Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gq tb42 on gas/petrol.....and my heaters are crap. Eventually get some heat out of them but nothing too extreme. Any ideas on how to improve the heat output?

The previous owner locked the hub on the clutch fan....i figured it could be running to cool and effecting the heaters so replaced the hub but temp gauge didnt move and heaters didnt improve.

Since its running gas, could the converter be absorbing all the heat before it goes through the heater core? I haven't looked at the heater hoses yet to see how they run so will have a looksy at that today.

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
Two possible problems with your heaters that I can think of...
Most likely is that the thermostat is missing or stuck open.
Other possibility is the heater hoses or heater core are blocked by crud from running without coolant in the radiator.

Is the water in the radiator green??

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
You can get a GQ rear heater OEM Nissan. They a very rare but can be found in the JDM market and not very costly around 150$ for the rear heater that runs of the engine coolant. You can close up a % of your radiator with radiator cover like we do in Canada on our Peterbilts Trucks to get more heat in the radiator.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Two possible problems with your heaters that I can think of...
Most likely is that the thermostat is missing or stuck open.
Other possibility is the heater hoses or heater core are blocked by crud from running without coolant in the radiator.
as above but also the heater core blocked by dirt etc blocking air flow through it. i don't know if yours has filters on it or not.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Yeah my engine runs a bit too cool and as a result my heating isn't great either. I think my thermostat is stuck open as the temp will climb when going up hills but never to the point of worrying about it. I think my highest recorded temp after a huge hill towing my camper was 80 degrees. She runs day to day at about 50-65 degrees.

I just look at it and say I've got more headroom when on the loud pedal.

·
Registered
GU Patrol
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only has water in it at the moment. Perhaps i better try flushing it all, and checking the core for crap around it.

I chucked a new thermostat in it today. Chucked the old and new one in a pot of water together and cranked up the heat. The old one opens a bit sooner then the new one so hopefully the motor runs a little hotter now and gives me more heater temp lol

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Anybody know if the import safari heaters are better? My safari heater pumps out the heat, it's hot as, have to turn it off. I have a rear heater but never turned it on.
I think there the same but I do know my ME version is cooking on 32 degrees at full whack. I think the euro version has the best as they have to be able to de-ice a car in less then 3 or 4 minutes and maintain a heat level under some EU regulations. Not sure if the thermostat has a higher level of temp and then a different water pump to control the heat range. I was in south of France in my GU7 and it was -4 and no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts