Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so when i chucked the new motor in i got a new clutch for it, but it seems the throw is different in this.

with the clutch fully in its just not enough to fully disengage the clutch, can get it in gear but can feel the resistance as i shift, and the clutch is pretty much fully engaged with less then an inch pedal movement from the floor,

i bled the whole system with fresh fluid and the pedal still has lots of travel before i get good resistance from it, inspected the rod that actuates the clutch fork and it seems to be ground down a bit so maybe someone has modified it before,

anyway has anyone had this problem before or anyone got any ideas to fix the problem?

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Might need a longer pushrod from the slave cylinder to the fork, maybe fab one from a piece of steel rod with the ends rounded off with the grinder.
I haven't pulled mine out yet so don't have the numbers for clearance between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers. maybe there will be something on the wiki.

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the pushrod is hard up against the fork, its just not traveling out enough, i think i need to get under the dash and adjust it there, thats the next try

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,307 Posts
happened to me when I put a new one in

You've gotta bleed that clutch properly, that's where your problem is!! If all you did was drop the gearbox, swap old for new (i.e. identical for identical) it is without a doubt the clutch that needs to be bleed

if you get the clutch to a stage, where it's just sticking a little bit, you can either live with it for the few days it'll take to settle in, or you can leave the car for a couple of days to get the last little bit of air out

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
430 Posts
well the pushrod is hard up against the fork, its just not traveling out enough, i think i need to get under the dash and adjust it there, thats the next try

Yep & did you check this before you bolted the clutch to the flywheel?

m in a rush, but the pressure plate is different height or something.

·
Registered
430 Posts
happened to me when I put a new one in

You've gotta bleed that clutch properly, that's where your problem is!! If all you did was drop the gearbox, swap old for new (i.e. identical for identical) it is without a doubt the clutch that needs to be bleed

if you get the clutch to a stage, where it's just sticking a little bit, you can either live with it for the few days it'll take to settle in, or you can leave the car for a couple of days to get the last little bit of air out

cheers
Martin
Disagree, you only get air in the hydraulics if you disconnect a cylinder of if one of the cylinders is sucking air.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
if the pin is to tight ( from the slave to the clutch fork) It makes the clutch work to or direct. (theres no free play)
This has happen to me, when i went from non turbo to turbo motor. I used the non turbo gearbox and clutch slave but turbo clutch. pin was to tight and was making the clutch slip, I had to shorten my rod, to the slave.

Hope this makes some kind of sence

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if the pin is to tight ( from the slave to the clutch fork) It makes the clutch work to or direct. (theres no free play)
This has happen to me, when i went from non turbo to turbo motor. I used the non turbo gearbox and clutch slave but turbo clutch. pin was to tight and was making the clutch slip, I had to shorten my rod, to the slave.

Hope this makes some kind of sence
yeh it makes perfect sense, i have already shortened this rod and it is tight against the clutch fork but not pushing it at all

also to all who say bleed it, i have already bled the system, also mentioned that in the first post, there is no air in it, so leaves me to think the turbo fork actuating piston or master cylinder has a longer throw or i just need to get under the dash and adjust the pedal, going on what ive read today in the nissan manual a pedal adjust should do it.. hopefully

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I have no pedal adustment under my dash, Thats why i had to shorten the rod.
The clutch works fine, but low down on the floor.

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
had a look at it today, it has got adjustments under the dash, and theres about 1 inch freplay so that cant be helping ill fix that tomorrow, also noticed the master cylinder is 5/8 and the fork actuating piston is 3/4, are these ment to be matched or do the fractions just display the piston size?

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,307 Posts
now I am hung over, so short and sweet, I recall adjusting the clutch pedal, to allow more push into the clutch master cylinder (which in turn should push the slave further too)

it's pretty easy from memory too

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
had a look at it today, it has got adjustments under the dash, and theres about 1 inch freplay so that cant be helping ill fix that tomorrow, also noticed the master cylinder is 5/8 and the fork actuating piston is 3/4, are these ment to be matched or do the fractions just display the piston size?
Both should be the same size it would be easier to push a 5/8 master but would have a longer travel. Find a 3/4 master!
I am running a larger master on my brakes (GQ and it is harder but stops better.

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can anyone else check their two cylinders for sizes? they are easy to see and shouldnt take long to check

·
Banned
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers nerok, i read that page the other night shoulda seen that, well the pedal must just need adjusting, ill give it a try tomorrow and report how it goes, it does has a fair amount of free travel at the moment so i recon and adjustment should fix it

·
Registered
107 Posts
mine did this was the slave cylinder feels like a new clutch now 40bucks delivered mate on evil bay hope this helps smoky

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Clutch pedal needs adjusting under the dash
Clutch you should feel from start to finish on pedal travel
Not just at the bottom

Smokey is right
New slave cylinder about $40 and the master cylinder are around $60 ish
Wouldnt be fugged rebuilding them for that money
They are a very basic set up
Hydraulic over hydraulic