Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,421 Posts
Diesel engines are just too hard to make comply with the Euro 5 emissions regs without ruining their ability to produce good power and fuel efficiency, just ask Volkswagen.

Petrol engines make up very little of the current Landcruiser market in Australia. A quick look on carsales shows 50 petrol 200s for sale and 900 diesel 200s. If people want that style of vehicle with a petrol engine they get a Y62 Patrol. It's cheaper, better equipped, more comfortable and quicker than a Landcruiser. Where the current 200 has done very well is with customers that want that style of vehicle with a diesel engine because the 200 is the only car sold in Australia that fits that description. With the power and torque figures they are quoting the 300 series should be quick but how important is that to their traditional market?

How will Toyota do in the petrol engined market? I bet their sales people are panicking.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
The single turbo model Yota V8 is a POS, I saw one last night redlining to stay in front of an old lady in a Festiva going into a merge point.
V6 turbo diesels are a bit boring but they’re very smooth to operate and very compact. I drove different Mercedes Actros with 11.9 litre V6 engines for a few years, gets the job done with very linear torque but emotionless to drive not very exciting.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
We have mercedes sprinter 319s at work V6 turbo diesel and 6 speed auto.
They drive very well plenty of go.
I'll be happy if I get the trol going as well. Should be able to.
I think the 19 stands for 190ps or about 188hp.
Just $ to get it there

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
What I really hate the most about V6 is the awful sound that materializes from the tailpipe, and by improving the exhaust it becomes a bloody worse tin droney din. I find it about as attractive as a die grinder in a tin shed.
They just doesn’t sound like an engine that’s at all happy.

·
Registered
nissan
269 Posts
Arnt Toyota going full electric with their new hi lux ( I think their going to need a bigger extension lead )

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,031 Posts
What I really hate the most about V6 is the awful sound that materializes from the tailpipe, and by improving the exhaust it becomes a bloody worse tin droney din. I find it about as attractive as a die grinder in a tin shed.
They just doesn’t sound like an engine that’s at all happy.
Most V6s aren't purpose built, or are designed with other restrictions imposed that affect them.

Hence they are a) compromised, b) more complicated than they need to be, or c) both.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Id like to test drive the VW V6 diesel, VW is the only one that might sway my prejudice lol

Most of their products are well engineered from fresh design/ engineering

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,630 Posts
Id like to test drive the VW V6 diesel, VW is the only one that might sway my prejudice lol

Most of their products are well engineered from fresh design/ engineering
I nearly bought one. Some major issues with this one as well. Like all modern diesel engines made for passenger use / light commercial use.

·
Registered
nissan
1,532 Posts
The single turbo model Yota V8 is a POS, I saw one last night redlining to stay in front of an old lady in a Festiva going into a merge point.
lol too funny

·
Registered
nissan
1,532 Posts
Since they cross platform shared the new Toyota Supra with BMW. I wouldnt be surprised they will use the BMW x5 turbo diesel engine lol

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
887 Posts
V6 turbo diesels are a bit boring but they’re very smooth to operate and very compact. I drove different Mercedes Actros with 11.9 litre V6 engines for a few years, gets the job done with very linear torque but emotionless to drive not very exciting.
They dont make much grunt for a v8 and their high range gearing doesnt help matters. You could almost be just as fast off the line in a B series 40 series as one of those things.

Sources, last week I drove the 40, this week the 79 Venereal Disease diesel.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,589 Posts
lol too funny
I wouldn't laugh, :(

In my 3lt CRD Patrol I got over taken by four fat chicks in a 1970's Mini going up a steep hill.

Just me and a half a tank of fuel, nothing else in the vehicle.

Now that is embarrassing.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,684 Posts
Arnt Toyota going full electric with their new hi lux ( I think their going to need a bigger extension lead )
Toyota have said they plan on electrifying their entire line up by 2025, but they certainly won't get rid of internal combustion entirely by then, hybrids also fall under the banner of electrification.

There may end up being a full electric version of the hilux for sale, but I'd imagine the next generation will be primarily hybrids.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,398 Posts
They dont make much grunt for a v8 and their high range gearing doesnt help matters. You could almost be just as fast off the line in a B series 40 series as one of those things.

Sources, last week I drove the 40, this week the 79 Venereal Disease diesel.
I actually saw the exhaust manifolds and pipes on the bench the other day, I must say I was rather shocked at the size of them, tiny.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts