Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Took my car for a service and was advised they ran out of SD cards for my car. When I gave them a confused look, the Service Advisor said, "Oh there are map updates but we dont have any SD cards left." I was like, err you can update the current SD card in 5 seconds dude. But not Nissan, you need a whole new card lol.

Anyways, go get them boys n girls.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,015 Posts
They do know that SD cards aren't like vinyl records, right? They can be re-written at will...
Tried it. Doesn't work. Not with my IT skills anyway. Every card has a unique serial number. The original business model had customers paying for map updates which is why you can't just make a copy of the card.

My current daily (not a Nissan) popped up with a message on the satnav the other day saying "Your maps have been updated". Gets done remotely. No user input required.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,015 Posts
@AndrieK
Yep, sounds like a money making excersize. I sincerely hope that this pisses off the wrong tech savvy Y62 owner, and they make a hack that circumvents this and publishes it for all to use.
AFAIK map updates for all Nissans are free for the first 3 (or maybe 5) years in AUS. They made it free because people were getting pissed off with having to pay for map updates, sometimes as early as at the 1,000km first service.

Nissan still has to pay the 3rd party map developers to create the maps, but they just now include it in the purchase price of the vehicle, instead of charging the customer when they request an update.

In my experience, Nissan's on-board maps are some of the worst out there. Better off using Google maps or Waze.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know all of the above can be done easily, but would land you in hot water with the legal people. Ill let you know how I go. I am keen to buying that plug in board that was for sale a while back, seems now all you can find is the "Tesla 12.3 inch" screen which looks **** imho. You also lose some functions. I just want the Play Store up so I can get Waze.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, youa re legally entitled to make a backup of any software you own outright. That includes your Nissan satnav, but remember the source code is not yours, you have the right to operate it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
AFAIK map updates for all Nissans are free for the first 3 (or maybe 5) years in AUS. They made it free because people were getting pissed off with having to pay for map updates, sometimes as early as at the 1,000km first service.

Nissan still has to pay the 3rd party map developers to create the maps, but they just now include it in the purchase price of the vehicle, instead of charging the customer when they request an update.

In my experience, Nissan's on-board maps are some of the worst out there. Better off using Google maps or Waze.
Nissan I am sure has only had 1 map update since the release of the 62 in Aus. They say they do this and that. But its basically the same poor set that they have been using for 8yrs.

Reactions: seeker

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,015 Posts
Nissan I am sure has only had 1 map update since the release of the 62 in Aus. They say they do this and that. But its basically the same poor set that they have been using for 8yrs.
Yeah I can't comment on that... Apart from, if that is the case, I won't be entirely surprised. :unsure:

I do suspect that part of the problem is the age of the infotainment systems used in AUS spec Y62's. When did Y62 get a system update? Was it Series 4, I think...? That system was already ancient when it was introduced in Y62 (R52 Pathfinder got probably 3 or 4 years before it was rolled out in Y62) and I suspect Nissan AUS might be struggling to get updates implemented for an archaic system.

What I don't understand is why they decided not to fit the new GCC spec dash in S5. I'd assume that comes with the latest on offer and includes robot and fruit compatibility.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I can't comment on that... Apart from, if that is the case, I won't be entirely surprised. :unsure:

I do suspect that part of the problem is the age of the infotainment systems used in AUS spec Y62's. When did Y62 get a system update? Was it Series 4, I think...? That system was already ancient when it was introduced in Y62 (R52 Pathfinder got probably 3 or 4 years before it was rolled out in Y62) and I suspect Nissan AUS might be struggling to get updates implemented for an archaic system.

What I don't understand is why they decided not to fit the new GCC spec dash in S5. I'd assume that comes with the latest on offer and includes robot and fruit compatibility.
A common misconception I am happy to provide clarity on. The map data is 100% independent of the OS of the device. All map data for these cars are .csv or .xml non-verbose. In Englees:), it means a map update is a piece of p1ss for an idiot to do, but they wont spring for the cost of the updates. So when Nissan start with their BS of "We need to check compatibility, and workings of other systems, HORSERADISH" The system reads a set of csv data from a little series of file or from a big one.Sometimes they "wrap" the data into a .dat file, but its the same thing. Ill quickly rip into mine and show you guys.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,015 Posts
A common misconception I am happy to provide clarity on. The map data is 100% independent of the OS of the device. All map data for these cars are .csv or .xml non-verbose. In Englees:), it means a map update is a piece of p1ss for an idiot to do, but they wont spring for the cost of the updates. So when Nissan start with their BS of "We need to check compatibility, and workings of other systems, HORSERADISH" The system reads a set of csv data from a little series of file or from a big one.Sometimes they "wrap" the data into a .dat file, but its the same thing. Ill quickly rip into mine and show you guys.
That's very interesting, but surely there must be some limitations on older systems...? My first (hand-held) GPS couldn't even do route guidance. It used "dumb" maps. After route guidance came turn by turn navigation, 3D view, voice directions, off-ramp and road sign graphics, POI's, live traffic capabilities etc etc. Surely they're not all still using the same data format?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Andriek,

You may be missing an essential differentiator here. All those mentioned are not related to to actual data sets, they relate to logic APPLIED to a data set. Let me explain.

You old GPS could not do route guidance because...it didn't have the CODING LOGIC and PROCESSING POWER to do it QUICK enough. Nothing to do with the underlying data. Its the speed of access, and WHAT you apply to the data that gives you the smarts. I design this stuff for a living. In fact, I just finished a 40million pound GIS design for a UK client. The only thing it cant do is make you brekkie, that was out of scope lol.

Above you have mixed up many different data types - GPS data is static data, it never changes. It gets updated yes, but does not change once written to a database per se. 3D view - just polygon sexy overlays mate, piece of piss. Does not relate directly to csv, its lipstick on a pig in the data world. Road signs, thats logic applied to images, which are pixel based. VERY different to what I am talking about. Live traffic, thats again just data with logic applied. "If M1 traffic is 10000 cars or less per hour south bound, report flow to user as "Normal". If traffic is 10000 cars or less southbound, BUT travelling at less than 50kmh average, report to user as "Heavy Flow" I'm being really simple here but you no doubt get the idea. POI's - merely csv data with meta data to enrich it. (Place X is defined as Food, American, fast food etc)

In terms of updating GPS maps, literally all they do is add more data to the data set. It will still play the same offramp graphic, same audio, same everything. Just this time you will see that new intersection instead of maybe blank map etc. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Seeker you sound like the man I need to see when I win Tatts and buy the rights to the MotionX app. So I can build it up to be awesomer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seeker

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,015 Posts
Hi Andriek,

You may be missing an essential differentiator here. All those mentioned are not related to to actual data sets, they relate to logic APPLIED to a data set. Let me explain.

You old GPS could not do route guidance because...it didn't have the CODING LOGIC and PROCESSING POWER to do it QUICK enough. Nothing to do with the underlying data. Its the speed of access, and WHAT you apply to the data that gives you the smarts. I design this stuff for a living. In fact, I just finished a 40million pound GIS design for a UK client. The only thing it cant do is make you brekkie, that was out of scope lol.

Above you have mixed up many different data types - GPS data is static data, it never changes. It gets updated yes, but does not change once written to a database per se. 3D view - just polygon sexy overlays mate, piece of piss. Does not relate directly to csv, its lipstick on a pig in the data world. Road signs, thats logic applied to images, which are pixel based. VERY different to what I am talking about. Live traffic, thats again just data with logic applied. "If M1 traffic is 10000 cars or less per hour south bound, report flow to user as "Normal". If traffic is 10000 cars or less southbound, BUT travelling at less than 50kmh average, report to user as "Heavy Flow" I'm being really simple here but you no doubt get the idea. POI's - merely csv data with meta data to enrich it. (Place X is defined as Food, American, fast food etc)

In terms of updating GPS maps, literally all they do is add more data to the data set. It will still play the same offramp graphic, same audio, same everything. Just this time you will see that new intersection instead of maybe blank map etc. Make sense?
Thx for the explanation, seeker. Makes sense what you say.

Apart from a little Matlab coding at uni 20 years ago and making a couple of LED's flash with an Arduino, my coding skills suck. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thx for the explanation, seeker. Makes sense what you say.

Apart from a little Matlab coding at uni 20 years ago and making a couple of LED's flash with an Arduino, my coding skills suck. :ROFLMAO:
Lol then you are ahead of me. I use Pi's and get my son to code for me. Hehee. Back to the topic, I get pissed off when car makers insult our intelligence with stupid statements. The real issue is paying the map makers the update cost. All the "smarts" you see today is not data, its logic that drives what you see as "collision avoidance, autonomous braking", you name it. All of that - based on simple data. And if you want great examples of just how badly they can get it wrong, google "Tesla fails" or "Self driving fails" I will go to my grave holding my steering wheel thanks. I am happy for Gen ZZZ or whatever they will be known as to let HAL/SIRI/ALEXA/GIMP drive for them.

Heheehe, me, Im a drivers driver, the feel of the road is the thrill. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts