Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just thought I would share my ongoing build with people. I bought this old rusty girl a few months ago and have gone about slowly repairing and doing the old girl up. As you can see by the photos she had some rust. So first of all I set about repairing the roof and cutters as there was some holes that water was entering. I started out by trying to cut out the bad rust areas in little patches. And just repair a little area at a time. But a day into it I wasn’t having much success as the patches I was welding in I was just blowing holes in areas that were week, also I didn’t like how the repair was comming out and the look with trying to match up gutters. So I decided to cut the hole gutters off and the top 50mm of the roof. And I am glad I did as the inner roof liner needed a lot more rust treatment then I first thought. I got some 1.6mm zinc coated plate bent up in the shape of the gutter and welded it to the roof just trying to shape it the best I could and takin it along as I went. I grinded back the welds touched up we’re I needed to grinded back again and then put some filler around where I needed to Mainly around where the chop had been done I then sanded back and just primed the roof with a primer spray can as I eventually will raptor coat the hole car. I have attached some photos of before and after and also some along the way. I wish I took more photos along the way but didn’t think I would be writing a post about it. I have never done anything like this before but watching U tube and reading post on this site gave me the confidence to give it a crack. It’s probably not show room quality but I am happy with how it turned out and recommend to anyone who is thinking about it to give it ago. I am not a welder by any stretch of the imagination but with a little bit of knowledge just enough to get me in trouble I was able to do not a bad job. Next plan on the list is I have a turbo and intercooler of a gu patrol that I am going to try and retro fit to fit the maverick then to finish the body repairs sand all back and raptor coat. Another thing I will be reading lots of posts about and U tube. I hope to keep you posted on the build

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 190 WIA mig welder and used .9 wire if I was going to do it again I would go .6 wire just cause there was a couple of times I burnt some holes were I was joining it and it just took abit longer to patch up but all in all pritty happy with how it turned out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts