Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well i am back and i can't believe i am saying this but guess what for all of you reading this thread!? I GOT THE PATROL RUNNING :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Yes i am a little shell shocked myself. Ok, where to start. Today was a terrible day of rain, as i previously mentioned we couldn't get this Patrol in to the shed as all the sheds at home were full so this was an outside job.

So this is the 3rd full day at this project and today went REALLY well. So i got it in to my head today to check out that Immobilizor because i wasn't convinced my pump from the 2001 patrol that i broke was bad because that Patrol before i scrapped it had very low miles and i took the head off as previously mentioned and the gasket was so far gone that compression to fire it couldn't happen... i had this in my head about this pump from day one that it was a good one and i was right.
So back to the Immobilisor today, the previous lads had been swapping between two injection pumps, two ecu's and two key readers....YES it was a mess. I did spot something today, Ok before i say anymore,yesterday i was saying the NATS light was staying on all the time, when i turned the key on it blinked 6 times and stayed on.... i knew this was odd because my own Patrol (2004) when the pump died i knew it was the pump 100percent because the NATS light still went out after ignition was switched on. So this Patrol i'm working on here having the NATS light on meant to me something was fishy.

So today i checked the Key reader that was marked 2 (not sure why) and an ECU had the same number written on it not by the factory but by the last mechanic trying to arrange things, the ECU that was plugged in to the Patrol was Marked one....Mmmm... so common sense told me to take it out and match them up... and well i'll be...........the NATS light went out.... so that was my NATS issue fixed! :)

So remember yesterday i said my pump was not pumping any diesel regardless of numerous attempts....well today almost on the first few cranks i spotted Diesel and almost died with happiness!!!! Hahaha.... i was just delighted BUT i still questioned the flow...

Now it was a mess, the engine was out of oil due to all the cranking with eveything off.... so i put the timing cover on tempoary and rocker cover and vaccum pump just to see would the thing start and put on those bits to stop oil from going everyplace.... Well i was shocked that it started kicking almost straight away..... and thank god i decided to work on with this pump and not to take it out of my current daly driver patrol..:))))))

So i kept priming the primer on filter and cranking over and it was kicking more and more..... then battery died..

:eek::eek:After getting back from the Funeral to bury the dead battery i had another go with a better battery and it was kicking away nicely.... but i still was worried because of the timing incident yesterday...so i jump leaded it on to my own Patrol and went and had some tea...came back out and cranked it again...i must say it took a while to build up pressure on the primer and THEN after just cranking for a moment that sweet feeling of the engine starting up OMG....i was just in shock i left it run away for a minute but i didn't want to any more without the Rad or any belt on just a saftey thing even though it would be fine for a while running away....so after all it was nice to know the pump was good!

Once left off for a while it started up perfect every go with a little diesel smoke which is normal after fitting a new pump until i get to drive it. No engine lights nothing...all is sweet!! So today was heavy rain and i worked away to get it all back together, i made great progress...i cleaned the timing cover well and re-sealed it and got that on.... Rear EGR pipe on, Rocker cover sealed and back on, Oil topped up in engine a little, glow plugs in and one changed that was bad...Radiator alloy pipe above steering pump on, steering pump, throttle body back on...
You know what the most amazing this of all here i personally think is though that this pump just gone in here out of the 2001 wine coloured Patrol that i broke wasn't last ran since 2013!!! :O Reliable pumps and i guess when they are right they stay right until broken!!

Tomorrow morning i just have to fit all the turbo hoses and IC and airfilter stuff etc...and fresh oil and coolant just got :D a few Vacuum hoses were not so good looking and one had a crack so i changed all them.
I can't wait to test drive it :))))

Happy this turned out so well and happy to share it here and now i have two nice Patrols running :D
All the best
Dan

;)
Vid link-

Attachments

Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
Well done, been following this thread with interest. That sure must be a good feeling to get the beast started.馃槃馃憤馃憦

Registered
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Thanks very much! I am amazed that a pump sitting idle since 2013 has worked perfect today to fire this up!!!

I am simply gobsmacked and it sure makes me look at the VP44 now with another frame of mind!

Registered
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Meant to say i will report back too after i have a good test drive of it ;)
Also i plan to drive this one standard for now, the stock factory intercooler looks very nice on this and dry looking.Also i see the 2007 turbo actuator looks differnt so i'm curious to try all this out and compare it to my own 04 version.Other than that under the bonnet i can't see any other differnce apart from the MAF sensor is a differnt breed too... seems they changed them on this model!
I will also let EGR as is for the time been. First thing i plan to do is a good service once driven for a while. I'm still waiting on the log book to come in my name and as soon as it does it's on the road for this Patrol :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Ok little update. So this morning i was up at stupid o clock and got at it... i finished all the bits that were left to do like, fitting belt and tensioner back on, fan, intercooler and all hoses, i did make one mistake i put on the alloy radiator adaptor coming off the head on backwards lol so i had to remove it and swap it around LOL....

I put the rad in and topped up the oil, jump leads on my own Patrol and let it get a nice charge, it took a lot of coolant to top it up, almost a gallon or a little over it maybe, i used half water and pure full strength coolant. She started very easy only a few cranks (As one glow plug is dead) and it ran fantastic with everything back on as it should... i just had to pump up one of the BFGoodrich tires that was flat and i was good to go...i had to refill the coolant a few times and then it held a nice level in the expantion tank only needing a top up this evening and it didn't go down no more... all the radiator hoses are nice and soft and it's not loosing any coolant or oil thank god!!

A few things i noticed on the first drive, well actually i was shocked with how well this thing drives... it's lovely, i think it sounds a little differnt to my 04 model... the engine is quiter really and is very powerful, i love the smoothness!! :)

I was exhausted today though after my two hard days work but i was excited to drive it... so after my first drive i pulled over to check things out and i had a bad leak :( .... i had no idea what it was so i headed for home, my coolant looked fine.
So after i got home i could tell straight away it was diesel leaking and i got a bad shock to see my pump was soaked!!!
It did not take long to see where the leak was though LOL ... my diesel return pipe had a pin hole size leak and it was pointing straight to the pump and had it soaked and the back of the engine sprayed...i was lucky it didn't take off as it was near the exhaust too... :O
So a few minutes later i had that fixed and back in action...

So i took Nicola with me this time and we went for a good drive... this time it was fantastic just Wow.... i think this verison DI drives nicer than the old ones but i heard they used a differnt ratio and final drive too as far as i am aware and it's running on 17" rims as opposed to the older 16's ...

I expected and hoped the brakes would be better than my own not so good ones on my 04 model but they are as poor if not worse...lol ... i see it needs new discs and pads though as they are knackered!! At least the fronts as the rears are not too bad.. So that's on my 'To do list'

I have another small issue but i sort of expected it... the last Mechanic stripped one of the threads on my power steering pump (Where it mounts in,lower bolt) so it's making a lot of racket like gear clashing sound, it's deffo the pump because one side is secured and the other isnt too great so the pump gear is off alignment a little.... Not good....i don't plan to drive it until this is sorted...the pump power is intermittant too and it gets heavy... the box looks good and the resivour is full of power steering fluid..... one quick way i am going to test this is by removing pump tomorrow and starting it up...if noise is gone all is good. I Can just tap out a new thread!!

All in all so far this was a great choice and typical of Patrols most of the minded ones are a good investment. Just do your homework though and don't buy anything on a whim,make enquiries and be paitent...don't buy something you know nothing about for a project because they can become a mine field of problems!! I knew this Patrol and see it around a lot and i knew the guy who used own it and he had his own business too and used maintain it well so this worked out well for me and it turned out to be a very wise move!!

Few shots of the new beast out for it's first drive today and a few short vids to follow soon of it driving ! :)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Ok i took a heap of pics and a few videos so i will update in due course...today has been a full day of working on the small stuff on this Patrol and i must say more time was needed to put all trim covers back on around the dash than anything else LOL... the center console box one arm was broke so i changed that with a spare i had... i gave the whole thing a good wash inc a pressure wash under the chassis and around the engine bay, it came up mint! Very pleased with that now.I also done a quick inside valet inc cleaning all floor mats and the carpet a good hovering out... the interior is spotless in this Patrol i must say very well kept :) One park light bulb on the left rear had to be changed out and a little rewiring needed to be done as a wire was broke, a park light bulb on the front also needed to be done so i got a set and must do these next, the headlamps need to come out to acess i think. I needed to change out an Intercooler clamp as it was broke too.So all these small jobs took time today so now to get on to the bigger issues well not too big ;)

I had a loud whine/rattle bearing noise after doing this pump job,now i assumed it was either a timing chain rattle or the powersteering pump because one of the threads was stripped the lower one on the pump and i naturally thought that this was going to be my problem,i just coudn't get the lower pump bolt snug enough Sooooo ...today i took off the radiator shrowd to gain more space and i done my first helicoil on that thread and it was a success!! :D worked great and i must say a super job...so after refitting my powersteering pump back on the noise was still there....Mmm..now i was worried BUT i decided to try a spare low K powersteering pump i had to hand, i just took off the banjo bolt off the powersteering box and refitted the new pump with line and all straight on...it was a fairly easy job and to my delight once all bolted back on the noise was gone and my steering was silky smooth again....:))) It did take a while to bleed and had to top it up a few times with fluid but it felt great to eliminate another issue here!!

So i drove the Patrol now around for a 100miles sinse my last update and can't believe how much power this thing has....my 2004 patrol just got a new engine, pump and injectors but this thing would wipe the floor with it!!!! And my 04 patrol is not slow by any means LOL.... The differnce is so sobering that i would never go back to the earlier model... i love it and the factory turbo seems to have been much improved.....it's like driving the modern TDI Transit vans the fast ones...this thing really can move and it's so quite and powerful and very refined compared to the earlier DI's i am used of...very light on the diesel too!! I did spot the turbo actuator Nissan have them slightly differnt looking at the crown...they look bigger... also the MAF sensor is completly differnt looking here.
What ever other changes Nissan made to these later DI models it was for the better because this is the best Patrol i have ever driven and i plan to let it standard completly as i have my 2004 modified with some bits.

Anyway, so i'm not quite out of the spanners yet with this though, i have it fully on the road now as my 'main' vehicle apart from the missus's car this is my main vehicle now to drive and my other 04 Patrol i plan to sell...it will make good money with all the work that is done and the new pump etc etc.. i did contimplate using my new pump in this patrol but it wouldn't be worth the effort stripping down a perfectly running Patrol in the first place to do that so i'm happy that i had this spare Injector pump to hand when i needed it and it got the job done....so Anyway.... where was i!? Ohhh yes.. i am not quite out of the spanners yet with this because i have a 'Hot start' problem now, and cold start....the glow plugs are perfect as i checked all those and they wouldn't cause this cause this morning was actually freezing temps and it started ok....
I think it could be the startor, it sounds differnt to me and fairly loud, if i keep the starter on it she will fire up fairly fast but nothing like they should ...it's taking quite some turns to get her going... now the other thing i suspect and will be trying it first is the coolant temp sensor because i think my coolant hand looks to be sitting in the low range of where Patrols normally sit ....maybe this is correct for the year of the Patrol, maybe they are slightly differnt but my attention was bought to this when i first test drove it.... all is fine under the hood with the coolant etc....levels staying normal it's just this sensor i get the feeling might be playing up... i am going to change it first as i have a spare and then i am going to test the starter!!

I have it booked in for the LGV next thursday (Annual vehicle test) and i have a few small jobs to do first, this is one of them, the next is a drivers door hinge and change two front park light bulbs and tighten the handbrake....my front brake discs and pads need changing but i'm going to gamble the test first as they are!!

Will update on this hotstart issue, i hope it's not the pump from been idle all the years!!#
;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Ok time for another little update, i think i might have solved the hard starting issue,i have a feeling it's Vacuum related because on shut down the valve on the throttle body for shut down is not closing with Vacuum once vehicle is shut off because i am used to them and know when they work right, when they don't work right the engine shakes and is a little rougher when shut down so i have a hunch this is what the problem may be. Of course a possibility too it may have nothing to do with it. I will check this out tomorrow.

Now the other thing it could be is the starter i must get it tested somehow.

So apart from all that i changed the coolant temp sensor today and of course it wasn't the problem but it was worth a shot.

So moving on from that and back to the cleaning, i have spent almost two full days cleaning/valeting it and i must say i am delighted with how it has come up...the interior isn't bad but could do with more cleaning (To do list) but the most impressive part is the body itself it is just mint!! This is the first polish after a good wash yesterday and it came up really great. :) You have to love Nissan's finish...the paint work is always great on the Patrols.

So apart from all the above i am not finished yet, i still need to adjust handbrake, fit park light bulbs and a door hinge but i am just delighted with this Patrol...it's awesome and i love it.... drives amazing!!! :)))

Some pics after the first polish and Ohh yeah i got the heated seats working again too it was just a fuse! :giggle::giggle:
I am also very impressed with those BFGoodrich tires...they look awesome! :D Now to get interior mint too lol

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Meant to say too that in the morning i am going to change that overflow banjo bolt on my Injection pump.For anyone reading this thread i remember when i got this Patrol first i spotted they had bypassed this banjo bolt and used a 'nut' just to lock it off and stop any flow back.I presume they spotted something was not quite right with this overflow valve. I think the valve open around 14psi so maybe this is a good starting point for me to change this and see in the morning...only a two minute job and won't it be awesome if it cures these hot start problems.I had forgot about this completly and used this banjo bolt on my own pump when i fitted it...;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Ok it has been a hectic few days here in Ireland We are now in to the freezing temps and winter has arrived. I have been working on the Patrol on and off...i have had a very unusual problem.... ok i mentioned a hot start here,well i have that figured out, as it's freezing here and 0 to -1 degrees i have realised that my Glow plugs were not glowing what so ever!!
I could not start it yesterday morning at all so i decided to fit some new heater plugs,and after taking them out one was dead..... i had fitted this dead one because when i done the pump i hadn't plugs to hand so one was bad but that would not cause a no start... 3 heater plugs would work fine.I did however get a shock when i found that none of them were glowing... this is an issue that just happened and all i can say is a small 10mm bolt has been wedged between the glow bar and the rocker cover metal top cover (Silly me must have dropped it fitting the top plastic intercooler cover as i remember loosing one & had a lot done that day i fitted the pump,that had been a long day) but this didn't cause any issues because the 100amp glow fuse was fine and i tested the glow relay that too was fine but there was no power to the glow rail...This is so strange. All fuses everywhere were fine.
So today i done some more digging around and spotted one of the small wires going to the glow relay was not getting any power from the ECU or where ever it gets power from the glow timer.... actually does any one know where the glow timer is?? i presume it's built in to the ECU?
As i needed the Patrol running for work i decided to use a switch lower under the dash which i placed nice and neat to the left side and now i can just Glow the plugs manually for now....

Now here is another confusing one, everytime i let the Patrol sit for anything over a 5minutes i need to glow it to start because it just gets lazy starting....maybe it's the cold but my other Patrols never needed me to do this.

However now when i glow the hot start issue is gone.So as i say this manual glow will buy me time until i rectify the issue.
Can anyone chime some light on what this issue could be??

I have had a great week with the Patrol though, it's fantastic on the road and lovely to tow with, in fact today was the 'Maiden tow' i delivered a heavy load of hardwood firewood a good 100kmh's away and it was fantastic on the road :)
So smooth and we feel so happy it has heated seats LOL ... badly needed here today! :p

I got a good few jobs done to it sinse because my LGV test is thursday this week, i changed the park light bulbs on front and the rear numberplate light, tomorrow i am fitting new discs all round and new pads and going to bleed up the brakes.... i fitted a drivers side top door hinge as it was worn (This was a pig of a job) i had to have someone hold the door up so it wouldn't drop and most of the wing had to be bolted loose to access the inner bolt of the hinge...(FACEPALM) i also need to adjust the handbrake and away it goes for it's first test....

So that is the news for now... other than all that it's driving stunning, making great power and lovely and light on the Diesel, that pump is a good one for sure :)
Can anyone chime in on the Glow issues though??? This would be a help.

Dan

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Re 'lazy starting after standing' is it possible fuel is draining back to the tank from an air leak, have had this myself many years ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks GU2,

The Diesel primer is staying hard. I replaced all copper washers on the IP when i fitted it...i had a diesel leak on the return line and fitted a new one. I honestly don't think i have a drain back problem but it's so weird i have to glow it even after driving it all day if it's sitting for more than a few mins it start fast with a glow so diesel is always there.

If i don't glow it when hot it's a lazy start though... very very strange! I know it's freezing here but that wouldn't cause it to need a glow so soon.

Only thing i did notice this evening is my AC was stuck on full on and it's fan so i disconnected the fan and the A/C pumps connector.I am just thinking with that fan on the whole time it might not have been letting my engine warm up enough... Mmm food for thought.... i really never had this Glow issue before,it's a new one!

My god what sort of monkey was at the wiring of this Patrol last ...:O

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Thanks GU2,

The Diesel primer is staying hard. I replaced all copper washers on the IP when i fitted it...i had a diesel leak on the return line and fitted a new one. I honestly don't think i have a drain back problem but it's so weird i have to glow it even after driving it all day if it's sitting for more than a few mins it start fast with a glow so diesel is always there.

If i don't glow it when hot it's a lazy start though... very very strange! I know it's freezing here but that wouldn't cause it to need a glow so soon.

Only thing i did notice this evening is my AC was stuck on full on and it's fan so i disconnected the fan and the A/C pumps connector.I am just thinking with that fan on the whole time it might not have been letting my engine warm up enough... Mmm food for thought.... i really never had this Glow issue before,it's a new one!

My god what sort of monkey was at the wiring of this Patrol last ...:O
Maybe you need to starter motor condition and connection.

Registered
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Hi GU2, Yes i was thinkng it might be the starter too but it sounds to be turning fast enough.... this thing is getting harder and harder to start in the cold and the longer it's left sit, i think i have a serious air in the system problem from some place, It's starting to look like i will have to comb over the whole system now and check.
At this stage i'm not going to rule out that the pump is a bad one but before i do that i am going to try everything possible first...

I went out with a trailer load yesterday evening and it drove lovely on the way but coming home it was getting that annoying 'dead pedal' feeling... BUT...this evening i spotted one of my vaccum hoses had come off the vaccum pump (Roll eyes) so i zip tied the both of them on so i can assume this was causing my turbo some temporary problems while the hose was off...

It's early days yet but i have a feeling the pump is 100percent i just need to sort out the teething problems first...i am very suspicious of the filter primer, and the hoses, i may change all those out again... this is another primer i have no idea of it's condition only it seems to remain fairly full of diesel and only needs one and a half pumps to fill. I also might change the copper sealing washers one more time on the IP because i don't like to overtighten those banjo bolts as i have seen them snap very easy!!

So today was another busy busy day on this Patrol...my test for it is tomorrow is at 12 o clock noon and i hope it passes... buying a used vehicle here in Ireland these days is a nightmare, i bought this without a 'test' but the dropside to that is some insurance companies won't cover it without a test now so i had a problem there but got it done in the end...also without a test one can't road tax the vehicle here so i need the test asap because i need all those things on the windscreen...the guards here are gone very bad with these things...
So today in preperation for the test the drivers side door hinge today was an absoloute PIG to change...the wing needed to be partially bolted off to access the inner bolts on the top hinge or you can just take door off which we ended up having to do anyway....
I bought a full set of brake pads for both axles only to discover that they had just been changed by the previous owner.... did i mention the brakes are beyond crap.... you need to jump on the pedal to get them to work... and the vaccum is low enough, however i feel the more i drive it the better they are coming back and biting... we sort of reckoned today that they had litterly just been done hence why they may be taking time to build up/bed in and start to bite! As i say they seem to be improving the more i drive it...and BTW the discs are in great shape allround..not sure what i was thinking but there is very little wear on them!

The next thing i ended up 'having' to do was the driver side king pins... they had stupid amounts of play while the passenger side had none what so ever... the last owner told me he had the whole lot front hubs fully rebuilt Mmmm..... he should go back and have a word with his mechanic lol...
Anyway, i just took the shims out and packed them with loads of grease and it done the trick for now to get it passed it's test tomorrow!!

The two last small jobs before it's test was to adjust the handbrake...this was annnoying too because to get the handbrake lever nice and low with a decent bite meant the shoes were starting to stick so where we left it the final adjustment was good but not where i had hoped the handbrake lever travel to be.

Finally i fitted a small bulb above the rear number plate and i intend to give it a good pressure wash under and around engine in the morning before it's test....but leaving the shed this evening after all the work took quite the effort to start it... the engine sounded dry for a while then it started to kick and fire up despite a good glowing!! Mmm.... i must get to the bottom of that.

The testing here in Ireland at the moment is called CVRT and it's getting so annoyingly strict!!! I mean they will fail you now for the most stupidest of stuff.... it's getting harder and harder to get vehicles past... the only positive consolation for me is i am driving the Patrols a long time and i know what they look for now in them... to be honest the chassis and emissions are the more serious ones they look out for in these tests!

BTW to correct some mistakes above in past posts, i was saying in yesterdays post that i fitted door hinge...i meant to say i took it off my other Patrol that i have for parts and i just fitted it today. Also to add i took out return banjo bolt and it was cracked and used another one with no improvment. Very strange indeed!

Dan

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
Ok so today was a great day with the Patrol, i took it for it's test and it passed first go ;) Looks like my hard work paid off with this one.
I expected some things to be wrong small things.... maybe a D bush around the stabilizor or something but they all looked good but yes thank god nothing was wrong...no slop ...no play this Patrol drives like new and yes the brakes are starting to bed in nicely and are starting to bite very well now!

More good news on the hot start thing... i couldn't believe my eyes today that the diesel pipe feeding the filter was not even clamped down near the chassis.... this does not surprise me either after the last mechanic that was at it (Roll eyes)

So i tightened this clamp and honestly i thought it was starting much faster and better today, however this morning before i found this loose none existant clamp it was -1 and a terrible smoky start indeed....a long crank and slow start... seemed like the fuel was not in the pump at all...Time will tell if it was this clamp... i will know in the morning!

Tomorrow i need to go back to town and get my forms in order to road tax it now that i have the CVRT test i can road tax it.... this Patrol is a very sought after model in Ireland not only because it's the elegance model with every extra but it is also known as a 'crewcab' which means i can have the rear seats and cheap tax with for my business been self employed. Other wise if i wasn't self employed i would be paying 1200euro per year just to road tax it where as now i am just paying 333euros! It's taxed as a 'goods' vehicle or commercial :)
My other 2004 Patrol had no rear seats and i was paying the same tax, so this is why this model is so sought after!

I will keep all updated on this Hot start thing and if it improves...it's gone from a hot start now to a cold start issue LOL... starting better now as i say when hot but not perfect...it needs to be glowed a lot but it's very cold here now...
Maybe like i say tightening this loose diesel hose clamp could be the key ;)

Dan

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
So i said i would give another update! I decided that it would be silly to sell my 2004 Patrol with my new IP with a warranty till next may so YES i bite the bullet and changed out the older pump and fitted my new Injection pump from my 04 patrol in to my 2007 current driver.
So all in all it went great with no drama! I then fitted the older one in to my 2004 model. Long story short i just swapped them again!

Here is where things get strange... i was suffering a 'Hot start' problem in my 2007 Patrol recently....Ok first to recap here....i took out the old IP from the 2001 Patrol model i have scrapped for parts and fitted it to the 2007 model and it worked great, the reason i done it this way is because i was still driving my 2004 Patrol when i got the 07 model so i didn't want to have that out of action just yet at the time as i was using it for work.....so after that all went well i decided to take out the pump i recently had fully rebuilt in my 2004 model and put it in the 07 Patrol.

Ok back on topic, after the first Older IP transplant in to my 07 model here on this thread i was suffering 'Hot starts' and it wasn't bad on cold start up....now i didn't want to beat around the bush so i suspected it was the older Injector pump i had just fitted acting up....how wrong was i!!!! I now have the new pump in the 07 Patrol and yes i am exhausted from all the work LOL but now i have a great start once hot with no more 'hot start' problems but now in the morning it has become a pig to start taking quite a few cranks to get it fired up... it's like diesel has left the building LOL..
:eek::ROFLMAO:

I put the older pump back in the 2004 Patrol and guess what!? It's going like a bomb!!! That is a good pump...it's 100percent, fires easy anytime and plenty power!!! WOW....for a pump idle since 2013 that's amazing really!! :O

Anyway back on topic to the 07 Patrol again, i now have a cold start problem and a very dead pedal.... i am going to go out on a limb here and presume my MAF is the culprit.... i am going to just bite the bullet and change it....i have none of these 'Later' style MAF's though so i am just going to have to buy a new one... however i have a lot of the older style ones for spares....

So the 07 Patrol is driving lovely but has some teething problems that i will get to the bottom of....no engine light which does not help me.... i transfered over the Diesel smart actuator which takes a boost ref from the IC and yes it got rid of the dead pedal so that told me it might have been a vacuum issue or actuator problem BUT i still want to get to the bottom of this issue with this Patrol in 'STOCK' setting.... i still think the MAF can cause problems like this too so i plan to get it tested asap first....i took it out and cleaned it but it made things worse if anything...the actuator change told me a few things but it only masked a problem because it was still gutless with the other actuator where my 2004 Patrol goes like stink with the Diesel smart actuator so i have some other issue on this 07 model to find....all Vaccum lines look good and boost hoses all fine... however when it does get out of the 'dead pedal' thing it goes like stink and very well on standard set up...i think since i cleaned the MAF sensor this problem just happend cause it wasn't there at the start.

So i am delighted with all the progress....my 2004 Patrol is currently up for sale with the older Injector pump in it and i took off my diesel smart stuff and welded IC ;) i am selling it bog standard!

So i am exhausted from working on these Patrols right now as it's tough to run a business, be a family man and work on these pumps myself but i am delighted with the progress and this 2007 Patrol is so worth all the work cause it drives lke new apart from it's other small issues right now...i have had 'dead pedal' in the past with Patrols and more often than not it turns out to be the MAF or TPS... sometimes it can be an airleak in the diesel line but not always.
So now the issues with this 2007 model is a cold start problem, like i mentioned earlier it's not glowing plugs no more so i had to manually glow them now with a button also my engine warm up does not work now more (What an annoyance especially as it's cold now here and winter time!! And this dead pedal thing...i will update!

Here is how many times i have changed Injector pumps in the last two weeks!!! :O :O i am going to number the pump changes/swaps so you can follow LOL..i have worked too hard in the last few weeks at these and the Scissor gear & timing for me is a piece of cake once i know now...!! One does have to just go ahead and do it to learn...it's the only way!

• Removed #1 Zexel injection pump from my 2001 Patrol to use in the project ( 6 hours )
  • Removed faulty #2 injection pump form my new 2007 Patrol ( 6 hours)
  • Fitted the #1 injection pump to my 2007 Patrol ( 5 hours ish) taking it easy
  • Removed newly overhauled #3 Injection pump from my 2004 Patrol (3 hours) (I'm getting used to them now lol)
  • Removed #1 Injection pump from my 2007 patrol
  • Fitted #3 Injection pump to my 2007 Patrol with warranty still on it till next may!
  • Fitted #1 Injection pump to my 2004 Patrol which i currently have for sale!
So guys that is SEVEN injection pump swaps/ changes in the last few days for me!!! i am wrecked!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
Hi Dan.
I am very impressed by all this work you have done.
A few tips below which might help your thinking.

1/ If you put a new IP on a PATROL, it possibly injects more fuel, and therefore you get more power out of your motor, which drives more strongly the exhaust turbine of your turbo, and therefore you get more air in and .... MAF tension goes up. So what you call 'dead pedal' could simply be MAF tension being too high at some point in time, and above the 'security' threshold managed by ECU (the famous LIMP modes), getting it to stop the fueling until the MAF tension goes below the threshold. It is NOT a MAF problem. You can decrease the MAF tension by inserting one or several schottky diodes in serie on the MAF signal going to the ECU ( - 0.1V to - 0.15V per diode ) depending upon what tensions you measure vs RPM.

On a 2007 PATROL, being OBD2 compliant, you can use plenty of different hw and sw tools to get access to various sensors data.

2/ HOT/COLD start. If it comes new after an IP removal, installation process, you might have a tightness problem somewhere, and air coming in...

for what it is worth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Hi phdv61,

Yes it seems like an airleak but some good news today!! Well some mixed news and to be honest it's a confusing rollercoaster ride with both Patrols at the moment LOL....

So this morning i just couldn't help feeling for some reason that my fuel filter was clogged because that's just the feeling i'm getting that it's lacking fuel & too i think maybe because this 2007 Patrol had been sitting a long time...when i say long time i mean 4-5 months before it was taken to autoelectricians and it sat there for another 3 months.. so i had a gut feeling that the tank may be suspect and i spotted when i bought it home that they were using cheap tax free agri diesel (green) to try to start it.. So once i got it home at the time i used an old fuel filter and primer i had for spare because the filter that was in it was the worst i had ever seen LOL....and once i done the IP change and got it running i then took my primer and fuel filter only in the 2004 patrol a few weeks and fitted them to this 07 model... however after just a few days i had this dead pedal thing.... so i had a hunch that my fuel filter was after clogging pretty rapidly and it looks like it was the damn fuel filter!! This morning i put back on the old fuel filter and guess what....NO DEAD PEDAL!!! It drove fantastic today really now...instant responce and i couldn't fault it so i put it down to my new fuel filter somehow gettng clogged fairly fast after using it...
Now here is where things start to get weird....
I was at my 2004 Patrol today finishing up a few bits so i put on the new fuel filter and primer on that just to finish it up for now and i had to take off my Diesel smart actuator and put on the stock one...i replaced a few vaccum lines and took it for a spin after starting it.....OMG.... this 04 Patrol is a weapon and it's driving the best i have ever had it....man i can't believe it that old pump is making some power!!! :O i really think it does not want me to sell it!! Lol ...i have had this one since 2010 so it's like a member of the family too now LOL...i even considered keeping it aswell but it wouldn't make good financial sense to keep both,But i am so impressed with that old VP44 that was ide for so long!!!The PSG on top of that old pump looked mint even!

Anyway, when i was done working on the 04 Patrol today i went back to my 07 one and went for a spin....it had gone cold again and was hard to start...it was like the pump was empty....so i started it and went to the local town just earlier and it drove nice but i thought the pedal was dead at times AGAIN.... (Facepalm) so long story short i have an air leak somewhere in the fuel lines...now don't get me wrong it's driving far better but could this old filter be clogged aswell....
I think it's time for another new Diesel filter only i wish i could clean out that tank...i think that's where the issue is....i used compressed air today too to blow back the line and it seemed to work too with that dead pedal thing...
this is 100percent a fuel feed issue here and a simple new fuel filter may fix it...i will update!!

There are deffo no airleaks anywhere after doing the IP swap say around the pump side of things in towards and around engine..i was thorough with all the injector lines and they were nice and snug...no injectors were touched. Basically just the pump was put in and the copper washers were not touched this time even on the pump and it ran perfect in the 04 model... the only place air could be getting in is the clamps on the hoses to the pump but they are fine and done up nice and tight too so the suspect area is back around the tank, i think fuel is somehow getting back. I may park it nose down tonight as my drive is hilly anyway and see how it behaves tomorrow! Then maybe a none return valve may help till i get a new primer. Nissan Ireland do not import patrol parts no more so it's ebay for me and even there the primers only can be got from Ozz it seems or eastern europe. Now and then we can be lucky and they may come up in the uk but it's not often.

My 04 model i just put the other older pump back in to is NOT having any of these issues that i condemed the older pump for causing in the 07 model hence why i took it out...man was i wrong! :O

Possibility it could be the primer to as there are very hard to get now here and all are old!!
I will update...

Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
Interesting. I should have thought of this.
I live in the South of France, but go to the French Alpes skiing several times during winter. Every year I need to replace my fuel filter as otherwise it gets clogged overnight when it is very icy, thanks to the humidity you always have in the diesel tank...

Registered
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
So a fast update today... i am still getting a hesitation at 2000rpms and it's most annoying & today we had a very strange and the first i ever seen in any patrol!! We drove to the local town to do some business and on the way home the Patrol would not pass 2000rpm's.... anytime i tried to pass that it would try to cut out like a petrol misfiring! I knew this had to the the TPS...so i changed out the TPS the complete pedal and it made no differnce.I have a spare but just to be sure i took it out of my 2004 Patrol because that is driving right now!! No differnce so it's not the TPS... I then changed the Fuel filter and saw a good top end pull but still the annoying hesitation at 2000Rpm's ...
Took it for a drive again and it would not rev above 2000rpm's and had to nurse it home under that but it drove ok under that but very slow. I thought now for sure it must be the MAF...I got home and spotted the IP connector completly wet and dirty looking.So i unplugged it and used some contact cleaner and done a few more connectors in that area while i was at it.
We then went on a 50mile drive and it drove perfect and revs above 2000 again fine only the annoying hesitation is still here sometimes only!! It starts at 2000rpm's and i take my leg off the pedal and reapply and all is good.

I think it's time to change the MAF...it's taking me sometime to find one as these are the newer versions on these 07 patrols.
Looking back now i think this hesitation issue only happened after i cleaned this MAF (Facepalm) lol.... but in my defense it was very very dirty!!

I will report back but the cold hardstarts in the mornings still remain regardless of glowplug time. Hopefully now the fuel filter change might make some differnce to that. Let's see tomorrow morning!

Meant to say too in the next few days i am going to run a diesel pipe overnight direct to the IP and see how it starts in the morning and if that don't get to the bottom of it and give some clues it's going to my mechanic to see if there is any airleak in the fuel system back around the tank. I don't want to pay 150euros + for a primer if i don't need it! This hesitation just feels like a lack of diesel flow when driving it and more than likely it may be that...if the MAF was bad it would throw the engine light on...no lights nothing and even when it wouldn't rev today past 2000Rpm's no light either....typical Nissan DI. so called self diagnostics... engine light is about as useful as a hot icecream cone!

Dan

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Meant to say too in the next few days i am going to run a diesel pipe overnight direct to the IP and see how it starts in the morning and if that don't get to the bottom of it and give some clues it's going to my mechanic to see if there is any airleak in the fuel system back around the tank. I don't want to pay 150euros + for a primer if i don't need it! This hesitation just feels like a lack of diesel flow when driving it and more than likely it may be that...if the MAF was bad it would throw the engine light on...no lights nothing and even when it wouldn't rev today past 2000Rpm's no light either....typical Nissan DI. so called self diagnostics... engine light is about as useful as a hot icecream cone!

Dan
Your going to bypass the filter? please don't do it for any longer than a startup Dan, get to the bottom of this fast mate if there is air it kills self lubricating pumps stone dead.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts