Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while driving around in my own little world, stereo blazing, the NADS( NISSAN ANTI DETONATION SYSTEM) Saved my butt.

After bypassing the vacuum canister successfully on the top of the rocket cover and using a temporary plastic hose joiner, before I hard plumbed it in, It snapped !

Drooped all vacuum pressure to the turbo, EGT went through the roof ( wasn't paying attention... remember in my own little world! :sleep:)
Happened to be climbing a little hill and felt the power was down. I thought I went into limp mode when I WOT it and to my horror looked up at the EGT Gauge and saw 550 C and climbing fast and no boost pressure ( less than 2psi WOT). Well I **** myself!!!!

Quick diagnosis on the side of the road in the heat( dam it) and found the little sucker.

Anyway, moral of the story, no NADS it would have gone BANG! Sub moral of the story pay more attention to the gauges you fit!

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
i watch mine . . . . mostly only if i feel something odd, or if im using the right foot liberally.

good to hear you saved it.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking back at it know, I think what help me out heaps was that I read/ installed the Dawes & needle valve myself. From the learning and advice on here.

This helped the diagnosis to happen really fast. As soon as I saw the actuater arm down and not moving when I fiddled with the needle valve, I immediately new no vacuum.. from there it was easy.

But I cant believe how I thought it was limp mode took my foot of the right peddle and gave it the "what for". I would normally monitor my gauges... Must be having to much fun trolling along :)
I know beter now thats for sure.

·
Registered
nissan partol gu 2
56 Posts
Good to hear she's all good. Would have been disappointing to have to rebuild again..

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I guess when I took to the tools to rebuild the whole truck, I decided very early in the Peace and stuck to the plan. I was not going to take any chances after reading so much and buying one blown already. I am sooooooooooo thankful I didn't bow to temptation and save some $ and do these after.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
G.U Bundy,
Good to hear all sfe and well. Csan happen so quick
I had similar issue only the pipe running from the throttle body was loose so under pressure was blowing off, i remember tightening it but must had some oil so slid off, was on freeway got max 7psi but kept eye on temp until got to work, cooled it down and redone all clamps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
EGT gauge incorporating a alarm set to go off if a preset EGT is achieved is a great weapon against exceeding engine EGT's.

Set mine to 500c which leaves the eyes to concentrate on the road ahead.

Normal driving never gets near 500c but when towing can scare the pants off ya.... best investment ever..

My 2 bobs worth

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Good on you GU Bundy, pleased it worked out OK and your correct when you play with the setup yourself your insight into what happens skyrockets.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
GU bundy or anyone with an answer: Call me an idiot when I ask this, But I had NADS on my car before I bought it, everything but the 2+ guages.

Now when I read up on the big bang theory :p sorry about the pun, are the guages necessary? My setup was done by a turbo / patrol guru called Mike Vinne at Mike Vinne Turbo's at redland bay and he said the guaged were unnecessary because everything else was done to it. blocked egr, limited boost.

I've got a nice amount of money floating around for when I get my car back from the panel beater. So why is it so important to have these guages. It's making me bonkers not knowing.

Cheers

Deccers

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
@Deccers91 - Fitting the gauges will let you know if something has gone wrong, like in the OP's first post - a hose comes off, or leaks. Having the gauge handy will give you instant feed back.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
@Deccers91 - Fitting the gauges will let you know if something has gone wrong, like in the OP's first post - a hose comes off, or leaks. Having the gauge handy will give you instant feed back.
Thanks for that Dronus.

So definitely get the boost n EGR. any others while I'm there?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
If you would like to keep a closer eye on things like your actual coolant temperature, and your MAF voltages etc grab an ECUTalk from NewKleer here on the forums, they are very handy also. Boost and EGT are probably the first things to get.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
GU bundy or anyone with an answer: Call me an idiot when I ask this, But I had NADS on my car before I bought it, everything but the 2+ guages.

Now when I read up on the big bang theory :p sorry about the pun, are the guages necessary? My setup was done by a turbo / patrol guru called Mike Vinne at Mike Vinne Turbo's at redland bay and he said the guaged were unnecessary because everything else was done to it. blocked egr, limited boost.

I've got a nice amount of money floating around for when I get my car back from the panel beater. So why is it so important to have these guages. It's making me bonkers not knowing.

Cheers

Deccers
Personally I would rank the EGT as the highest priority after seeing what mine would hit after installing it and not doing anything else, sure, as you do the NADS, EGT comes down on it's own and particularly after replacing the exhaust, not everyone is going to do all this so you can drive by the gauge.
To me, the EGT is a bit like a safety valve, you can see what is going on in the engine (the EGT reacts very quickly) and you can react accordingly. Wouldn't be without it.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I agree with Ross/Geeyoutoo.
In order of my preferance & what I drive to these days.

EGT & ECUtalk, then boost gauge as "MY ECU" does not give the Boost pressure on the ECUtalk gauge.

Coming back from a weekend away I had a max water temp of 96DegC (with buzzer sounding on ECUtalk) & EGT's of 600DegC for a 1 min period when climbing Cherry tree hill (out near Mudgee way).

Without these gauges, you would have no idea what your EGT's are when accelerating up steep long hills, I was able to back off the throttle a small amount and still achieve 95kph @ 550DegC @ 17PSI boost.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I agree with Ross/Geeyoutoo.
In order of my preferance & what I drive to these days.

EGT & ECUtalk, then boost gauge as "MY ECU" does not give the Boost pressure on the ECUtalk gauge.

Coming back from a weekend away I had a max water temp of 96DegC (with buzzer sounding on ECUtalk) & EGT's of 600DegC for a 1 min period when climbing Cherry tree hill (out near Mudgee way).

Without these gauges, you would have no idea what your EGT's are when accelerating up steep long hills, I was able to back off the throttle a small amount and still achieve 95kph @ 550DegC @ 17PSI boost.
When i was driving up into the Vic High Country on a really long winding climb into the mountains my Water temp hit 101 on the ECU talk. I pulled over and idled for a while. Found out later that if i turned my trans switch to Power it helped alot - I didnt have an EGT gauge fitted at the time - i hate to think what that was getting too..

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I would rank the EGT as the highest priority after seeing what mine would hit after installing it and not doing anything else, sure, as you do the NADS, EGT comes down on it's own and particularly after replacing the exhaust, not everyone is going to do all this so you can drive by the gauge.
To me, the EGT is a bit like a safety valve, you can see what is going on in the engine (the EGT reacts very quickly) and you can react accordingly. Wouldn't be without it.
Absolutely and unequivocally Agree.^^ It was the EGT that woke me up not the boost gauge or Dawes or needle or CC intecooler or catch can. These all became secondary diagnostic tools as such. But dont regret for one minute doing them all at once.
For me the NADS became the "must have" and everything else the "nice to have"
EGT = $ in the Bank FULL STOP.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Thanks for that. So in my head, having guages is just a way to measure what good and bad. So when I get them all installed. I won't know what's good and bad as stupid as that sounds. What do you do if the EGT gets up to a high level? etc

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for that. So in my head, having guages is just a way to measure what good and bad. So when I get them all installed. I won't know what's good and bad as stupid as that sounds. What do you do if the EGT gets up to a high level? etc
You just have to learn some of this stuff. Otherwise you just have to rely on good judgement. Trouble is, unless you learn stuff ahead of time the only way you get good judgement is by making bad judgement.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
For a start, work your way through this thread (below), sure there is a bit of banter in there from time to time but the numbers and conditions those numbers occurred at and written up by each poster will give you a good idea of what to aim for, there is DI (mainly) and some CRD. Some, like me, have updated when base conditions changed, very useful.

The reason I started the thread was, like you, to gather usable info I could relate to, and cut through some BS.

Good reading, hope it helps.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/egt-temp-survey-52005/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts