Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still having trouble with egts going too high when towing up long hills with factory exhaust. Hit 670c last week. What brand exhaust 3" would you recommend, I don't want to spend a fortune but neither do I want something I have to replace in a few years...

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
This question has been asked so many times for every vehicle, the answers you will get will be from people who recommend what they have purchased, not to many people try different exhausts to get a direct comparison.

The best one for you is the one that you can afford that has a high flow cat, the old adage about the poor man pays twice is quite apt, for quality gear you pay a little more no matter where you buy it.

I'm sure you will get a lot of response. I have a Beaudesert, it's 4-5 years old and still in great condition.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
417 Posts
I have a redback and I am happy with it. DEA are meant to be good at a discount price.

·
Registered
nissan
350 Posts
My 3 inch exhaust didnt really do much for my egts, egts come down faster maybe 50% faster. The real improvement was intercooler and bigger intercooler scoop. At the same speed with the 3 mods, up a willunga hill at 80 kph in 3rd in my crd 3.3t their is aprox 100 degrees difference. If i floor it up the same hill it will still rise up to 700 degrees

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have added, are most going for 2.75" if no NADS (Still under warranty)?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
I should have added, are most going for 2.75" if no NADS (Still under warranty)?
In general CRD's like 3" more than DI's do, depending on what you want out of it there maybe some extra torque in the smaller one though, horses for courses.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Confused about next step?

2012 crd wagon. 33", bullbar, roofrack, snorkel. Intercooler underslung fan installed. Chipit chip, dominator 3.Middle muffler removed. Since installing chip my egts have dropped, though will still hit 650c no load up if pedal down up long hill, though drops back probably 70-100c if take out of od.

Towing my unladen camper (750kg) camper up Pendtlands hill out of Bacchus Marsh last week with od off saw temps hit 670. We have an upcoming trip to NT and I can't see how I can do it towing all loaded up with such high egts.

What do I do? Do I install a larger exhaust over stock( heard that it leans out the air fuel ratio a little as it can breathe easier), wind the chip back (keeping in mind that egts were higher without the chip) or is there something else I can do whilst not voiding my warranty?

Or do I just drive it and see if it blows up?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks GeeYou. Main reason for wanting to change is to lower egts under load and increase torque at hwy speeds (2200rpm)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Thanks GeeYou. Main reason for wanting to change is to lower egts under load and increase torque at hwy speeds (2200rpm)
Well my personal view is that the 2 3/4" would suit you well re torque.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but an exhaust system does not make much, if any, difference to EGT, this is done by increasing boost, bigger/improved intercooler, EGR block (although the text books will tell you differently about EGR block, on mine it made around 25c less), in that order, yes a bigger intercooler scoop will make a difference but my old DI still has the std scoop and I rarely see anything above 450C, the colder the air going in the cooler it is coming out. My CCIC has very good efficiency, when I first fitted it years ago I tested and found that on a 38c day I had 48c at the IC exit. personally I think a good fan under a good IC will make more difference at lower speeds than a scoop, one reason I have not taken that pathway yet.

If you want to go the next step you can fit water injection that fires under load and makes another improvement.

Just don't expect too much from just fitting a better exhaust.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Well my personal view is that the 2 3/4" would suit you well re torque.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but an exhaust system does not make much, if any, difference to EGT, this is done by increasing boost, bigger/improved intercooler, EGR block (although the text books will tell you differently about EGR block, on mine it made around 25c less), in that order, yes a bigger intercooler scoop will make a difference but my old DI still has the std scoop and I rarely see anything above 450C, the colder the air going in the cooler it is coming out. My CCIC has very good efficiency, when I first fitted it years ago I tested and found that on a 38c day I had 48c at the IC exit. personally I think a good fan under a good IC will make more difference at lower speeds than a scoop, one reason I have not taken that pathway yet.

If you want to go the next step you can fit water injection that fires under load and makes another improvement.

Just don't expect too much from just fitting a better exhaust.

My 2 cents worth.

Are Beaudesert the only brand to make the 2 3/4" exhaust?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From my research of the major manufacturers they are, however have not checked them all.

In regards to egts, I thought getting rid of backpressure would have made it easier for turbo to spool therefore getting more air in cylinder therefore leaning out mixture, result, lower egts. Thats the way DP chip explained it on Simon Christies?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
From my research of the major manufacturers they are, however have not checked them all.

In regards to egts, I thought getting rid of backpressure would have made it easier for turbo to spool therefore getting more air in cylinder therefore leaning out mixture, result, lower egts. Thats the way DP chip explained it on Simon Christies?
If only it were that simple, but not quite, just leaning the AFR can reduce Hp and Torque. Then you have to take into account the increased MAFv due to more air and the ECU adjusting fuel to suit.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Completely normal EGTs for a CRD - they run a lot hotter than a DI.

A full exhaust with high-flow cat will help immensely with overall efficiency.

As for voiding your warranty, technically you did that when you put a Chip It on. Personally I'd be removing the chip and wiring prior to services - if the dealer sees it they may not say anything - they want your continued business after all - but you can bet it will be noted on the service record. The presence of a chip changes nothing as far as scheduled servicing goes. However, in the event of a serious powertrain warranty claim it could be an issue for you.

Reactions: ZipNip
1 - 20 of 41 Posts