Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I need some help with my mill/drill purchased in November last year brand new.

Firstly it's made in China and I accepted that it wouldn't be perfect but the one area in which it is causing serious problems I'm having trouble fixing.

The first problem is that when lowering the spindle you can hear a clunk sound and this coincides with the spindle dropping 0.6mm.

In practice when using the machine if you happen to operate the machine in the "clunk zone" and not realize it, you will try to mill down 0.1mm and all of a sudden you have dropped down 0.6mm which if on a finishing cut could ruin what ever you are machining.

So a short term solution would be to work outside the "clunk zone" but after doing that today I'm experiencing further problems.

The spindle either doesn't move when trying to wind it down or it moves much further than you intended to move it.

At one point I moved the spindle down 0.5mm and I had zero movement of the spindle.

I contacted the suppliers, a large machinery supply company I might add, and from the moment I identified a problem they didn't want to know about it. Eventually they sent a service technician after much insisting and all they did was mask the clunk but filling the mechanism full of copious amounts of grease.

Other excuses included; that's just how they are, they are not that accurate, and implying I'm imagining things.

I'm getting on to them again on Monday but I wanted to know if anyone has had similar problems or; am I really asking too much?

It's not the ultimate accuracy I'm concerned about it's the inconsitency of the accuracy which I can't see a way to work around unless I have a dial indicator measuring the spindle at all times. (This gets tedious and really impractical.)

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Not the most directly helpful first reply, but if you don't have a win here, I really recommend the following metalwork forum, they appear to have a lot of knowledge amongst them: METALWORK FORUM - Woodwork Forums

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
id imagine the spindle should have like a lowering gearset. and it sounds to me like one of the gears either has a tooth missing or one tooth isnt machined very well and has a rather large clearance.
does it only happen in 1 spot of if you keep going down will it do it again?

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
id imagine the spindle should have like a lowering gearset. and it sounds to me like one of the gears either has a tooth missing or one tooth isnt machined very well and has a rather large clearance.
does it only happen in 1 spot of if you keep going down will it do it again?
The clunk is only in one spot but right across the range strange things keep happening.

My gut feeling is that there is a mismatch in the machining of the rack and pinion and the gears are not in correct/constant mesh. Just as you suggested :)

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
go and try another one in the store ( a demo one if they have one set-up) see if it does the same thing.

if it does i guess that's just the way they are. if it doesn't insist your machine is faulty and ask for a replacement one.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
there should be an adjustment or shim for just about everything..
Excessive backlash in the rack and pinion sounds probably, maybe a keyway is falling oout inside?

I suspect they've had a lot of these go bad if they suddenly become evasive.
Though just pouring grease in it sounds like a total bodge up.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Model number? Not many things out there I havent been able to find a PDF exploded diagram for.

Sounds like back lash in the up/down winder rack and pinion. Does it feel smooth? Is the pin between the shaft and the handle lock in properly. Im afraid I have had a few phone calls to one particulare large reseller company and there is only 1 or 2 blokes there who have a clue, the others are sales reps chasing comissions, flogging as much **** as possible.

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
I wouldn't be expecting acuracy of .6 from one of these cheapy (seig, X3 etc) type mills- 0.6 would be getting off lightly. they're really just for 'hobbiests' and by hobbiests they mean someone who wants to smash out of round holes in their lawnmower blades, fire their model trains across the shed or get a quick lesson in exactly how quickly a pooly machined spindle can convert an expensive tapered drill into a tent peg.
They're not bad value for what they are, but you can't expect a $1500 mill drill to replace a 'real' mill. Mate just paid $10 000 for a second hand bridgeport- 15 years old but you cant wobble any of the slides, dead accurate, quick, and 100% serviceable.

You should be able to shim or preload the slack out of it, packing some thick grease in there wont help for long. Sorry to say but most likely it'll be an ongoing process of chasing down gremlins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts