Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i know this topic will get some hate, but im looking for some new tyres. looking at 31s or 33s.

i want a tyre that will do moderately well off road (doesnt have to be great, i have 35 muds at home if needed). but more importantly, i want to be able to have a bit of childish fun on dirt, or in an empty carpark. unfortunately i have a ZD30 so power is not on my side, what tyres are gonna be the easiest to get spinning and make a lil bit of smoke occasionally. muddies or ATs? and what size is best?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Yes you are correct, there are many many threads on this and the argument continues My two cents worth again, 70,000k ago I bought a set of BFG KO2 best all round tyre I've had on my 20 year old, bought new, Patrol. Great on sand, gravel, light mud and everything else I've thrown at it and I do a lot of outback touring.
Now, let the fun begin, again.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
526 Posts
If you want something that will rip a skid easily, get something Chinese. Most of them are fairly hard compound, that's why they aren't real flash in the wet, but you won't have too much trouble lighting them up.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
If you want something that will rip a skid easily, get something Chinese. Most of them are fairly hard compound, that's why they aren't real flash in the wet, but you won't have too much trouble lighting them up.
Lol, I can light my KO2's up easily enough, but not interested in it.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
526 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there much available in the way of cheap chinese tires? and which size is best? and still not sure if i should go muddies or all terrain.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Please spell out exactly what you are after, are you after cheap tyres that you can easily smoke or ones to drive generally and safely, if the former then I 'm out of this convo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
honestly a bit of both. i dont want tyres just to smoke. i want tyres that are actually okay and safe. but im also childish and occasionally wanna let rip. im not asking specifically for a tyre that will smoke up. im just asking what size and type the car would have least trouble with in the event i did. from there ill still buy a decent set of rubber thats safe to use

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
honestly a bit of both. i dont want tyres just to smoke. i want tyres that are actually okay and safe. but im also childish and occasionally wanna let rip. im not asking specifically for a tyre that will smoke up. im just asking what size and type the car would have least trouble with in the event i did. from there ill still buy a decent set of rubber thats safe to use
Ok, so see my original post.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what size do you run? my caar has a fair bit of trouble on hills and accelerating with 35s, will the tyre size make much difference?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
35's in my opinion are complete overkill and in my opinion ruin some tracks for other 4x4 drivers ( have experienced a particular muddy track some idiot with 35's ripped up making it impassable), personally I have 265x75x16 and a 3" lift, if I had a 2" lift I'd go 285x75x16 but I cant with the 3" as I wouldnt fit in my garage and he door has been raised as far as it can go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
35's in my opinion are complete overkill and in my opinion ruin some tracks for other 4x4 drivers ( have experienced a particular muddy track some idiot with 35's ripped up making it impassable), personally I have 265x75x16 and a 3" lift, if I had a 2" lift I'd go 285x75x16 but I cant with the 3" as I wouldnt fit in my garage and he door has been raised as far as it can go.
will this make a significant difference to acceleration and hills

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
righto, found a nice mid level set in the size you recommended, thinking all terrains cause if i need muddies, the 35s are there, this set is more for daily driving

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Screenshot (2).png

This is the combination im thinking about. do these sizes match up? dont wanna buy the wrong stuff

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,103 Posts
Make sure you get the right offset to suit, can't remember # but there are treads on it and the dealer should know. Personally I'm not really a fan of aftermarket steel rims.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
View attachment 517385
This is the combination im thinking about. do these sizes match up? dont wanna buy the wrong stuff
P20 on that rim indicates the offset. P20 on a Patrol is a bad thing it means you are making your track, width centre to centre, narrower. In this case only 20mm but this affects stability and is as illegal as massive wide offsets.
Patrol is "P" pos 10 so you can legally go to neg 15 for a 50mm track increase, which is moving your centreline out 25mm each side. P10 not so common, zero very common as is neg12-13.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I think this statement is really totally contradictory for someone with a fairly stock ZD and no offence meant to ZD owners. If we were talking an LS powered anything then no problem but I think any tyre that you expect to be able to spin for more than a couple of revolutions for a chirp, especially on tarmac will be either worn out, hard or just plain rubbish and there will be very little safety to it.

We put a cheapish brand on the bosses ute a while ago that he got from a tyre mate. They were a known cheap brand whose brand eludes me at the moment but they didn't even last 5000k's before he ripped them off. We were flat out getting his dual cab Colorado off the line or holding corners in the wet and they started wearing oddly almost straight away. I never tried but I'm sure we could have entered a burnout comp without being shamed, that is if anyone was game to drive it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
P20 on that rim indicates the offset. P20 on a Patrol is a bad thing it means you are making your track, width centre to centre, narrower. In this case only 20mm but this affects stability and is as illegal as massive wide offsets.
Patrol is "P" pos 10 so you can legally go to neg 15 for a 50mm track increase, which is moving your centreline out 25mm each side. P10 not so common, zero very common as is neg12-13.
so would P0 be better?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts