Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol GU3 ZD30DI wagon
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you will understand from the title, my ZD30 has a leak - in the attached photo I have marked where the leak is with a yellow stripe. From the photo, it initally looked to be a failed gasket, but looking more closely at the alloy piece on the RH side of the join in the photo, there looks to be damage to the alloy face where it meets the cast iron face, possibly caused by hot gasses escaping and over time, taking some of the alloy with it.

Can anyone advise what I am looking at, and what I will need to do to repair it?

Thanks, Stephen

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,069 Posts
That is your EGR assembly. It will have a steel gasket in there which will have corroded over time. The leak will provide an exit point for the hot gases, which in time will erode the part on the right. That is what I found on an engine I did some work on recently.

Some cleaning up of the faces and a new gasket will likely have it fixed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is your EGR assembly. It will have a steel gasket in there which will have corroded over time. The leak will provide an exit point for the hot gases, which in time will erode the part on the right. That is what I found on an engine I did some work on recently.

Some cleaning up of the faces and a new gasket will likely have it fixed.
Hi @GQshayne - do you know whether I can just block it off, as has been done to the other end of the EGR? It would seem to be the best thing to do, given the gases aren't going anymore, to where Nissan intended them to go.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
16,802 Posts
I would just do as Sayne said..Dont want any silly faults.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hi @GQshayne - do you know whether I can just block it off, as has been done to the other end of the EGR? It would seem to be the best thing to do, given the gases aren't going anymore, to where Nissan intended them to go.
Ok, I did not know you had a non-functioning EGR system. If that is the case, a full gasket rather then one with a hole in it, will do the same job.

This however raises the question - why is it leaking if it is blocked off elsewhere??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I did not know you had a non-functioning EGR system. If that is the case, a full gasket rather then one with a hole in it, will do the same job.

This however raises the question - why is it leaking if it is blocked off elsewhere??
I suspect it's because (if) the other end is blocked off (and I suspect it is, given how clean the IC is internally), then that leads to some pressure in the EGR system putting extra pressure on the corroding metal gasket, and et voila, the hot gases start to get passed the gasket. I'm hoping someone can tell me whether the block-off plates you see for sale on the internet fit this end of the EGR?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I cannot comment on block-off plates as I have never seen them. But anything I did would be to block of the system BEFORE where you have your leak, at the previous flange. It would not be under any pressure then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts