Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
The Patrol was plugged in to various machines when i arrived down today...i sort of caught them 'offguard' and just walked in...lol...
Well the whole situation was explained to them properly and they really do think that it's the coolant temp sensor. The Patrol right now from cold things it's overheating badly at over 200degrees LOL so says the ECU. The guys here have the best diagnostic equipment in the country (Supposedly)

I myself highly doubt it's the coolant temp sensor but i could be wrong.Like i say i changed this and it made no differnce!
Sad to say this i know and i come off here as distrustful & doubting when i say this but i still think it's a sensor on the pump that they could be chaning rather than the coolant temp one..LOL!! will i ever really know!? Maybe i might have a differnt frame of mind tomorrow..right now i don't know what to think.All i can think was it was the pump from day one.

To be honest i don't care what they change aslong as i get my Patrol back running.

I had words with the boss man today and said ''Look it's like this,if this Patrol leaves here without a diagnosis,i am sending it to Nissan and letting it to them to send the pump away for independant testing and if it comes back faulty then we have big problem needless to say i won't be footing the bill with Nissan!!

Dan

Reactions: skegbudley

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
717 Posts
the Temp sensor is controlled by the ECU, and the ECU gives you an error code ( DTC 0103) if it provides inconsistent data. It is a thermistor ( resistance wich varies with temp). There is also a fuel temp sensor in the IP, which value is sent digitally through the IP to ECU interface (DTC 0402). both can be acquired and checked through OBD interface and sw.
If, when they move the temp sensor the PATROL Revs again, you may have a bad wire/connexion to the temp sensor creating a modification in the tension seen in return by the ECU (ex : tension going to ground = 0V means a very high temp). Hence possibly a security mode from the ECU, which cant' know it is not real. But I would guess you would get an 'overheating' DTC.

If the motor is too hot, ECU will limit the fuel injection to protect it...
And that, even with a good sensor.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,595 Posts
the Temp sensor is controlled by the ECU, and the ECU gives you an error code ( DTC 0103) if it provides inconsistent data. It is a thermistor ( resistance wich varies with temp). There is also a fuel temp sensor in the IP, which value is sent digitally through the IP to ECU interface (DTC 0402). both can be acquired and checked through OBD interface and sw.
If, when they move the temp sensor the PATROL Revs again, you may have a bad wire/connexion to the temp sensor creating a modification in the tension seen in return by the ECU (ex : tension going to ground = 0V means a very high temp). Hence possibly a security mode from the ECU, which cant' know it is not real. But I would guess you would get an 'overheating' DTC.

If the motor is too hot, ECU will limit the fuel injection to protect it...
And that, even with a good sensor.

View attachment 514553
Yes there is a map that limits fuel based on water temp. It was meant to work in liu of a EGT sensor and would of worked to limit EGTs if Nissan hadn't stuffed up the calcs.
It is very possible that if the water temp sensor is reading extremely high that it would limit fuel to the point it won't rev very high under load.
Very strange they didn't notice this when they first connected the engine analyzer. For those with a Ecutalk. This is the sensor it reads in order to show water temp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Yes Skeg exactly my thoughts too after been down now over 10days i thought they might have found this earlier especially as i told them about the codes before i dropped it. I guess it's a process of elimination. And the timing thing took some time up fixing that guide & resetting everything. It looks like i'm in with ten other vehicles too down there so they are juggling them all...it's crazy busy looking there.

Anyway slightly offtopic but as i urgently need to get back to work i am after picking up a little runaround until i get my Patrol back. A tidy little 2.5 Navara. It has a full test up on it & engineers report and has back seats (crewcab). When i get Patrol back i plan to sell this Nav on again..i bought it at a very good price and it will easily make it back to resell.
I may also keep it as a second vehicle yet i'll see.. it could come in handy in the event of a breakdown LOL!
I no nothing about Navaras but i hear this model were good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Well i got a phone call today litterly half an hour after i bought the Navara telling me the Patrol was revving and running fine again o_O:ROFLMAO: Can you believe it...one hour after i bought the Navara LOL...BTW the Navara i used it all day today and man that's a little flyer... apparently had the crankshaft done on a recall and crank bearings as according to the owner i bought this from said some of these early models had known issues from the factory and had to be recalled,at the time of that rebuild it had a new head also and it's driving fantastic...this work was done around 2014 to this Nav said the owner and he said it has not missed a beat sinse and the milage isn't huge either. It makes great power. I really like it to drive it and very nice to tow with. It's no Patrol though...the Patrols are just tanks!

So the phonecall was that the Patrol is fixed and that is great news but i want to drive it to really see how she's going... it's better i got the Navara anyway for the meantime because my Patrol won't be ready till tuesday.Apparently my Radiator wasn't in the best shape so they sent it away to get it serviced & that is due back monday so i'm happy about that because i done four coolant flushes after getting that Patrol and thought that and it still looked very crappy...not sure what the hell was going on in there with the last owner,maybe he never done a coolant flush!
Anyway, apparently it was the coolant temp sensor. 🤔 I don't know what to think about that to be honest because i changed that out with another spare i had and it didn't make any differnce nor log a code anytime unless the code it did log was somehow connected 0208 (cooling fan) there comes a time when self diagnosing these that you just start to distrust your own simple train of logic. I assume i get a code for every sensor if it's not right but so many things can be connected to eachother and it throws me off when i see i can unplug my MAF sensor and it won't log a code and it didn't either on my other Patrol! Maybe we start to think a sensor may not be fully dead but just faulty thus not logging a code yet...and this train of thought when self diagnosing these can be very offputting too i find.... then aswell i think one just starts to distrust wiring etc so to be fair one can be fairly limited self diagnosing these without good diagnostic machines! Mainly the Nissans can be offputting because so many times people just don't get fault codes for errors and they may come too late. I thought this fan was just for the A/C but Ohh well we learn something new everyday! LOL. somehow the whole lot is linked up in the ECU and can throw things off..Anyway despite me telling them early on i didn't think it was the Coolant temp sensor and i changed that already apparently it still somehow turned out to be the problem!

I am getting it back tuesday and will see how she's going. I will update.I hope it's driving good because just cause it's ready and revving don't mean it's going to be perfect either but i guess they will know fairly straight away when they drive it as will i.

Dan

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Just edited the above post to make it intelligible :ROFLMAO:i normally type very fast and make a lot of errors so i have to go back and edit many times when writing long winded posts, Anyway i will update when i see how it's driving! ;)

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Just edited the above post to make it intelligible i normally type very fast and make a lot of errors so i have to go back and edit many times when writing long winded posts, Anyway i will update when i see how it's driving! ;)
Lol. I thought you were just speaking Irish.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
LOL Skeg, the Irish might be easier to read :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, been driving the Navara sinse and my god a lovely little driver those...great power and fast LOL.. giddy in the bends though compared to the Patrol and a little bouncy at times with the rear leaf springs compared to the Trolls coils.. nice machines though in all fairness.My first time driving one of those Navs.

Getting my Patrol back tuesday now and can't wait to see how she's going. I hope i won't be disappointed LOL

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
Just said i would post a fast update here...so i am collecting my Patrol tomorrow and they fitted a brand new Radiator too and great value at 200euro because as i previously mentioned my own was not the best. Apparently the hold up was the radiator as it had to come from UK.Also my Vacuum pump had a slight crack on it on one of the ears that the bolt goes through so that was replaced too with one i sent them down a spare i had..i never seen any oil leaks or anything on that and it was fine when i last fitted it...maybe it was damaged with the previous owner who knows but it was better to replace it anyway... So i was lucky here so far because every part they needed i had which made this work out great for me! Apart from the new Radiator.
They finished putting everything back today including a fresh oil change, new Injector O rings and copper washers and a new Coolant temp sensor. They also fitted my Gearbox PNP switch and that put back on my heat button :)
I am not sure if they have it glowing off the key again but i'll find out tomorrow as i am picking it up....apparently they took it for a test drive and the engine is great and making great power and driving lovely!
I still need to drive it myself and see LOL.... I will update.
So the parts that were needed and i supplied myself to them were,

• Cam shaft gear (Exhaust side) (I had it i just gave them the cam shaft with gear)
  • Vacuum pump (I had that)
  • New Radiator (Supplied by them)
  • Coolant temp sensor (Supplied by them)
  • Oil & filter change
  • PNP switch gearbox (I had that)
  • Injectors changed by me i had the set but put back in originals when they didn't fix the issue (I had those)
  • Injector copper washers & O rings & new spill line washers (Supplied by them)
  • Timing chain Tensioner & guides (I had those)
Total inc the labour and many hours trying to diagnose the issues which mainly turned out to be wiring faults inc the above supplied parts by them was a total of 700euros! Which i am very pleased with considering the new Radiator was supplied too and that cost 200+vat & also they never charged me for the bench test of the Injection pump when they done it and they gave it back to me with new copper washers and gave it a good cleaning down with all dust caps fitted.

So i have been driving the Navara sinse...man ohh man these are a lovely vehicle, excellent power and very economical on the diesel!! I really love the Navara too to drive. My Patrol has a lot to measure up to now when i get it back LOL...

I had a good chat today with the mechanic working on my Patrol and he said i was extremely lucky no valve damage was done they have the engine checked out 100percent and are more than happy with how it's running. Great news!!

Not much more was said about the Root cause here only it was the Coolant temp sensor,i still find it very strange that never threw up a code!
I will have it back tomorrow and will let you all know how it's driving! What a drama this has been:ROFLMAO:
I did say at the start though the wiring on this thing was a mess and i was going to have my work cut out with it!! I think it was worth all the hassle though because it's still working out a very cheap Patrol having done the pump change myself and with the way everything worked out. These are super rare here and it's a damn nice one!

Dan

Reactions: rgren2

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,164 Posts
Looking forward to the next write up.

Reactions: dan ahern

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
So i got the Patrol back and thank god it's running perfect...like new! I am so lucky really that no valve damage was done.Really nothing to report bad about the way it's driving...when i picked it up i thought it was driving sluggish but it was cold so it was hard to tell.I test drove it for a 7 mile trip with the boss man and once it started to warm up i had a big grin LOL it is driving fantastic and it's nice to have that power again that i love about the Patrol. Like i previously said this model drives far nicer than the older one, the engine sounds differnt and for sure is far more responsive to drive IMO..it must be that higher flowing MAF too i think is a contributor to the better powerband. Another thing too is this has a DMF and i am never again going back to a solid flywheel...i remember my 2004 model drove this Smooth too many years ago and i wondered how it changed so much to drive later on but i forgot it was because i swapped out that flywheel at the time to a solid one...never again would i go solid,i have been driving Patrols now for over 15years and this is something i have realised that they just drive so much more like a tractor with a SMF. Anyway we all have our own opinions and this is just mine.

So after a good chat with the mechanic he told me the whole story and nothing new to me was that the wiring was a complete mess and some had to be re-wired... the total bill now came to 850euros up from 700 because i got them to service it while they had it and be done with it, oil and filters etc & coolant/fluids...the Radiator is brand new and a very reputable brand Nissens, it's not a genuine Nissan Rad obviously but like i say from another company simply because a genuine Nissan one can't be got here anymore and these are the only company that offer these for Patrols at the moment here and are supposedly a far better flowing Rad anyway so they say because the genuine Nissan ones are very dated now anyway and years old compared to these.

So the main culprit here was the Coolant temp sensor and that now i can believe because the Patrol logged an overheating code and thought it was at 200degrees once cold :p Apparently two wires in the loom were snagged somehow and were touching off one another!! So the signals going back were bonkers. They got the plugs glowing again off the key and my heat button works again!! Thank god because we are in the middle of winter here and i want those things working for ease of use. They replaced the Coolant temp sensor first he told me but they were baffled that it didn't fix the problem so it took many many hours later to find the gremlin infested wiring loom!!

The timing problem we now understand too...i made one fatal error been a Noob too changing injector pumps...and looking back i didn't do this when i fitted the Pump to my other patrol i just sold (Grey one) and here i can try to explain why and it is all making sense now!! When i swapped pumps after fitted it to this Black 07 Patrol once all completed i turned the engine by hand BIG MISTAKE with no oil in the tensioner it would have very easily slipped out of timing a tooth or two...BE VERY WARY of this anyone going to undertake a pump change yourselves...learn from my mistake!! Ok this might not always happen and you could be lucky but in this case it sure did happen and a lot of mechanics will tell you NEVER rotate and engine by hand with no oil pressure to the tensioner.It's just bad practice!
From memory when i fitted the pump to Grey Patrol i was getting to know my job better and didn't bother turning the engine by hand once i was done i just cranked with the starter and away she went and never missed a beat..i am in touch with the new owner and he said it's flying and he loves it.!! So there you have it....it's all starting to make sense now!

The guides wouldn't have caused it even with a dodgey thread...yes it's possible but i doubt it. These lads are great to deal with and i am delighted it ended this well for me. It could have been so much worse.
They were very confident from the start that no engine damage had been done...much more so than i was because i thought a valve may have been bent but i was just so lucky.

And when chatting to the mechanic i asked him too how did the Camshaft gear break and he said simply the bolt snapped when he was trying to set the timing as he was trying to remove it with engine not running obviously because this makes sense now too because if something like that snapped with a running engine it would mean very bad things! So rather than trying to remove the thread and save time he simply asked me first if i had a spare and i had so that worked out well too.It's the camshaft to the left (Exhaust side) not intake cam. The bolt that snapped was just there on the large gear.They are hardly ever removed if ever.Forgot to ask him why he wanted to remove it actually i think maybe he thought the gear teeth looked worn or something,i'm really not sure.

See my video driving home here cruising away at the speed limit 120KMH on the motorway!! It sure felt nice to have it back ;) and she is running sweet... plenty of power and revs build nice when pushed! I had it pushed harder and the full potential is there so all is sweet! :)

Ohh and by the way the only thing i didn't miss is this Patrols thirst...it's heavy on the diesel but i must try to test it properly now in the coming days. It is no heavier than my other Patrol, the best MPG i got so far and this was driving it hard on the way home etc was 280KMH for 50euros of diesel which is fairly poor... the test was fairly accurate because i filled to the neck and when i had my 280K's up i refilled it and it took 50e to top it up!Then again i find it heavy now compared to the Navara and that is because the Nav is just a miser on diesel!!

Ohh and the mechanics ran numerous tests too for smoke, no oil burning, nothing bad to report at all which is fantastic...even driving it with him i floored it on many occasions and couldn't see any blue smoke or anything that would indicate any internal damage!

So to sum up this experience has thought me even more about Patrols, and how nasty wiring issues can get! I am happy and proud of what i personally achieved though been just able to get it running first day and to be able to to the pump swap i am just happy about that and now i know there was nothing i could have done about the wiring blunders before i got the Patrol...so hopefully now i will have many miles of reliable driving, i have it earned now LOL!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu
158 Posts
I bet you are once again happy. It’s good when everything works out with simple explanations. Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thanks a lot....and many happy returns!! Yes it sure is a lot of stress gone. This could have went very pear shaped very fast!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Cheers Skeg,YES it sure is good to have it back. Christmas day is just over here (yesterday) and it's nice to have some time off too,a little holliday was no harm and badly needed.

Just looking back on it and i just want to say that buying used vehicles is a risky thing and i knew what i was taking on and the risks involved.Yes it's rare to have lots of wiring issues but the problems i think start when people stop caring about a vehicle once they start to 'give up' on them. The Patrols are just a good bet in any case i think though because they are just such a robust machine that the chances of anything mechanical been wrong is low at least with the later models so most of them are a good gamble used.
I think i was lucky because it still worked out a great bargain cost wise..but i was unlucky then in the sense that i had put in a lot of work and after all the trouble it still ended up a non runner pretty much,that was sort of rare and hard luck too... but i spose it could have been a lot worse.
For someone not having a pump to hand like i had could have been in for a big repair bill though..inc all the spares i had i saved myself a lot of money.

I have been driving it all over the Christmas here now and it's driving fantastic now and thank god no more of that 'Dead pedal' thing which is the most annoying thing to drive with.

Like i said though i never seen wiring this ugly, above the IP on the main loom wires had been spliced and rejoined,not sure what they were at there at all!! Most of the connectors were all very wet and dirty,i used contact cleaner on all of them but wasn't still happy so in the end i'm glad the mechanics who worked on it for me sorted out all this and tidied up all the wiring As this too saved me a lot of work and time.

In any case i have no regrets about it because good Patrols are getting very hard to get now even here.

Just want to say a Happy Christmas to all here on the forum and a happy new year!
Dan

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
Said i would give a little update now after putting up a lot of miles over the Christmas in this 07 Patrol. Well something funny happened the steering overnight litterly. Before it's annual LGV test i checked all the patrol out and had to tighten up the king pin bearings as one had stupid amounts of play. Well long story short my steering was nice and tight but now it's after picking up a lot of slop and it's hard to hold a center line with it. So i must check those kingpins again maybe the bearings themselves really need to be changed out now because i just packed the old ones with grease but they looked good. I think it may be the Panhard bushes on the front axle. Everything else looks good,so that is the next item to check.The steering damper is good because i am getting no wobbles etc.
I have seen worn King pin bearings to add a hell of a lot of slop to the steering but the last owner said those were all done recently! I will have to see what is causing this free play.

Everything else works as it should, the stabi and diff lock all work fine but when changing out of 4WD back to the 2WD on the fly on a gravel road it starts to dig in and seems to not want to disingage unless i stop and reverse for a few meters,YES this is normal to have to do it once you come out of the low range but not from the 4High range back to 2wd.It shoudn't need reverse to disingage. I think it might be one of the locking hubs on the front axle,i have a few of those spare so i might try swapping them to see if it fixes the issue.

I done another MPG test and this time i managed 80miles for 20euros of diesel which is very impressive and the driving wasn't so easy either. Again just topping up a full tank after driving 80miles from full...it's the only accurate test i know.I'm happy with that MPG though...it's about the same as my other Patrol.

After driving it sometime i have come to the conclusion that the power is pretty much the same as the older 04 model i had only it seems to come in a little differnt and the higher RPM drivability is much more improved. I do know the gear ratio was changed on this later model and it runs on 17" wheels compared to the older models 16"....can anyone else confirm the final drive ratio was changed on the later models?
I think i remember reading this somewhere.
Like i was previously saying the MAF is differnt too so i guess that makes a big differnce in the powerband, it's not so much the engines overall BHP because i think they are the same on this engine but as i say those changes seem to make it far more lively and seems to pull harder up in the higher RPM range....(KEEP in mind too this is a bone stock machine) Also it has the DMF which just is always going to be smoother all round and quiter.

If it's one thing i really love about this Patrol is the engine sound, it sounds way quiter in the cabin, they seemed to have worked on the sound deadening more on this model and that's a good thing.

The brakes i need to improve though,the discs are good and the pads are new but they are not hectic. Yes they work fine and have enough stopping power but i have seen Patrols with far better responce once the brake pedal is touched, it seems to be an achillies heal for some Patrols to have poor brakes, maybe it could be that load sensing valve on the rear may have something to do with it cause they can just go bad and cause all sorts of imbalances.

So far it's very powerful, quite and feels more refined than the older version as i say it's not so much the power but the way it puts it down is really differnt. The newer style MAF on these definately effects how it drives and puts out the power....i think Nissan were trying to sort out a lot of drivability issues on the Patrol before they finally changed to CRD of the same year. To me after driving Patrols now for 15years the stock DI models can suffer a little inconsistancy with the power delivery and a little lag sometimes that i have personally felt on all models i have drove in the DI range, i have always managed to maintain them enough to keep the driveability on point but i really do believe Nissan were not entirely happy with the Diesel delivery on the DI engine hence implimenting the CRD to the engine.As we all know they come with there own share of issues too But was the CRD changeover the answer!? Maybe fuel delivery wasn't the issue to start with, but Nissan seemed to try everything to make this engine more consistant..as we all know the DI had a lot of boosting issues that got better too and more improved as the model progressed. I know too a lot of other changes were made with the CRD like the fuel pump etc but some i have talked to still say the DI drives as good as the CRD and has less of a thirst.

Some of the DI engines can drive better than others i find and to keep (Talking about a standard one) to keep them driving nice i always find it priority to keep the Intercooler good with no leaks and all boost hose clamps tight and keeping the fuel lines nice and tight with no air leaks helps the DI run very consistant.Any boost leaks can mean big power losses on the DI as most of you know.

Right now this one is driving very nice with no lag, nothing bad to say only i'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Well it seems i got lucky again today when i had my missus sitting in the Patrol rocking the steering wheel as i was laying under it and to my surprise the bolt securing the drag link arm to the pitman arm was loose and just finger tight!! This slop only happened a few days ago so i new something was a miss,i just didn't get a chance to check over the few days of Christmas but it sure was getting worse and worse..i just never seen them to come loose but i have read and heard it can happen too! I checked all the front end today and the drag link both ends for some reason were the only ones loose. So i took it for a spin and a nice tight steering again with zero slop! 😀 Win!

It really is something that should be done when ever you buy a used vehicle is to check every nut and bolt!! I knew those king pins were tight as i had them well packed with grease!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to log in to this Forum with my PC!? Strange there is a large watermark of this Patrol logo staying on the main screen and can't access any of the forum or log in. It's fine from my phone though. !? 🤔 Sorry now but I didn't know where else to ask this. 😉

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to log in to this Forum with my PC!? Strange there is a large watermark of this Patrol logo staying on the main screen and can't access any of the forum or log in. It's fine from my phone though. !? Sorry now but I didn't know where else to ask this. View attachment 515269
I've created a post in the community help section mate.
[/URL]

121 - 140 of 172 Posts