Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am currently driving a 2007 3L troll with ZD30 CRD motor. I have 162K on the clock.

I have recently noticed a clicking noise that appears to come from my alternator. The battery is still charging and the noise stops when I put the lights on (if I switch the lights off, the noise reappears). Would this be the clutch pulley on its way out? or is there other tests I could preform to confirm this

I understand that the clutch can be replaced however given the number of ks on the clock would it be best to replace the alternator?

I have had a quick look on evilbay and noticed a couple of alternators for around 200-250 with a 5 year warranty, is there any thing I need to know if I decide to replace (e.g. min amps etc)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
Almost sounds like an alternator brush noise that is clearing when a load is put on.
Doubt the clutch pulley is the issue, would expect that to be a bit more consistant.
Would think a service by an auto sparky would be the simplest most cost effective measure at 162K.
Brush condition at those kms could be poor depending on the loads and life of the alternator.
Mines at 220k and the alternator hasn't been touched.
A 5 year warranty sounds suspect, OEMs don't even offer that, stick with your Hitachi unit if you can.
Cheers,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts