Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my first time on here but I am desperate for help. I am a single lady and don't know too much about mechanics but I take good care of my truck. I have been away for 2 months and hadn't started my truck for 2 months. When I tried to start it, the glow light didn't go on, I had no power. At first I thought I needed a boost but that didn't work so I thought I has a slow leak in my batteries. I picked up a battery charger, removed them both and they came up as fully charged. My batteries are only 6 months old, good quality. I am lost at what to do next. I checked for corrosion on the battery clamps and poles and everything looks clean. If anyone has anh ideas, I would truly appreciate it!!! :):):)

·
Registered
Nissan
791 Posts
You battery will be dead flat, at a guess with out a tester you battery will have 3.2v and 0 cca, a generic battery charger will not start charging them, with out being tricked into thinking there is charge there, if you know someone with a spare battery and a set of jumper leads you can get your charger to charge it. Simply connect the jumper leads positive to positive, negative to negative, then connect your charger to the flat battery, either terminals or jumper lead clamps.

After about half hour you can remove the cables and you should be able to charge the battery as normal

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If you post what town you live in there might be a forum member who can have a look at it and sort it for you

Regards Don

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,192 Posts
It's my first time on here but I am desperate for help. I am a single lady and don't know too much about mechanics but I take good care of my truck. I have been away for 2 months and hadn't started my truck for 2 months. When I tried to start it, the glow light didn't go on, I had no power. At first I thought I needed a boost but that didn't work so I thought I has a slow leak in my batteries. I picked up a battery charger, removed them both and they came up as fully charged. My batteries are only 6 months old, good quality. I am lost at what to do next. I checked for corrosion on the battery clamps and poles and everything looks clean. If anyone has anh ideas, I would truly appreciate it!!! :):):)
If the batteries are charged up, a jump start did nothing, the connections all clean, and no dash lights, the next place to look is the fuses and fusible links. You mention the glow plug light, but what about anything else?

Do you have any power circuits working such as lights etc?
Any clicking from the starter solenoid?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I think your battery is flat.

Remove it and take it to auto barn, they will test it for free.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Taro and do you have a digital multi meter or can you borrow one?

There are a couple of basic tests you can do to try to sort out your problem.

·
Registered
Nissan
15 Posts
I am also afraid, there is quite a chance that your battery is discharged beyond the possibility of recharging.
Two months is a long time and with even a small current which might be normal a battery can be emptied totally. Even if you only have a current of 40mA (which is not too much) it adds up to 0.96Ah per day which is more than 55Ah in 60 days. That would be nearly the total capacity of a normal (petrol engine's) battery.

The easiest (and most expensive) solution unfortunately is to get a new battery (installed) and you are done.

As suggested before it might be an idea to get the battery checked at an auto mechanic. But I am afraid that it might have been at least damaged and that it will have lost some capacity.

Just to make sure you could have somebody measure your remaining discharge current with everything switched off to make sure nothing drains the battery more than it is supposed to do. But after two months I think it is more or less normal that the battery is discharged.

Let me also suggest that you, whenever you don't use your car for more than thirty days, disconnect the minus Pole of your battery. But please let somebody show this to you as you must not disconnect the wrong (plus) pole by error. That could give you sparks which could damage your car or hurt you.
My girlfriend also does this with her car when she is off or holidays, it is no big deal. You just have to see it once how it is done.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
But please let somebody show this to you as you must not disconnect the wrong (plus) pole by error. That could give you sparks which could damage your car or hurt you.[/QUOTE]

Come on guys, if Taro can hook up a charger to her battery then she knows negative from positive. I agree that you need to disconnect the negative (Black ) battery terminal first, but who needs someone to show you that. Yes I have my missus standing behind me but I agree. This doesn't however fix the current prob. If the batt has been completely drained you could try borrowing a charger with a rejuvenate cycle on it like mine. That works some times. If not I'm afraid it sounds like a new battery. It doesn't matter how old a battery is. I've killed them within a week by overdrawing them.

·
Registered
nissan
2,218 Posts
I'd say its cactus and you'll need to replace it. If you park it up in the garage or have a PowerPoint close by then I'd buy a charger at the same time and just connect it up when you're not using it, less hassle than disconnecting a terminal and you don't need to retune the radio either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts