Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Nice work!
An auto??? This makes your diff scenario very interesting as the only factory autos listed by Nissan were L28's, which never got 3.3 diffs.

Aftermarket AC too, I've not seen that in a Patrol before!

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
Well done , Looks like lots of work to get her going again.
Yes no heater and 2 under dash ac units.
I have thought as this as I have a mint under dash unit in the shed.
need heater in winter though.

·
Registered
nissan patrol lwb
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks , James the l28 is long gone but I am working on another conversion with a bit more power ...by the way do you have an idea as to what ratio diffs these autos came with I still haven't opened the front diff plate to check the ratio [email protected] neo6gu it was a lot to get her going and still more work to be done she has a SOA with an added leaf but I was thinking maybe a 3 inch body lift but my girl gets difficulty to get in as it is now LOL!!! and as for the AC u need as much as you can get in the Caribbean I was thinking of moving one to the back to spread the coolness out a bit so the entire van is same temp but I have to get a good location any ideas......and by the way has anyone turned the bottom of their seats into storage I was thinking of this as the seats are pretty high off the floor and I think this might work.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Thanks , James the l28 is long gone but I am working on another conversion with a bit more power ...by the way do you have an idea as to what ratio diffs these autos came with I still haven't opened the front diff plate to check the ratio [email protected] neo6gu it was a lot to get her going and still more work to be done she has a SOA with an added leaf but I was thinking maybe a 3 inch body lift but my girl gets difficulty to get in as it is now LOL!!! and as for the AC u need as much as you can get in the Caribbean I was thinking of moving one to the back to spread the coolness out a bit so the entire van is same temp but I have to get a good location any ideas......and by the way has anyone turned the bottom of their seats into storage I was thinking of this as the seats are pretty high off the floor and I think this might work.
Are you going to try and get more power out of the P40 or are you going to try a different engine? I reckon there's a LOT of potential in the P40... it's a tough engine and has a lot of room for improvement.
A nice low compression ratio so it would mate well to a turbo, replace the carby with EFI, or if you didn't want a turbo, shave the head a bit to bring up the compression, extractors.... Sorry I'm getting carried away.

Anyway, as far as I know auto L28's only had 4.6 diffs, but my knowledge is mainly limited to Australian cars.. overseas models may be different.

Personally I wouldn't do a 3" body lift since you already have SOA, it will make the truck VERY high and unstable. A 3" body lift will cause you to run into a few issues anyway: lower radiator shroud, brake and clutch lines, gear shifter levers and steering column will all need modification.

·
Registered
nissan patrol lwb
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
James i am looking into a pontiac v8 with a t4 turbo transmission just a bit unsure if ill have to move the transfer case back which i would be hesitant to do...ill remove the clutch fan as i have an electrical fan installed over the radiator already which should give me more room to play with and in theory the v8 should be shorter than the straight 6 so i can move the engine fwd to compensate for the slightly longer tranny might just have to move the engine mount fwd and not shift the transfer case back ....i hope this wont affect her handling but in a lwb this might not be an issue as it might be with a swb (pro for LWB?) ......

As for the 3 inch lift it might not be needed as 33's fit already with plenty of wheel arch still untouched so i should be good up tp 37's with the SOA but i may not go so big but its tempting....ill reporpose the 3 inch body lift i have for another project my 60 series as i dont want to go SOA with that project just a bit higher to fit some 35's..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts