Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I had many bikes in our younger years. We always said that when the kids are grown up and can look after themselves we would then again get another bike thatw can just get on and nick off for a weekend away.

So we bought a 2003 BMW K-1200GT. Bloody beautiful bike. So smooth and pulls like a turbine. We pick it up next week. I didn't get any pics of it when I went to look at it. The "boss" had my phone.

This is the same as we bought.

I'm thinking a set of knobbies and taking the panniers off and giving Glasshouse a go...bwahahahaha..

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
You are a brave man Rastus. I wouldn't get on one of those things if you paid me. But good luck, you are an experienced driver and should know what to expect.

I wouldn't try it at Glasshouse, too heavy and too low, you'd get bogged in the first ten minutes.

How's that for a cheerful boost?

I'll have another beer now. I've done my public duty.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Good stuff. BMW make nice bikes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
braver man than me. every bike I had I broke
I'm damn lucky all my limbs are the same length and not modified through accidents.

gave up owning bikes 37 years ago :)

bloke at work has just got rid of his Harley and bought the latest bimmer - it's got more electric gizmos than a dick smith shop.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Hope it works out well for you. I hope...

I rode bikes for years. Would never get another one.

I was off them for years (cold weather climates are not conducive to the past time), since then much has changed.

I am older, reflexes are slower and you are going to ‘re-learn’ how to ride a bike in heavy traffic, a lot more traffic that there was back then as I am sure you will agree.

The amount of morons on the road now is not directly proportional to the increase of cars. The morons have grown exponentially.

And you cannot get around the fact that the biggest growth percentage of bike deaths is attributed to bikes is the older ‘born again’ 40+ biker.

As I say, I hope it works out for you mate, but be very careful...

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
That's a great looking bike. I bet you and the missus are rapt.
Nothing better to get the excitement flowing and her feeling frisky. Happy days.;)

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Hope it works out well for you. I hope...

I rode bikes for years. Would never get another one.

I was off them for years (cold weather climates are not conducive to the past time), since then much has changed.

I am older, reflexes are slower and you are going to ‘re-learn’ how to ride a bike in heavy traffic, a lot more traffic that there was back then as I am sure you will agree.

The amount of morons on the road now is not directly proportional to the increase of cars. The morons have grown exponentially.

And you cannot get around the fact that the biggest growth percentage of bike deaths is attributed to bikes is the older ‘born again’ 40+ biker.

As I say, I hope it works out for you mate, but be very careful...

X2

and be safe !

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,113 Posts
You will never be able to afford estcoves SWB at this rate uncle.

Should be a good thing, but as DB & L J have mentioned, be careful.;)

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Hey, motorbikes are fun. I had a root on one once, donkey style, and the stand was well anchored on a concrete slab. Never did it again but it went into the log book.

·
17,113 Posts
Hey, motorbikes are fun. I had a root on one once, donkey style, and the stand was well anchored on a concrete slab. Never did it again but it went into the log book.

Dont give him any ideas esty, he can get in enough 5hit himself.:lol:

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,656 Posts
I took a YZF1000 for a blast last week. Brought back memories why I stopped riding them. My license would be gone in a week. Realising that I was wearing shorts and t shirt whilst taking a series of corners at 150 also reminded me that I am indeed insane and should not have a bike that fast again.
Have fun with it rastus. You'll have to bring it over to my place to show me in person.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Agreed. BMW do make very nice bikes. But yes as you laugh at, it might need a few mods to tackle Glasshouse from what I've heard. Never been there. Maybe you should have bought one of these. LOL. Enjoy mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
Nice bike.
I've had bikes all my life, mainly tourers, but a few road rockets as well. My favorite road rocket was my 900 Darma, a very contagious Ducati. I named that one "lucky", lucky that I didn't kill myself on it. Road many BM's but never owned one. My last bike was a 1500 Goldwing, one of many wings and my favorite model. When that went I came very close to buying a touring BM but ended up getting back into 4wd's.
I do miss them on early summer mornings, my favorite time to ride. I envy you.

Bazza

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
Good one. Beemers have a reputation that they go forever. I have always had bikes (and still do) I prefer them to 4wds for touring - except I cannot fit the wife AND kids on.

Enjoy !

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
We all know that this is a risky pastime.
Simmoevo, a truly tragic story there that has brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure there is many like this unfortunately.

While I don't know you all very well at the moment, let's lighten up the subject a little.
Rastus is no spring chicken by the sound as his kids have moved out and he's back into ultimate freedom.

I'm sure he is well aware of the risks, so let's not rain on his parade too much. Exciting times.
Let's hear the fun stories.

Now Estcove........was that on a trip to Asia with half a dozen chicks on the scooter?

·
17,113 Posts
Well rastus,

Did you get it???????????

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I've been riding bikes for 45 years now. Had a few BMW's including a K1200RS that I set my fastest ever top speed on (a few times:)

Now I'm old and retired (sort of), all I've got is a DR 650 adventure tourer - 36 litre tank, all the sump guards etc and a heap of scratches from falling over on stupidly steep bits that my younger mates insist on taking me.

But that GT sure looks nice. Good job it's got cruise control in this day and age...

Enjoy, Rastus.

And can I suggest a training course to update your skills? I did one a few years ago and boy did I have some bad habits to lose!! If you haven't been riding much you'll be rusty. I went to Australian Superbike School (Oran Park in the rain - eek!) and they were excellent.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts