished off the console and UHF installation.

Added another fuse block under the dash, hooked the UHF up to this one, will also be the power source for my GPS plotter and other accessories as I install them.

Power to the fuse block comes through a circuit breaker from the main battery.

We have light, always a good sign!

This turned up yesterday, 4 days between submitting my application and picking up the mod plate, can't complain about that :D

·
Registered
628 Posts
Looks good mate

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found time for one more job on the Patrol before I fly back to work for a couple of months. Rear coil brace arrived today, has been sitting in Tas since the 6th of April but due to the stupidity of a local courier only found its way to my address this morning after tearing a few strips off them yesterday arvo :twisted:

Coil towers were straight so hopefully this should keep them that way!

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back home from work again so had a play with the ute this arvo, gained 4" clearance at the rear end and it didn't cost a cent :armsup:

As it started, fuel tank had been lowered to give enough clearance between the chassis and tray for the spare wheel, this was fine for the builder who owned it previously, there isn't a mark underneath so probably hasn't been anywhere rougher than a building site, I want clearance though.

Hooked in with the plasma and cut the frame out.

Scrap metal!

Much better, not sure what made me think this was a good job to tackle alone on a Sunday arvo with the tank still a quarter full but got there in the end :roll:

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the torrential rain and wind working outside wasn't an an option today so decided to mount the winch on the Patrol.

While the factory recovery hooks look pretty sturdy in the Patrols there have been a couple torn apart during club trips so it had to go!

The replacement....a solid lump of 16mm steel plate from Superior Engineering.

Almost done, everything mounted up and ready to go back on the car, engine crane came in handy, was getting a bit heavy by this stage with the winch in place.

The trusty Warn XP in place, the 6HP motor caused a few headaches, it's too long to mount in the bar in the factory position so had to lift the winch above the chassis rails, the bottom set of bolts that go through the fairlead are in what would normally be the top bolt holes if mounting a smaller winch such as the Warn XD.

All done.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another little job done on the Patrol

Mounted up the ARB compressor, ended up putting it in under the passenger seat.

Compressor in place, mounted on the passenger seat frame.

Chucked in a circuit breaker close to the battery. The fuse in the ARB loom is mounted closest to the compressor end of the loom so would be useless if the cable was damaged where it goes through the firewall.

Seat back in place, there's at lest 150mm between the compressor and base of the seat so heat shouldn't be a problem, nice easy access to the air coupling too.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made a start on some sliders.

Brackets tacked together.

Checked it was all straight then finished welding them up.

Few laps around some washers with the plasma cutter to get the material to cap the ends of the tube.

Capped off.

Main bar will sit at roughly this level, using 40NB tube this time, went for 32NB on the set I made for the hunjy, it was plenty strong enough but the extra size should look better. Stopped play at this point to go pick up my new wheels.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Continued on with the sliders.

Final bracket for the front, will bolt it to the front body mount.

Taking shape. Yep that rear bracket is huge will tie in the roll bar/cab guard to this when I start modifying the tray.

Just need to add the second section of pipe now, also chucked the wheels on for a look, was a bit worried about whether I'd get a massive case of the Datsun wobbles running unbalanced beadlocked rims with the claws but they're spot on, drives perfectly :D

Passenger side almost finished, just needs a little bit more bracing off the chassis mounts.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished off the sliders.

Little bit of added strength.

All painted, will eventually get them powder coated but still have to add some mounting points for the tray mounted rollbar when I start playing with the tray.

Sliders fitted.

Radius arm spacers/washers are in, have to really flex it up for a look now but I think I might get away with 35's and factory suspension for a while.

This turned up in the mail.

I wasn't looking forward to trying to add the new fittings to the gearbox and transfer case, eventually realized that the factory breather uses a combination of steel lines joined by rubber hoses, quick rummage through my air fitting and I made these up, keeps the breathers factory back to the engine bay then joins into the new system.

Fitted up, can just see in the bottom of the photo where I connected into the factory breather for gearbox and transfer, this allowed me to remove all the steel lines that ran across to the passenger side guard.

Picked up a shower heat exchanger and deck wash pump cheap at the markets this morning, I haven't got any immediate plans for the heat exchanger but the pump may well find its way under the tray or bonnet, had a couple of very slow return trips from the Huon with the 100 series getting a bit warm due to a mud blocked radiator, gave the pump a try this morning and it moves more than enough water to wash out radiator fins, all that would be needed would be a couple of lengths of hose.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next job was the tray, starting with the roll bar upfront which will be much the same as my old 100 series.

Notching the spacers.

2 bars bent up and ready to go.

Looking pretty bare with the tray removed, spent a fair time underneath this one at the car yard before buying it checking there were no cracks in the coils towers, was relieved to find none today with the tray removed for a better view.

Into the scrap pile for the old headboard, will no doubt be recycled in pieces for future projects.

Added another section of RHS across the front of the tray, notched the ends for the roll bar to go into, roll bar clamped into place for a test fit.

Welded some 6mm plate into the corners of the tray to give me a mounting point for the second bar to go in.

Tray back in place, first section of the roll bar is welded in with the cross brace tacked into place.

View from up front.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Second bar and spacers are tacked in place

Cut the arse end off.

Spaced the stays wide enough apart so the large space case lid can open between them, on the 100 series I spaced them far enough apart to fit a 35" spare between them, this time I can fit a 44 in should I decide to Upgrade!

Rear end of the stays are welded to these pads.

Side view.

As it sits at the end of the day, everything is tacked into position awaiting welding.

Added on the final section of the front bar that ties into the sliders, also ground off the old drop side mounts while I was at it.

Added some C section to the rear slider mount for the bar to bolt up to.

Stopped work at this point as the rain was running down the inside of my welding helmet....not fun!

1 - 20 of 324 Posts