Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I have just finished my HPD intercooler and catch can install, just mounted the thermo switch on a small piece of aluminium TIG welded onto the front of the intercooler. No switches needed to turn the fan on, it will automaticly start when the intercooler heats up to 50 deg.

Quality of the product was impressive, they are very well made. But I was more impressed with the instruction book that came with both the intercooler and catch can. The books included photos of the install step by step with simple guides on how to do it that even a muppet like me could understand.

So far my temps are lower and I believe my economy is better (10.8 lt/100k) but ive only done a short run 200 klm so time will tell.

Thanks to all who posted on the forum re installs as I read all the info before making the decision.

regards rastus

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
127 Posts
Is the fan underneath the Intercooler? I thought there wasn't enough room for it... Great design. I had one on mine but took it off because it didn't work and I read from other people on this forum, that it made little difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m4tho...the fan only works when your driving slowly i.e. 4x4 driving or in trafic when you not going fast enough to get air flow through the intercooler, hence the temp switch, once it starts to heat up the fan cuts in to draw more air.

also its an aftermarket kit with everything supplied, the fan comes mounted under the cooler.

Hope this makes sence

cheers rastus

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Gday rastus.
Any idea what the intake and outlet pipe id sizes are?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Muzz, sorry mate no idea. I'm sure if you ring HPD in Adelaide they will help you out, all I know the intercooler is almost twice the size of the old one in surface area but the clamps off the old one fit.

hopr this helps

rastus

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Thanks mate. Ill make some pbone calls.
Cheers brother

·
Registered
Nissan
275 Posts
Hey rastus,wasnt sure if i should go CCI or HPD but you have sealed the deal i think. Just wondering... was the small piece of aluminium TIG welded onto the front of the intercooler done by HPD or yourself.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
id say rastus tigged it on. I may be wrong but i dont see that option from standard

·
Registered
Nissan
275 Posts
yeah i didnt think so, havent seen it on any of thier product shots

Reactions: motomuzz

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hornet,

I had it TIG welded on. I made the piece myself out of scrap, then took it to a metal fabricator who tapped it 1/8 BSW then he did the welding.. I then mounted the temp switch and locktight'd it in place using stainless bolts. One thing I have noticed is when the sun is on the bonnet the fan will start, as I have hot wired it, not through the ignition.

cheers rastus

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also e-mailed HPD to ask if they could weld a bracket on "in production" as it would be better than having it done after market [they show how to wire a thermo switch in their intercooler instruction manual]. It would be a lot easier, and for the price $1295 I'm sure they could fit it in their budget, its such a small issue.

So far no reply, this doesn't mean I am not happy with the product, on the contrary, I think its good value for money, excellent workmanship and cheaper than CC and I'm not bagging them either, just never seen one in the flesh. I'm sure they are as good.

cheers rastus

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
940 Posts
Output of crankcase gases from valve cover to be done as in the photo, the Chinese cooler pipes are made very uncomfortable

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Output of crankcase gases from valve cover to be done as in the photo, the Chinese cooler pipes are made very uncomfortable
Китайские Копии HPD являютсянемного сложнее монтировать . Мой приятель имеет китайскую копию ина выходе попадает в крышку двигателя. HPD здесь в унции партнера , эти Ebay китайские копии , как известно, проблемы при монтаже .

TOP Mount Intercooler KIT FOR Nissan Patrol 3 0TDI ZD30 GU30DI T | eBay

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
940 Posts
I agree, we have so many key problems was the installation of Chinese coolers, all curves)))
so I started to make a cooler in Russia, it is more convenient and easier to install and costs only $ 400

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
One thing I have noticed is when the sun is on the bonnet the fan will start, as I have hot wired it, not through the ignition.

cheers rastus
Rastus, just a thought, if you had your sensor on the inlet side of the intercooler then there wold be slightly higher incoming temps and you could run a higher cut-in temperature switch that might not stat up by itself on a hot day. Or relay and ignition switch.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Rastus, just a thought, if you had your sensor on the inlet side of the intercooler then there wold be slightly higher incoming temps and you could run a higher cut-in temperature switch that might not stat up by itself on a hot day. Or relay and ignition switch.
Looks good rastus, just one question, my 50c switch is on the back before the air is cooled, just wondering your reasons for the post cooling application.

It is quite a simple thing to pick up the power wire from the windscreen wiper motor to trigger a relay for the fan, that way it does not have power until the ignition is switched to start, see my build thread if you need detail (not accessory), I would recommend triggering it mate, could save a lot of pain one day.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
My TD42T HPD Intercooler sensor is on the outlet side. Its the way it came

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
My TD42T HPD Intercooler sensor is on the outlet side. Its the way it came
Yeah mine was there with the thermo switch when i got mine(TD42T HPD Intercooler)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Yeah mine was there with the thermo switch when i got mine(TD42T HPD Intercooler)
Cool, obviously HPD have their reasons. Mine is at the back so that incoming air above 50c switches the fan rather than have it at 50c on the "cool side" operating the fan, maybe twisted logic but I think the ones that came out of CC fitted with them are the same, they started fitting them as std not long after I bought mine.

·
Registered
nissanpatrol
5 Posts
Tpd

A timely post for me.

I have also recently installed the HPD intercooler in my TD30Di and the economy has gone out the door. (Although I agree its a quality looking unit)

From an average of 10.6 L/100 to 13.3~!

I also installed some Nitto Trail Grapplers at the same time which are bigger and heavier than the road tyres I replaced but I didnt think it would make such a big difference.

Does anyone know if I need to get the turbo tuned to the new intercooler or something, or can I account for the loss with the larger tyres?

Its a fairly large difference. From a range of 800Km on the main and 250-300 on the reserve to 650 odd on the main and 200-250 on the reserve.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts