Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Crew.

I have only just returned triumphant, by that i mean i bought a GU.

As you can see she is a 4.5 TI

I won't bore you with the details but i had a GQ ute 12-15 years ago and i've been in and out of this forum for years.

Hopefully this will be a log of my ultimate success in creating a reliable and registered adventure car for the family.

more to come.

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
There is a fair list of items required to get a roadworthy (VIC) let alone a wish list.

I'll start with describing my first two failures.

Failure the first.

Steering damper.

Old damper eye type came off ok, however the ****ty (Repco) replacement i purchased was a very very tight fit in the tapped housing.... long story short i stripped the threads while forcing the fittings in. i really should know better, i should heated or removed some material but i didn't. so with a good dose of the ****s i butchered the new base plate dick thing off with the angle grinder.....

Problem the second.

While under the car i noticed some fresh black paint and some rather ****ty looking welds on the chassis, i'd previously dismissed the fresh black paint as the seller trying to tart her up a little.

the image below shows the paint and what i was starting to think was a patch installed after a front end bingle, this image doesn't show the shyte welds but they are truly aweful.

So for the next 2 hours i was convinced i'd bought a dodgy repair job, and it wasn't going to pass road worthy, and i was going to have to find a chassis and swap this cab/running gear onto it.... Yes i'd had a few beers by now.

an hour of frantic searching google and forum images yielded this nice video on youtube. i have now convinced myself that what i have is semi normal, but i't did take a few years off my life.

:)

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • New front rotors and pads
  • New starter

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,458 Posts
Factory welding always looks it it was done by some Dodgy Brother's outfit on Patrols. :unsure: 😬

Foo

Reactions: GQWORKNPLAY

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,386 Posts
Factory welding always looks it it was done by some Dodgy Brother's outfit on Patrols. :unsure: 😬

Foo
The contact top holder on the MIG stripped out the other day. Welder was going hot, cold running perfect one minute then spattering and not feeding the next.

Still, better than what you would find on many vehicle chassis.

·
Registered
nissan
506 Posts
When I did my ZD30 to TD42 conversions on my GU's after I had welded the mounts in properly I turned the gas off and made a couple factory looking hits to the top of the weld. In that way my welds had the spatter and terrible look that most of the factory welds also had. The chassis welds on Patrols were all done at the at 4.59pm on a Friday.....

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plugs and leads done.

Pulled the new ARB single compressor out of the challenger and mounted it under the drivers seat, i had it under the seat in my old GQ so i was prepared for the noise, but i might make a ply cover one day to quiet it down, but probably not.

Ordering the Titan draws with wings for the rear, i made some drawers for my Challenger and i don't fancy doing it again.

Still need to find a place to mount the little GME TX3100, (stolen from the challenger)

Reactions: Marko_SJ and Foo

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,561 Posts
Small thread drift...

Don't fret about the welding. There's actually reasons why they look like crap. They do the MIG (technically "MAG" in this case) welds using 100% carbon dioxide for the shielding gas. They do this because it is cheaper, faster and, when done using robotics especially, much more tolerant of cold lap welding defects caused by variable fit-up.

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear sway bar links and brake pads done as per the roadworthy knock list, had to trim some thread off the extended links to get close to the right away bar angle, I left plenty in case I go the 3" coils in the future.

Reactions: Foo and Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Extended brake lines in as per road worthy, a little awkward but not too bad, hopefully I didn't damage any of the flared ends of the lines.

Nolathane sway Bushes in, couldnt source rubber in time.

Radius arms out, might try heating the arm up and vise pressing the bushes out, failing that a mate has a press

:)

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roadworthy complete and successful!

Titan draws installed, very happy with a fit. they could have provided the bolts needed to fit the the body, but for the price they seem exceptional value.

Still trying to figure out the auto transmission, i'm not very experienced with autos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts