Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been asked by Verticalscope to join and participate in a new closed forum they have just started which is about 'Forums' their future and how to improve them. Designers, engineers and staff will all contribute ideas on making forums more attractive, it is planned to also be a test bed for new ideas and a place where we can voice our opinions and make suggestions among other forum Administrators, apparently it is envisaged there will also be people from Forums not yet under this software. Not sure if its a compliment or not but something about 'outspoken people' was mentioned.........

An introductory post was asked for which I did yesterday and then went through some of the existing information posted by their staff, some names I know some I'm yet to converse with. The Forum has only just commenced, it would appear myself and an admin from a US Ford Forum are the first to enter the domain. I think this is more a long term endevour, but I can assure you I will not be backward in coming forward when the time comes.

Thought I would let you guys know, doors are opening. As said I'm sure this will be a long term outlook, when the time comes your ideas will be important.
Ross

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,173 Posts
I dare say that you won’t be hiding your light under a bushel. 😉

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dare say that you won’t be hiding your light under a bushel. 😉
Absolutely mate, I'm only joining get the best outcome for us.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK time for an update, but first a comment, I'm sure many of you have noticed an increasing positive change in forum development, they are finally listening to the issues we have had, of course you cannot please everyone sadly but if we get to the majority and see some of the members who left return, then we are doing OK. A long term member visited me recently and he made a comment that the forum layout is as good now as it ever was, to which I agree, I conveyed this to FF saying, from that, I think we are on the right track.

The reasons for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo are complicated, suffice to say our 'lifespan' would have been considerably shorter under vB, we all recognise the fact Forums overall were dying in the face of things like Fakebook, it is in the best interest of Verticalscope (VS) to make them last as long as possible considering they own hundreds if not thousands, we had a conversation on this and it made complete sense with all the facts laid out, they did not take the need for change lightly but recognise it was not done in a manner becoming a smooth transition. Some of the functions I was not happy with (like AI approvals) have a strong purpose and for that we need to live with them and keep honing them.

This Forums Forum (FF) has been a real eye opener, it is great to chat openly and without reservations to developers, modadmins, VS management and other forum administrators about ways forward, the FF has become a test bed for things we see (there is a lot happening in the backend that no one sees but is critical to performance), we will see changes then comment on them and they will roll out during the following week. Remember this is a gathering of like minded people but there will also be differing ideas so sometimes we may need to make sacrifices, but, in certain cases it may be possible to turn some functions off, this is a matter of negotiation, overall we have so far had a high agreement record :).

Something that has been raised many times before FF was commissioned is Premium Membership rites and Local Administrator backend access, these have been under deep discussion, the latter privately, for several weeks and things are looking good, as development proceeds I'll add more.
Cheers, glad you stuck around the 'Ghost Town'
Ross

·
Registered
nissan
6,074 Posts
I agree that forums will die as far as chatter is concerned but disagree that there will be no place for them in the future. Anyone that has tried to search for info to solve a problem with their car on FB will know that it is useless for this purpose. Most of the traffic that moves through this site is people with a Patrol/Maverick looking for info to help fix it or assist with setup. This format will continue to shine in this area. There will be far fewer total posts, particularly in GD, and those of us that come here regularly will come here less often but the info that brings the bulk of visitors to the site will remain.

The biggest threat that I see to the long term future of this forum is the lack of new Patrols being sold.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that forums will die as far as chatter is concerned but disagree that there will be no place for them in the future. Anyone that has tried to search for info to solve a problem with their car on FB will know that it is useless for this purpose. Most of the traffic that moves through this site is people with a Patrol/Maverick looking for info to help fix it or assist with setup. This format will continue to shine in this area. There will be far fewer total posts, particularly in GD, and those of us that come here regularly will come here less often but the info that brings the bulk of visitors to the site will remain.

The biggest threat that I see to the long term future of this forum is the lack of new Patrols being sold.
I didn't say there would be no place in the future, just indicating that life could be very difficult for some forums, others will survive no worries, ie Quilting Board> As indicated VS being a massive forum owner, didn't take this risk for nothing. It goes without saying our history is what keeps us moving along, I've said this on FF, any question asked on Google about a Patrol will 99% of the time direct the 'questioner' to us, this is how this forum got me and is still getting others today.

Absolutely this forum is a one track forum that relies on people who own one make of vehicle that really has a very limited future in AU looking at sales numbers, but we are trying to make it last as long as possible, we rely on new members buying a second hand Patrol, older members sell their Patrol and move on quite often, we have seen and monitored this for many years. We still get a lot of interest from OS re Google. There are forums out there that will survive no worries because they are dedicated to things that remain a constant. You may have noticed we tried to expand our forum years ago to interest Y62 owners with limited success because they appear to want Fakebook generally and also later I made up the Navara Section to attract new members but that failed miserably because similarly the dual cab guys seem to prefer Fakebook instant gratification even if it is often dodgy.

I have often wondered whether the Navara section should be expanded to include Pathfinders???? It's horses for courses and we will do the best we can to keep ours in the mix.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updates released today and functional now:

• NEW Member profile rollover (roll over my avatar, or if on mobile, click it)
  • [BUG] animated GIFs not playing
  • major CSS changes to remove some render-blocking resources
  • added the FAQ to the top right ellipse

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone notice any changes? Avatar pane is improved and hopefully the FAQ will help people out.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,173 Posts
I haven’t noticed anything, must be getting old.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I haven’t noticed anything, must be getting old.
Hmmmmmmm! I'll bet very few noticed, that's the way it goes.

Some good signs for a Thursday afternoon.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Some good improvements recently but there is still rubbish scam ads coming up like this.

View attachment 514438
No, unfortunately they are not scam adds, if they were scams I would see them, they are just adds, I don't see any of those on here but on the forums forum I did for a while because I'm an ordinary member, they have since been removed, it is something we have discussed but it may be something we need to live with to keep our forum, we have pointed out there is plenty of real estate on the page, lets see where it goes later, there are still a lot of requests in but the priority list is the main game until early January, lets see what happens later. One question, is the advertiser avatar smaller than a members?
Edit: One of the guys on the forum is an admin for a forum that has just ticked over 1.3mio members, holy moly, I told him we just ticked over 63k lol, so he would have a bit of leverage one would think, so far he and I seem to agree on most elements under discussion so far.

·
Registered
nissan
6,074 Posts
No, unfortunately they are not scam adds, if they were scams I would see them, they are just adds,
I don't understand what you mean by "they are not scam ads". The ad I gave a copy of is an absolute scam. Neither Mike Baird or Waleed Aly said any of the things that the link in that ad says they said. Baird is not promoting a bitcoin app and the whole thing is a scam. I only included an image of the ad rather than a link because I don't want anyone getting caught. Do a google search on "Mike Baird bitcoin scam."

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't understand what you mean by "they are not scam ads". The ad I gave a copy of is an absolute scam. Neither Mike Baird or Waleed Aly said any of the things that the link in that ad says they said. Baird is not promoting a bitcoin app and the whole thing is a scam. I only included an image of the ad rather than a link because I don't want anyone getting caught. Do a google search on "Mike Baird bitcoin scam."
As said I don't see these 'adds' and don't know whether they got through the spam filters, if they are adds they got in legitimately somehow, if they are spam they sneaked through somehow, this is what I'm trying to differentiate here, so I need to rely on you guys, I will PM you my email, send me all the info including link. I have deleted quite a few spam members and have not seen that one anywhere, I asked if the avatar for that one was smaller than a normal members avatar, let me know that to start with.

Edit, just did a search for that person as a member, does not exist so urgently need your input to chase up further.

·
Registered
nissan
6,074 Posts
I can't find an example of that ad now to copy a link from but it looked like a normal paid for ad. It had all the normal signs of an ad such as a slightly smaller avatar and a link in red bold with the WWW symbol beside it with a small grey Ad notation at the bottom left. I'll put up an example of a normal ad so you know what I mean. If I see anything dodgy in future I'll message or email all the detail to you.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will follow this up with what we have so far but definitely PM me if this type of thing comes up again, I don't understand how a 'scam' add gets through so I will forward info so far to the appropriate VS managers of XF. Just to reiterate Jto anyone reading, advertisements will appear between posts but not every post, this is something we may need to live with to a certain extent, they are easily distinguished by a smaller avatar and the letters ad below plus a small grey icon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts