Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There she is, my bull bar. I love it and don't want to change it. It's of the moulded variety, not even sure who the manufacturer is. Now, what i would like is rod holders but the normal bcf ones with the 2 U bolts are not suited for this bull bar as is plain to see. Any ideas on how i can mount 1, so it looks neat?

Never mind the cobwebs she was garaged for a while :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would assume making your own U bolts, that aren't in the shape of a U, is not the answer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would contact the RTA. I beleive there our recent laws in place reguarding bull bars and attachments. This is because of recent legislation for the safety of pedrestrians in a frontal colision. Perhaps roof racks.
David

·
Registered
198 Posts
Got an awning? I made some up and mounted them in the awning track. I'll chase up pics if your interested.

Cheers
Craig

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Rod holders that protrudes out the front of the bar are illegal.
eg this style

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its a SmartBar. There should be some captive nuts on the inside of the loops (facing the headlight or bonnet) for ariel mounts - you may be able to use them for something you make.
Just bear in mind the legalities of having sometihng hanging off the bullbar.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They are illegal if you try to put them under the bar so they dont protrude so much ive never heard anyone getting a defect notice for them, just like the caravan extension mirrors are illegal

·
Rogue
20,643 Posts
You could drill holes the size of the rod end in the flat section above your number plate and lean the rods against the top middle hoop and rope them onto the loop when you need to... just an idea that would look neat.

·
Registered
502 Posts
TWO BIG SS HOSE CLAMPS:D OR 20 KAZILLIAN CABLE TYES (jokes)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Guys its only illegal to have a rod holder on the bullbar if its not in use.

Different story if its full of 12ft rods though, falls into the same category of spotlights, winches, UHF aerials, they all protrude but are considered to be in use.

And it must be mounted left of centre (obviously).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
In QLD, Spotties & rod holders etc are not allowed to protrude past the forward profile of the bull bar (i know of people getting busted for rod holders sticking out)

But, if you have fishing rods "in" the rod holders, then the rods and holder may protrude forward from the bar, also the rod holders should be on the passenger side of the vehicle (so rods do not directly impair drivers vision)

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of good suggestions here. And skegbudley you were on the money mate, it is one of theirs. Just came from opposite lock and had a good ol chat to the bloke there.

Geez i could drop some money in that place in the blink of an eye

·
Registered
172 Posts
@ doodle max I sorry to disagree but the last lot of changes to the australian ADR state NOTHING can be mounted on a bull bar if it protrudes more than 75 mm from the tubing (ie not the post or box sections)> I know as i was pinged by a very unfriendly lady in blue in the rocks in Sydney at 6.45 one morning driving in to our loading dock. I went to court as I believed she was incorrect but in fat I was.
So all driving lights, rod holders, and (get this) antennas must not protrude in any direction (ie above or in front) by more than 75mm , makes for a pretty useless antenna at 3" long. However its perfectly legal to have items on a roof rack (not even a rated or factory built one overhanging the front of the vehicle by up to 1Meter, and no rules determining how its held on there (ever see plumbers with a load of copper pipe on just held by gaffa tape?), CRAZY!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts