1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Geordie for finding this!
Looks good!

OK so here is the only image I could get.
Tread on the MT-KM3 looks very similar but the side biter tread pattern is new.

Same for the old pattern AT looks like it has new sidewall tread and becomes TA-KO2

In the close shot, it looks like there are new stone ejectors.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Limited sizes will be released in the U.S. in April, then all the others sizes will be released at a later date!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So does that mean these are directional with the side biters looking like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct the new BFG AT and KR2 aren't directional

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
363 Posts
Think i prefer the look of KM2.
Sidebiters on KM2 seem more staged too.. i was looking forward to this,... now not so sure. Someone convince me!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Yes I was looking at the sipes on the middle two rows of tread blocks. Did the old/ well current model KM2 have them?

Sidebiters on KM2 seem more staged too.. i was looking forward to this,... now not so sure. Someone convince me!
I think they are doing the change to the side biter tread to have more even thickness of rubber on the shoulder and upper part of the sidewall for better puncture protection and angled for deflection of sticks rocks etc.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,259 Posts
Yes I was looking at the sipes on the middle two rows of tread blocks. Did the old/ well current model KM2 have them?

I think they are doing the change to the side biter tread to have more even thickness of rubber on the shoulder and upper part of the sidewall for better puncture protection and angled for deflection of sticks rocks etc.
No sipes on the old one and that was one of its major failures on lighter vehicles. Wet weather performance was not good for a lot of people and BFG lost a lot of ground to the Wrangler MTR Kevlar AFAIK.

the yanks used to go nuts on adding siping with the MT KM2 because they were hopeless in wet weather and on snow when fitted to fairly light vehicles like Jeeps, 4Runners, Pathfinders etc. I don't think it was really a big issue for heavy vehicles like Patrols, F trucks, Rams etc

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
363 Posts
Not much difference to sipes on old model guys.... just pulled this from my iphoto,... very very similar,... or am i missing something...? middle two rows slight change in sipe direction tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
594 Posts

Howsit African Troll, do you run km2's? Here in Victoria they're the best because of the Cape like climate. I love my KM2's but recall in Gauteng everyone had AT's. We went up the Sani Pass with a tour operator that drove Patrols up and down the pass daily. Only mod they ever made was 2" OME lift and BFG AT's. Mostly petrols because the diesel use to freeze up in Lesotho

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Pickup
363 Posts
Hey Paddy,

Yeah, i run KM2's for years now,... the best all terrain tyre is a mud terrain tyre, thats what i say.

Loads of places here where AT tyres just not gonna cut it.

Good to hear of your travels around here, yes, patrols still working on Sani Pass. I cycled it 2 years ago, those vehicles work hard everyday there. Diesel does freeze in the lines before the pre-heater so petrol a better use there.

I wonder how long till we get the new KM3,... i have a new set of KM2's only done around 15000km so i'm good for another 80 000km i guess,.. got over 100 000km on my last set on my 4.2D Pickup Patrol.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
594 Posts
My set of KM2's would only have about 13000 on them. I would buy another set tomorrow. Got the truck with Kumho AT's on - fine for bitumen but that's it. Would love to have a truck like mine in SA for some Kalahari and Lesotho exploration :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
594 Posts
Will do :) the same counts if you ever make it to Melbourne, happy to show you some of our muddy forest tracks. We met folk on Sunday from Burgersdorp, they were very surprised to find an Afrikaans response to their discussion.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
These aren't being sold the U.S. , they were ment to be out in April.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts