Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellas,

im, at some stage this year going to get a car lift, for personal use at home...

as there is a number of different types that are available,
ie 4 post,
2 post,
2 post short height type,
2 post movable type,
scissor lift 2 types - one with ramps ,
and one without.

now my dilemma is,
the roof in my garage is 3meters high,
yet I have a panel lift door which would most certainly get in my way with a 2 poster

and with a 4 poster, I'd be left with no room at the front of my car...

So between the two type of scissor lifts available,
can you guys please give me your opinions, for and against etc

these are the two im debating between bellow,.

please if anyone uses any or both, do share your opinion,
ie, versatility, strength, lift strength etc etc etc.... and stability

only gonna use for for sedans

thanks guys.... titties later !!

ps. top 3 pics are the ramp style that you drive over etc...

Attachments

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lift car to service fully ( have big volume sump pan, too low atm to even get high enough with a jack ffs)
brakes, steering, tailshaft re balanced, diff centre gear change, suspention upgrade in the rear ( leaf Sprung atm)

exhaust mod.

and overall, interior work but would like to be standing while I work on it from the outside.

ohh and need to change oil pan fkn seal, ( real pitta to do while its on the ground.)

I know I can just take it to someone to do all this,
but I like to do these kind of things myself,
and a lift will be a great addition to my tools and help me immensely .

ps, theyre fkn cheap enough now, they used to be like round 4k, now you can find em round the 1.5k ! WOW !

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
989 Posts
Personally for me the scissor lift type only really seem to be useful for tyre changes and the like. Just not enough room to get underneath and do work, and also don't think they really lift high enough to get under.

Personally I'll be going for a 2 poster when I do it, however space won't be an issue for me.

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
im always thinking of the safety features these products may or may not have.
Do you "lock it in" once elevated? If a hose blew or something silly will it come crashing to the ground?

They do look pretty handy. Sure beats crawling around on the floor.

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
Just looked on ebay. These seem to be the same sort of price as the 2 posters, but if you don't have the height I guess your options are limited.

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im always thinking of the safety features these products may or may not have.
Do you "lock it in" once elevated? If a hose blew or something silly will it come crashing to the ground?

They do look pretty handy. Sure beats crawling around on the floor.

yeah I concur re safety etc , and yes they do lock..

·
Registered
179 Posts
get out the concrete cutter and do a pit then. can be covered when not in use and gives you better access underneath when doing repairs than those other lifts you showed.

Also seens space is an issue if gives you an area to keep your oils/spares/spiders etc

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get out the concrete cutter and do a pit then. can be covered when not in use and gives you better access underneath when doing repairs than those other lifts you showed.

Also seens space is an issue if gives you an area to keep your oils/spares/spiders etc

understood, yet hoist is the question, if I built the house I would have inbuilt a scissor lift..
like this bellow...

a pit doesn't get my wheels off the ground, and the expense and trouble to safetyfy the area when the car is out, would be a pain...

Attachments

·
Registered
GU IV 4.2
989 Posts
I just don't think scissors or short 2 post is really worth it because you can't get under it and stand up to do the work.

As far as safety goes any hydraulic hoist either the scissor style or 2 or 4 post should have a safety catch on them to lock in when your using them

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
Here you go.
Portable two poster, tuck it away when not needed. Will fit under a low ceiling. Can sit on a stool while tinkering underneath your car. Happy days.

Aussie price a little more I guess.

Dannmar Maxjax Portable 2 Post Car Lift 6 000 lb Capacity | eBay

These do seem a little more practical than the scissor type. Once some hd fixings are fitted in your slab, at least they will be akin to every other 2 poster out there.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
You have a real dilema LJ!

No easy answers.

I think 2 post is the best choice but height will be a problem.

I'm going 2 post but the shed will be 5.2m high.

Pit in the ground and jack stands for wheel work maybe the only compromise.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Decent set of jack stands is just as good as that if not better as you can work with the wheels off.

Real handy if pulling a diff centre out too.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
11,152 Posts
sissor lifts are all but useless for anything more than wheel brake and some suspension work.
outside of that better off on the floor.
2 poster is what you want but i reckon u need more than 3m ceiling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts