Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was happy to see a package at the door today when i got home from work, my new gt2860.
plan is to hopefully get it bolted up on the weekend of the 25th, i think i have the friday off so thursday night ill be straight into it providing i have everything here ready to go.
Just purchased a manifold addaptor plate from matt.mcinnes which will make life alot easier when bolting it up. I still am leaning towards pulling the exhaust manifold off to bolt the new one up, whats your thoughts on this, for the extra work required taking it off is it easier to do it from the start?? i just dont want to risk snapping a bolt off in the block and then drill and tap it out with the engine in the car.
i think the hardest part of it all will be making a dump pipe, another question, is 2mm steel going to be enough to use when making one?? will it be able to take the constant up and down in temps, or is a stainless one going to be better. i can weld the mild steel but stainless i would have to have someone do for me.
im about to buy one of these hose kits
Turbo Oil Wate Line SUBARU Garrett GT28R BB / APS SR40 (eBay item 270703199371 end time 10-Mar-11 04:38:36 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats
the kit has a 0.8mm restrictor what is needed for this turbo?? if it is bigger then its ok ill carefully drill it out.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
the 2860 you can fit whilst the manifold is in the car still, bit of playing around but not much drama, the studs should be fine they arent normally too much problem in the patrol, the 2mm steel is fine for dump pipe would only go stainless if your going for high performance like 200hp or more i have 160hp in mine and i run the mild steel one steel that i got with the dts kit

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah cheers mate hopefully it's an easy fit up. I'm buying a 1 piece turbo adaptor flange so hopefully I'm still able to bolt that up without having to take manifold off.
Yeah jpc had a hose kit $350, yeah it's prob real good quality but when I can get one if these for 80 to my door then I'll go for it.

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No just standard, had the bearing cages upgraded to steel though. I'll bolt it on and see how she goes for power, hopefully it's what I am after

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
Is your setup highmount or lowmount?
I've just finished my GT2860rs lowmount setup and if yours is a lowmount as well, I'd say you'll better pull the manifold as lining up the the excentric bolts for the adapter plate is really fiddley.

Only my 2c
Cheers
Joachim

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
jakeyp said:
Yeah jpc had a hose kit $350, yeah it's prob real good quality but when I can get one if these for 80 to my door then I'll go for it.
if your talking about the cheap ebay hoses, pay and get the quality first time thru.

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your setup highmount or lowmount?
I've just finished my GT2860rs lowmount setup and if yours is a lowmount as well, I'd say you'll better pull the manifold as lining up the the excentric bolts for the adapter plate is really fiddley.

Only my 2c
Cheers
Joachim
yeah mines a factory low mount manifold, i think ill take it off, ill be able to bolt everything up properly then, hopefully i dont snap any bolts off in the process

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if your talking about the cheap ebay hoses, pay and get the quality first time thru.
yeah i was talking about one of them. im just going to take it to enzed now and see if they can make hose up to suit, see what it cost.

what size restricter does the oil feed line need???

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
yeah mines a factory low mount manifold, i think ill take it off, ill be able to bolt everything up properly then, hopefully i dont snap any bolts off in the process
I put everything together - manifold, turbo and dump pipe - and could not get it in for my life. Then, I removed the dump pipe and the lot went in with only minimal resistance. It was a pain in the neck to tighten the manifold nuts after that.
If I had to do it again, I would fit the adapter to the manifold outside the engine bay, then mount the manifold and bolt the turbo in at the end.

Cheers
J

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to pertek, they r able to make them all up out of stainless braided hose with all fittings and banjo ends to make them bolt up to the original spot.

The oil feed for the turbo, does anyone know what thread size it is, the water is 14mm metric but they didn have anything in stock to try the oil in.

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put everything together - manifold, turbo and dump pipe - and could not get it in for my life. Then, I removed the dump pipe and the lot went in with only minimal resistance. It was a pain in the neck to tighten the manifold nuts after that.
If I had to do it again, I would fit the adapter to the manifold outside the engine bay, then mount the manifold and bolt the turbo in at the end.

Cheers
J
Oh ok yeah cheers mate, I guess I'm better off doing the same then, I'll only get pissed off and annoyed otherwise and stuff something trying to get it in.

·
Registered
nissan
2,925 Posts
Oil feed in top of turbo is 7/16-24 from memory.

Marty

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gt2860, water and oil lines for gu patrol

hey, im just trying to get some oil and water lines made up and am working out lengths so i can get them made this week hopefully, is what i have marked correct??

Runs along the engine and around ontop of the turbo

·
Registered
782 Posts
I gather that's not your turbo - I was getting confused.

Those points sound about right for a GU.
My only comment is that I think the water flows out of the block and returns to the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah thats the factory turbo, im going to get new oil and water lines made up so just wanted to be sure thats where they get contected to so when i get new ones made ill order them to that length.

thanks for that geecee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts