Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new MAF, replaced the old one, now it keeps going into limp mode, I disconnected the battery for 2 hours when I changed it, there where no problems before, I only really wanted a spare, unless the new MAF is faulty I don't now why its happening.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
The new MAF will be registering ever so slightly higher voltage across the range and this may be just enough at certain points to put it into limp

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any thing I can do about it? I am going to cross the simmo in a few weeks time and I cant drive it like that.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Open your needle valve a little more :), are you sure you got the correct MAF? there are a few around on ebay that will fit but not give the correct voltage feedback. Geordie's point is spot on, like anything there is a tolerance in specs so you could have one on the upper end.

I have a spare and there is a slight difference between them as well.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,105 Posts
I had the same issue with the last maf that I bought. Genuine through Nizzbits. Very slighty higher voltage readings, but enough to cause issues.
It would push limp so much easier than my old one that failed (reading high) and I could not tune the limp right out of it. Very painful when towing.
I ended up running my very original one for a while which was a little better.

If you still have your old one and it was working ok put it back in and keep the new one as a backup.

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a genuine MAF, part no 22680AD21A, Would it be worth swapping it for another one? I don't want to keep it because if I had to use it say at the bottom of a sand dune or steep hill climb I doubt I would make it up.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
It is a genuine MAF, part no 22680AD21A, Would it be worth swapping it for another one? I don't want to keep it because if I had to use it say at the bottom of a sand dune or steep hill climb I doubt I would make it up.
As said, it's only a needle valve adjustment away, you are just as likely to get the same when you buy another, luck of the draw.

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seller is going to send me another MAF to try, will see if it makes a difference or not.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
what would be interesting is a comparison between the MAF's even if that was only at idle. You can test you MAF using just a multimetre, by tapping into the red wire and earthing.

Not sure if it's in this particular thread but what I have done in the past before I got my ECUTalk was unplug the MAF and ascertain which connection has the red wire (changes position with later models) using a a short strand of copper wire push it into the red wire female side then bend it around as you carefully insert the MAF plug so you don't dislodge the wire, then connect the multimetre to that wire and a good earth on the engine, start it up and get a reading.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/how-test-all-mafs-home-41774/

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good idea geeyoutoo, I don't have to send this one back yet so when I get the other one I will test all three.
Seller did tell me he had same complaint a few times last week, thinks could be a bad batch.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I tinkered about 10 minutes ago after reading this. I didn't have ecu talk when I bought the ol girl. But I changed the maf genuine within the first week along with servicing everything so I knew where I was up to.I kept the original Maf in the back pockets all this time.

Anyways I confirm ( in my case too) my original idles at 2.12-3 and my " newer" maf 40 thou old idles 2.16-8 at op temps.difference as little it may be there is a difference.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
And that can be the difference which most won't pick as an issue, if you have your vehicle modded it can put you in that position quite easily, I know with mine that when I tune limp out (ie, as my recent airbox mods have grown so has my MAFv) I only have to go 0.01v below the trigger to beat it.

0.01v, even though it sounds very small it can be the hidden killer.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
I can see that now for sure. I'm leaving the original in for a week to see what the go is. It was changed "just cos I could" so I'll have a play with that. It looks like its within specs and I have certain v at rpm logged down with the newer one. I will compare v of the 2. For the sake of a tinker. I've never really had issues except once a while ago @16 psi just a bee wee wee under 3 grand and I soiled myself :)

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I didn't report back, yes the replacement was better, still reading slightly higher than the original but no limp problems, I must get around to asking geeyoutoo if he will build me a jvm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts