Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have a GQ 2.8L diesel which has recently had its fuel pump refurbished, and now seems to have a few problems:

Hell of alot of smoke (white) when i start in the mornings
Decrease in power
Has become less economical, gone from 600/tank with leaking fuel pump to about 450/tank
When I park on a hill with my nose pointed up, the diesel drains from the lines and i have to prime it to get it started

I've been told this could be an injectors problem but any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks heaps

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
Hi Cashpit (love the name)
White smoke on startup is most likely unburnt diesel - check your glow circuit for loose/bad connections. Also check that the glow rails are getting voltage from the glow controller box.

Excess fuel usage - most likely the rebuilt pump has been calibrated for new/rebuilt injectors. Could be your injectors not correctly atomising the fuel and need rebuilding/replacing.

Having to prime the fuel system after parking nose-up - leak in fuel lines somewhere between tank and injection pump.

This is assuming your pump was correctly rebuilt and does not have problems of its own.

I would replace all fuel hoses between tank and injection pump, replace all clamps, reprime the fuel system and see how it goes then.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
even a bad fuel filter or filter seal. can cause air leaks and for it to drain back over night. also the filter head has been known to leak and cause the same dramas. another thing to look at anyway.
another fix is just put a lift pump near the fuel tank and it will soon show any leaks or what have you

·
Registered
nissan patrol MK
14 Posts
Hey cashpit, just dropped my 2.8 in for a fuel pump refurb this morning so your name made me laugh after spending the day trying to work out how I'm gonna afford this bloody repair!

I've been playing around with fuelling issues for a few weeks now and it does sound like you've got a split hose but whatever you do, if you can't remember when your injectors were last replaced or fixed they should have been done at the same time as the pump was repaired. My truck is in at Berrima Diesel who have a good rep and have given me some great advice. When I talk to them I'll ask about your issue and post to let you know.

Cheers, Lachie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts