Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

just bought myself an 03 GU series 3 4.2 st wagon and was wondering if people can throw up some tips, tricks and any other relevant info on this particular truck. This is my first 4by although im not new to 4wd'n and im pretty mechanically minded. I cant wait to take this thing off road

Cheers

Wes

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lift about 2" for touring or more for other. Tyre's can not go places with good traction all terrain to start with. Front protection ( bar work). Light, radio uhf recovery gear. The list is endless.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi GUblue, it already has 2inch lift, arb bullbar and a UHF radio

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
and disregard ANYTHING bennogu28 has to say!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep 3inch exhuast was on the list but will throw a tune on as well. What are people using for duel battery systems, anyones to steer away from. Also where is the cheapest place to get a second battery tray.

Benno, Id appreciate any valid comments you have to say about patrols in general but if you cant then do me and everyone else a favor and dont post at all.

GoGOGU, I have certainly read a few posts from Bennogu28 and got that picture pretty quick. I also noticed that your in Ballarat, In a past life i used to live in alfreton

·
Registered
110 Posts
ARB battery tray the best and price is mid range. Look at redarc or leading brands I am using the projector 150amp now seams ok had 2 100amp ones die. TJM and ARB good to. But get one that you can link back to start if main die. Do you have a snorkel. If not get one. ASAP.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
Wow thats a sweeping question.

Tips/Tricks:
3" from dump pipe back, manual boost controller, tweak fuel pump and get the timing advanced, get it dyno tuned.
If you tow heavy sheit watch the rear chassis coil supports.
Always go 2" shock coverage MORE than what specs say on the rear.
Shim the rear LSD (GU LSD is an awesome piece of kit for a stocker).
If you want lockers, fork out for one on the front. (See above).
Change oils regularly 5k pref .. 10k a must along with oil filters, 20k for main fuel filter and air (depending on driving conditions), don't jip out on quality oils.
Flush ya cooling system and keep it ship shape from day dot.
Watch ya main cooling fan if in doubt and ya handy pull it apart and remanufacture/relube.

Running gear: shafts, diffs, trans, tranny, uni's ... nada ... just look after it with sevices ie oil n lube .. its pretty much indestructable for the average joe.

I could go on ... but I won't .. this is enough to start with .....

:D

Welcome to GU's

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, thats helped a great deal. has anyone done a HID upgrade, Got a mate i go 4byin with thats done them on his GQ and they made a huge difference (not sure what they are)

the most i will be towing will be a single axle trailer with a full weight of probably no more then a couple of hundred kilo

GUBlue, I had a look on ebay and the cheapest i could find them for was like 180, is that the going price, it seemed to be quite steep to me.

yes it has a factory snorkle

what engine oils do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
hid is jet-6's business .. he is a mod here. PM him

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
I'm in Delacombe, where are you now?

·
Registered
nissan
202 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
I'm with craggitt on the dual battery system. The ABR was excellent value for money and easy to install

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
oil wise i swear by mobil delvac MX 15/40 (not the MX ESP). I use this in all our cars, 4.2 turbo gq, 3 x 3.0litre zd30s (2patrols & 1 navara) and find it the best, the motor is quieter in the cab then penrite. my uncle who drives trucks in the US says all the truckies over there use it in the summer & snow, and swear by it.

Definitely get a 3" dump pipe with pyro port fitted, and full 3" exhaust. Will cost you around $800 give or take but will be by far the best mod you'll do. This will resolve that turbo lag down low, and allows the car to spool up quicker, and gives it a nice note ;)

Get it tuned after the exhaust! you should be able to easily get 100-130rwkws! This will make it a good tourer, with plenty of power, aswell as an offroad machine ;)

Good luck and post up a piccy !

John

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys, I have a redarc 100amp dual battery system coming and im looking at getting a HID setup from jet-6.

Next on the cards is a 3inch full exhuast, tune, sound system and a roof rack mounted shade. Pics coming

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
I had a 3" exhaust put on and thought the difference wasn't too noticable. It wasn't till I got the turbo modified and fuel pump tuned and dyno'd that I really felt a difference. This was well worth while and highly recommended. With not much change from 3 grand for the whole lot it's not cheap but now the truck is quick with power to burn.
I haven't had time to check fuel economy changes but sure it will be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts