Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently discovering i had blown a head gasket, and upon further inspection, having to shell out big $$$ for a new bare head (hairline cracks between valves), i was more than exited when it was finished today and i got to take it for a spin.

Due to lack of time, (silly season) i got a mechanic to do the work for me.
My excitment soon turned to sorrow when i discovered it had bugger all power.

I figured the MAF may be stuffed as these symptoms are the same as when my last MAF shat itself, bought a newy today only to find it made no change.
turbo is boosting (slowly), as seen on boost guage
DP Chip appears to be working
new filters were fitted throughout and the injectors were numbered and reinstalled from where they were removed.
No air in fuel line

What could the problem be? Engine had double the power before being dismantled.
Is it possible the brand new MAF out of the box is stuffed aswell?

·
Registered
757 Posts
What type of engine do you have in your Patrol?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had vac hoses squashed under the intercooler when nissan mechs did some work a while back. No boost as i drove out of driveway!

Leroy

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
take it back to the bloke that put it together to inspect what he has done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry all, it is a 3 ltr as presumed.
I do have a dawes valve fitted, but that seems to be fine and doing its job.
i thought about the vacume hoses and checked them all but to no avail.
The engine seems to be boosting fine by boost guage.
DP chip is also working.
I took it back to the bloke who did the work and told him to belt it up his coight as this is not right and to his credit he did spend the whole day as well as 3 x other "Mechanics" trying to resolve the problem.
The engine diagnostic machine relays that all is well and working fine.
Myself, i believe that it is the Maf sensor as the car drives the same with it unplugged as it does with it in.
I need to get a hold of a Maf i definatly know is working and put it in to see if it makes a change.
I have not yet tried to test the voltage in the MAF as it is brand new and i know if it is stuffed i will have a **** fight on my hands getting Nissan to swap for a good one.

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Rawlo
Is it reving cleanly but just slowly (eg) is it reving right out but getting no were in a hurry ?
if so i would check the pnp switch if its testing al ok.
have a look at the injectors its not un common for the injectors to be fine when you strip it but stuffed when you reassemble.
when the injectors go its a similar feeling to not getting any boost
hope this helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ralphn
That is exactly what it hapening it revs clean and to the redline, but real slow.
I have trouble reaching 100Kph on a flat piece of road.
Maybe a silly question but what is the PNP switch? and where is it located?

Also with the injectors, if they were not working right wouldnt that make a rough idle or a miss?
Your help is greatly appreciated
Rawlo

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Rawlo
The pnp switch is the park neutral position switch its located on the gear box a simple way of testing it is while you are driving grab the gear stick while you are in 3rd gear and pull it across on a angel towards 5th if this has any bearing on the performance than just replace it (the switch)

All the injectors i have replaced have not idled rough,missed or even blown excessive smoke the engine even starts well still.
They just simply have no grunt behind the revs (doughy)
I would defiantly check /get the pnp switch checked or even replaced for good measure.
And if you still have power problems try a known good set of injectors as for they are not serviceable and i think they are about $350 each genuine
hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts