Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Haha yeah I did think it was a bit yuppie:p:beer:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
hahaha, Is the bogans #1 choice in Japan :p

this is a sweet build!

How are you finding the parabolic springs?
Thanks Mate !
So far so good, defiantly a lot more comfortable on the road Vs the eleptical ones I had.
Im yet to do shocks and bumps (doing very soon) but offroad they really come to life.
Whilst there is a bit more body roll the flex is just stupid for a leaf sprung truck.

When westralia springs says they are comparable to coils they kind of are ..... to some extent on road the ride is enhanced over eliptical springs but they don't match coils.

Offroad however, I have no doubt that once I've done shocks and bumps the front end will articulate alot more that a traditional radius arm/coil set up (hell it dose atm with the rubbish EFS front shocks I have). Combined with the rear end working in unison and the fact leafs lose no where near as much spring rate as coils when compressed the overall set up is bloody fantastic with the one exception of not being as kind to the kidneys as coils.

I'll chuck some pics up in the not to distant future of the springs really working

on another slightly related note:
and if you guys are lucky I'll find a spoon drain, my tape measure and dig my front sway bar out of the shed ;) ..... lol sry couldn't resist :bananada:

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Gettin close to going offroad again !
Hitting bribie in a week for a bit of a shake down before the cape (21 days to go !!!), see what falls off ! haha

Been busy doing all sorts of things and as always pic fest inc !

- Did some more under the hood, finished the intake manifold install, still need to get into engineers shop for a proper IC mount to be made
- New washer bottle + lines and nozzles
- New rad overflow, no more beer can !
- lexan in the lid of the sparky box
- cleaned the filter, fookin hate this k&n thing, way too small
- pulled the turbo down for an inspection and shes sweet as

Did the body mounts, saying they were well rooted is an understatement ....

Picked up a tradies rack and el'cheap awning !, all mounted atop some bars I got the engineer to make up a while ago. Also got both my spares fitted to rims and strapped down.

Only have shocks and IC mount to go now, can't wait to hit the road, been to long building and not enough time getting it dirty !

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Looks mint, this post has given me some ideas for when I pick up my 88 leafy patrol ute in the holidays. Black paint all round looks sweet too. Great post, cheers

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Had Mr Zordo put some nice dobinsons in during the week with a rear shock lower mount conversion so set out to give the suspension and body mounts a rough time on Bribie yesterday.

Set up on the beach up the north end for a fish then got out on high when the wind picked up causing the swell to come right up, chewed thru the soft **** and gave the snail some real curry, loved every min of it.

Got onto the inland track at about 10pm and gave the suspension a real workout on the way to poverty point. That inland track is ****ed ... some of the best corros I've seen (for mainly sand) o_O
Truck handled it really well, felt very solid, no nasty noises or rattling.

11 days till the cape !

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Cheers guys, I'm pretty happy with how its sitting atm but have a few more ideas i'll be tinkering with after the cape :D

The LED lights are insane Rusty, gave them a good run on the inland track and it truly is a "wall of light"
If anything they kinda make the lightforce HID's useless. I might get rid of the lightforces in the future and look into those LED spots that seem to be getting good reviews atm and relocate the LED's on the bull bar wings at the same time !

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got back from the cape a week ago now and its fair to say I put the junker to the test. Did 6000km's in total with 2k of them being on corrugated roads and 4x4 tracks.

Overall the truck did really well and ate everything I pointed it at with ease. The new suspension was a bit rough over the corros for the first 2 days but 'bedded' in and was actually quite nice over the rougher stuff at speed.
The truck suffered a bit of damage from the trip, the most serious being a blown passenger side hub seal. Everything else was more of a learning experience on how to mod and change what I have to better set the vehicle up for long distance touring.

After meeting up with our crew in Laura on a Friday night; a 200 series V8, an older style hilux (ifs front leaf rear) and 3 guys on dirt bikes (one on a hardcore KTM ... lol) we set off the following morning.

On day one we set straight off into Rinvirru National Park to avoid the development road, threw a few lures in some water holes and around kenedys bend but nothing of notable size was pulled out. We carried on through the national park and came out at Musgrave Road House for lunch and fuel then pushed on through Coen and the Archer River Road House to arrive at Moreton Telegraph Station for the night.

Day two saw us tackle the OTL with a quick stop at Bramwell Junction Road House for brunch (the food there is damn good, try the burgers!)
The OTL was pretty tame overall, the hardest crossing was the first with a pretty loose rutted creek exit which saw alot of loud pedal in 1st low. We did all the other river crossings (names escape me atm, would have to check my map) APART from the actuall "gunshot" - we took one of the bypass tracks down but it still wasn't what one would call a cake walk. Gunshot itself is about 18ft high from the bog to the entry and is steep as hell.
I did get out and have a good look from the top and contemplated doing it for a good 10 mins or so but in the end put my skirt on and took the chicken track ....

After the OTL we pushed on to Eliot Falls for the night, only accessible by a 60m long, 1m deep, stagnant, muddy water/bog crossing. Had a swim at the falls, truly is an amazing place to go for a dip.

Day three saw us set of early again and get up to the Jardine River Ferry ($130 return for a 40m crossing :/). Once over the river we shot up to Punsand bay for the night and stayed in the camping area there.

That afternoon before dinner we shot up the to the cape, took some pics at the sign (as you do) and had a bit of a fish, one of the boys was throwing a decent sized popper on an overhead and hooked up the what we can only assume was a big arse trevor, put a huge curve in the rod and dragged him over some structure and snapped him off. I had a bit more luck throwing a little bass spinner / plastic on 4lb gear and pulled a little coral trout (i think) out right in front of the tip sign!

Punsand is defiantly a huge highlight of the trip, they have this wicked bar just up from the beach with wood fired pizzas and an awesome menu. A mate and I spit a pizza (the cape yorker) and I had the freshly caught Spanish Mackerel. Was without a doubt the best pizza I have ever had in QLD and the fish was so fresh it was still kicking. Mind you it went back even better with a few icy cold rumbos from the bar!

I stayed up pretty late that night and drowned some bait right in front of camp, no joy .... Was fishing with 30lb braid, 20lb fluro-carbon and a nice big circle hook with a whole baby squid on the end .... not a take all night :/

Day four was a bit of a driving day, we got into Fruitbat Falls for lunch and a swim. Another A1 swimming spot with awesome "mini" falls that where dubbed "natures massager" by the crew, standing under them gave instant relief to any neck or back pain!
On the road again we made it back to Moreton station - great spot btw (minus there farkin noisy generator) then had time to walk a fair portion of the Wenlock peggin lures for barra. No joy again ... :/ Had dinner at Moreton, was pretty good and nice to have a hot meal cooked by someone else for a change!

Day five and we hit the road again heading south. We jumped on the Frenchmans Track and had a ball. IMO (and the other guys) it was harder than the OTL, the Pascoe being the highlight! Took almost 5 hours to do and its only 42km long! After that we shot into Lockhart river for fuel (only worth going in there for fuel and even then the place is a ****hole :/) then back north a bit, through the Kutini Payanu Nation Forest (nice drive through there) and out to Chilli beach for the night. Another highlight, was a freaking fantastic spot with great views. Sat on the beach there and smashed a few coldies.

Day 6 saw us on the road for most of the day, we got into Laura at about 4pm after checking out and passing by Mt Tozer, the Wenlock River, Archer for fuel and lunch (get the Archer Burger, freaking spot on!) then down through Coen and so on.

Had a huge Feed at the Laura pub that night, the rump was 30cm long and a good inch thick, everyone got on the turps and had a brilliant time recounting bits and pieces from the last action packed week.

The trip was great, I'll defiantly be doing it again but more focused on fishing and taking more time. We were flat chat for a solid week and fitted alot in this time round.

Anyways here are some pics! - As I just got home I'm still waiting to get the rest of the pics / vid from everyone else on the trip. These are just a few I grabbed along the way!

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The trip was a real eye-opener on what I need to tweak to make the truck a better tourer soooo the modding has started once again!

Moving the tray forward and lining the bed with something more practical, getting some under tray water storage, some new door mirrors, all new air con stuff behind the dash, some bucket seats etc etc etc

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Cheers, nah, I lost half the mount tho ;) the corrugations are pretty nasty up there, rattled most of the aircon components loose in behind the dash, killed one window motor, both mirrors broke internally, ripped the mounts out of the windscreen washer bottle but the only thing that was of any concern was the oil seal.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,961 Posts
Nice photos. Sounds like a good trip!
That DC3 wreck is cool.

MQ/MK mirrors could be a nice upgrade, they stick out a bit further, but give very good visibility and the mounting is quite solid. They mount differently to GQ mirrors though, they bolt through the actual door. If you're only replacing them because your current ones are broken, then disregard this :p

Looks like you lost a bit of oil out of that seal, at least it wasn't something major though.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
366 Posts
Love this thread and love all the pics. You really have one of the best looking vehicles on this forum, one of a kind. Fantastic.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts