Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there every one can some one please name this part. One end is connected to the engine block and the other end to the ballist resister for the coil . The wire snapped today and caused the car to run like a dog box and made the taco jump up and down.I then rewired it up with an old one out of another truck and all is fixed,but i would like to buy a new one but dont know the name of the part or part number any help would be great cheers people

i think its a condensor but not ignition condenser have heard people call it a capacitor and a noise suppressor but there isnt any on the net for sale.

Attachments

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
also called a rf suppressor .I was under the impression from my experience that it only suppresses noise from fm radio on points ignitions.the condensor helps yr points stop burning out and is on the side of the distributor.both removed as well as ballast resistor when electronic ignition is fitted.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the petronix electronic ignition installed and this thing is still connected and so is the ballast resistor ??? as soon as its disconnected it runs like ****e like your about to run out of fuel feeling splutters and farts and the taco goes ape

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will it help me get back to the future of i hit 80mph with a coat hanger out the back lol joking so its got 3 names already ???

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey rickie its not that one you listed thats the one for the ignition and its been disconnected when i installed the petronix.The one im after sits mounted to the body near the coil a wire comes out each side 1 side to the engine block and 1 to the ballist resister

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
sorry mate going on the first picture i thought it was the single wire ones that goes on the back of your alternator disregard what i said

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's ok mate i pinched the first pic of Google the second pic is what i have so my bad and all good.Its a tb42 mate

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
don't know why a rf suppressor would make the motor run rough.you can run the pertronix through a ballast resistor with out a problem as Patrolapart recommends but a ballast resistors purpose is to give the points 12v on start up via starter solenoid which when key is released the ballast resistor resists and voltage drops to around 9.6v which is fine but not using the pertronix to it's full extent as it requires a constant 12v to perform at its peak.some old gq's wiring might not be up to it so on the side of caution this is a good idea and it gets rid of the points.bypassing ballast may be too much for the often forgotten original coil so an upgrade to a gt40- not gt40r- will help the pertronix module give a better spark and help it a bit more with an extended rotor

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
before this wire broke it had been running awesome for the last 6 months since my mate and i got rid of the points for some reason this little cylinder thing messes ****e up

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
while im not farmilair with carby fed patrols i know my old holdens and when people fit elec ignitions to cars fitted with points one of the best ways is to take the ballast wire which is 9v or around that and use that wire to trigger a relay that feeds the coil straight from the battery, the 9v wire is to stop the points burning out running on constant 12v

1 - 20 of 21 Posts