Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey got in my patrol today and was driving it down the road when it started knocking, sounds like it's coming from the top end but not to sure.
Motor has about 135000 on it, it is only a light knock at idle, but it quite loud off power but can't hear it under load.
After i heard it was only a half kay from home so drove home and parked it.
It has been a little harded to start this week but not that noticable.

any help would be great thanks.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Hi Flexo & welcome to the forum mate.

Possible blown head gasket allowing water into the cylinders?

How is you coolant level? If its not evident in the reservior or the radiator, then I would not crank it over.
Can you get it towed to a mechanics shop for testing like removal of injectors to see if water is being pumped out.
Any water in the tail pipe?

·
Registered
nissan gu
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies
just went out and checked the coolant levels all good, haven't driven it since i heard the noise just have to wait till got some cash as the washing machine blew up today.(never rains you know the rest!)

·
Registered
nissan gu
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again for your replies, i'm taking it out to nissan today just to see if they can find the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It could be air in the fuel line.
I am currently getting the same thing.
if the injector pump gets air to it it will make a loud rattling noise. (almost sounds like a landcruiser at idle)
This may also explain the hard to start problem. Try bleeding the air from the fuel or pump the primer a few times before start up. a clear bit of hose on the outgoing side of the filter will indicate if there is any air in the lines.
I have air in my lines but am yet to find the cause i am tipping maybe a crack in the filter housing?

·
Registered
nissan gu
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i took it out to nissan today but no noise and without a noise they can't do anything, so they told me next time it starts to happen come out, doesn't help me much.

going to drop oil out and new fillters cause it's about 500k till it's ready, see how it goes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts