Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, as some of you may have noticed, I'm new here (and have already ruffled some feathers)

And I would like to ask you guys who are in the now some questions about what I should be heading out to look at and potentially buy.

So my question goes like this.... Up until today I was certain I want a TD42 05-06 model under 200k's (this will be a til death do us part type vehicle) but have been doing a little bit of reading and people are saying that it suffers from overheating at times.. Is this a big deal or not really? Is it something a large core alloy radiator and larger top mount inter cooler can fix? Or will I be forever monitoring EGT and water temps...... ( car will probably never tow, just be a vic high country truck/ tourer.

my other option is to go buy a late model CRD3.0L with 60-80k on the clock for the same sort of money (looking at 30-40k) now I love the idea of off idle torque... I once drove a friends NA GQ4.2tdi and fell in love.. I know on paper the common rail states very close power and torque but have to get in on boost... My main question really is that if I DO DECIDE to go for a common rail, I don't want a model that will have ESP, I would rather a LSD model... Can someone tell me which was the last year of the LSD diffs befre they went to ESP?

(For reference of what I will do to the car modification wise... If I go a CRD I will exhaust and chip. 2"lift 33"s lockers. If I go TD42 I will do exhaust larger intercoller, alloy radiator, same lift and lockers same tyres..

Am I being over sensitive about the heat issue? Any other reliability/problems that should steer me away from a td42?? I've always known these to be the MECCA of 4wd's but don't want to buy an "old technology engine that will give me overheating/other issues" as some people say... Car will be driven as a daily to and from work, plan to own it until it hits 500,000 and then I will rebuild it.

Help please.....

Simon

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ALSO forgot to mention fuel consumption. Can I expect the common rail to be just as thirsty as the td42 as I have heard that these common rails don't mind a drink... What fuel consumption as an average should I expect from both motors?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Overheating is hardly an issue as i have the model that is suppose to suffer from it and its hardly ever overheated, once in very soft sand working it hard doing about 80.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
422 Posts
I have a 2010 CRD GU7 and it has the LSD. If you get the exhaust and chip on this model it would also be worth getting a good (better) intercooler.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
Get a clean CRD and have change left over for other goodies :). The last 4.2 was 2006, before the CRD.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen a 4.2 2005 st with 180,000 for 34ish I think I can get it for 32... I think this is my preference at this point if overheating is not really an issue...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts