Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had a good search on here but haven't found a direct answer to what im after i purchased a fatz air box and its going to the standard nissan snorkel and im wondering what size connection i need to connect it from the snorkel to fatz air box

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
The fatz is 4 inch inlet? My airtec ( nissan) is a roughly 3 inch joiner through the guard to a bad 90 degree to the snorkel. You need to search Geordie 4x4 build thread in members ride.you will see what I'm saying when you see his mod to 4 inch from the snorkel tube through the guard with 4 inch silicone hose.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
No probs bud.post up some pics and step by step of your install when you get it sorted.I'll have a look gander :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol stl
14 Posts
Hi squires, I too have been thinking about fitting a fatz air box as part of my build up td42ti. Also wondered about compatibility with the Nissan snorkel. I have been thinking that if I'm going to push enough power for a fatz (150-160ish rwkw) then maybe the Nissan snorkel might be to restrictive and limit any potential gains from the air box?

Thoughts anyone who can impart some knowledge on this one?

A what point does the genuine Nissan snorkel become restrictive?

How does this compare to a safari or 4" stained?

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Mate I recently fitted the fatz box and 4inch snork....so cant comment on how the box will go with standard snork. I can say that I think the 4inch snork with a standard box would probably defeat the purpose. However running the std turbo with new box and snork is a big big improvement...even egts have had a significant drop.

You will need to go 4 into 3 reduction pipe anyway if you keep the standard snork so I would definately get rid of all the standard pipe work inside the guard. Pull it all out and pull the standard snork off when you fit the box and then work out your new pipe work for inside the guard......if it is a daily driver you can still drive around town with the new box breathing from inside the guard.......I wouldn't go offroad like that but you can still drive it work etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol stl
14 Posts
Yeah as I suspected. No doubt the airtec snorkel in the 4.2's is equally restrictive. Sounds like you got some good results from your fatz setup, enjoy.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
The standard Nissan snorkel (Airteck) is 4" for most of the way. Mine is on a GU series IV and newer models, so I can't speak for the older factory Nissan, Airteck snorkel.
The ram head is a much better shape and bigger inside than a Safari equivalent. The top of the pipe is probably the smallest part of the upright section and is a bit smaller than 4" (more like 3.5").

The hole through the outer mudguard is 4" but the bend inside is less than ideal, being sort of squashed flat shape rather than round.

The pipe running along inside the guard is also 4" but again slightly rectangular rather than round, still quite a decent pipe size.

The really restrictive part is the 90 degree bend through the inner guard at the front where it narrows to less than 3".
So I just cut that restrictive part off and changed that bit to a 4" silicone bend.

So the full 4" all the way snorkel is going to give you the best flow as you will get 4" all the way and smoother bends, round tube and no sharp corners.

But the factory snorkel is 4" most of the way and can be improved substantially for quite cheap if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Ive got a 99 GU and have just done some big mods over the past 6 months, final ones done recently. Here's what Ive got:

Safari snorkel, 3" all the way to a 4"-3" reducer at the airbox
Fatz airbox
4" pipework all the way to turbo
UFI 18g with their dump pipe
DC6 pump
CC Ultimate Topmount
Standard intake manifold
3" exhaust

I'm getting 155rwkw and 568Nm at 28psi max. Tuner (RTR in keysborough) said it has plenty left, would get to 170-180rwkw no probs. Jarrod there says airbox is the key, not necessarily the snorkel. Not sure why, dont care either cos it means i dont have to upgrade snorkel!

Fark me, its a beast now, i more than doubled my power and torque (yes tune was mild on the HT18 ).

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
The standard Nissan snorkel (Airteck) is 4" for most of the way. Mine is on a GU series IV and newer models, so I can't speak for the older factory Nissan, Airteck snorkel.
The ram head is a much better shape and bigger inside than a Safari equivalent. The top of the pipe is probably the smallest part of the upright section and is a bit smaller than 4" (more like 3.5").

The hole through the outer mudguard is 4" but the bend inside is less than ideal, being sort of squashed flat shape rather than round.

The pipe running along inside the guard is also 4" but again slightly rectangular rather than round, still quite a decent pipe size.

The really restrictive part is the 90 degree bend through the inner guard at the front where it narrows to less than 3".
So I just cut that restrictive part off and changed that bit to a 4" silicone bend.

So the full 4" all the way snorkel is going to give you the best flow as you will get 4" all the way and smoother bends, round tube and no sharp corners.

But the factory snorkel is 4" most of the way and can be improved substantially for quite cheap if you do it yourself.
Yep, I have to agree...that being if I were to do it again I would not have bothered going with the 4 inch stainless snork. I would have gone with the 4" fatz box, pulled all the pipe work out of the guard and replaced it with 4" stuff of my own design and mated it up to the factory fitted airtec snork doing my best to reduce the angle where it joins ......but I have a horny look staino one now so happy days!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
Yep, I have to agree...that being if I were to do it again I would not have bothered going with the 4 inch stainless snork. I would have gone with the 4" fatz box, pulled all the pipe work out of the guard and replaced it with 4" stuff of my own design and mated it up to the factory fitted airtec snork doing my best to reduce the angle where it joins ......but I have a horny look staino one now so happy days!
I'm thinking of doing the same lately. Just wondering if you can get an airtec snorkel on its own without the internal bits or just grab a decent second hand one. Wonder if it be hard to modify to suit by running a 4 inch elbow to it

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same lately. Just wondering if you can get an airtec snorkel on its own without the internal bits or just grab a decent second hand one. Wonder if it be hard to modify to suit by running a 4 inch elbow to it
You may be able to buy part of a snorkel as a spare part but might cost as much or more than a whole one. I did buy just the Ram head top from Airteck through TJM when I made a stainless snorkel on a previous 4x4.

Wreckers might have one from a damaged vehicle. Or you might get lucky and fund someone on here if they have pulled it off for a 4" stainless one.

Wonder if it be hard to modify to suit by running a 4 inch elbow to it
Yes I think you could do that but the part where it would be a squeez is up in near the radio aerial. This is a 4" hole where it comes through the guard and to the flat tube inside the guard. But they did a rediculously tight bend so it is easy to fit without moving anything. You could adapt from there and use a silicone or rubber bend to line up better through the guard past the brace thet you can see in this photo. Or a bigger sweeping bend 90 degree might work into the gap you can see to the left of the brace thing.

It is a tight fit but there is plenty of room if things are well lined up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
Cheers mate I might keep an eye out on evil Bay or Gumtree for a spare one than just get some 4 inch pipe from an exhaust place

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Cheers mate I might keep an eye out on evil Bay or Gumtree for a spare one than just get some 4 inch pipe from an exhaust place
Mate, pity we are opposite ends of the country....you could have mine for a couple of cartons:headwall:

·
Registered
nissan patrol stl
14 Posts
Nice work guys, I might do the 4" elbow mod at the air box end. And see what can be done at the aerial end like big rig suggested. I'm still running standard air box but with a k&n, high flow lid and custom 3" to turbo should be a fairly good setup for little dollars.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well all done it fought me most of the way. i cut the snorkel inside the guard as in the photo above then used a 4inch 90 degree bend to join it to fatz air box. i only have the standard turbo when they sold me the kit it was with 4inch plumbing to the turbo(told them it was a standard turbo) but the connection onto the standard turbo is triangle shaped and thought it would not seal properly so i cut the old pipe work in half and used a 4inch to 3inch reducer to connect it from the airbox. will get pics up tomorrow night if anyone is interested

on a side note build quality is excellent and can honestly say my patrol runs heaps!! better now:cool:)

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,722 Posts
I initially had the Nissan snorkel hooked up to a Fatz airbox. Running with the air box lid removed noticeably improved response and performance. I went back to Fatz and got one of his 4" snorkels.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
did you notice a difference from the nissan snorkel to the fatz snorkel id be interested to know after having a difference in just changing the air box and modifying the nissan one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts