Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU ute
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all.

I'm new to this forum and slightly new to the 4wding scene, Well I've been in it for a while but not modifying or anything. Anyway to the point.

I am the proud owner of an 02 DX patrol ute, 4.2 turbo. It's ex country energy and has 2 long range fuel tanks, heavy duty rear leaf springs, alloy tray, heavy duty towbar and dual batteries.

I want to put a lift kit under it I was thinking along the lines of maybe 3 or 4 inch with 35" Mickey T claws. Because it's my daily driver and weekend worrior I don't wanna put a super lift kit in it lol.

So any kind of advice on what I can do to my ute and any idea's or tips would be very much appreciated! I have got other mods planned but so far these are the first of many.

Cheers.

Snoozles.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
G'day mate and welcome to the forum,

You need to figure out what else you will do to the car in the way of accessories to determine what weight of spring for your lift kit? is it going to be fully loaded all the time? Does it have a service pack on the back?

Give the Search feature a run mate as your question is one of the MOST asked questions by New people to the forum before you start looking through the likely 1000 threads on the issue.

Mate this forum is FULL of info on all sorts of things to do with your car, happy reading. ;-)

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
And claws are like driving on 50cent coins....

If it's just a mud pig stick with the claws if you want to drive it on the road as well get some Mud terrains

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
^^ agreed, plus that setup with in the wet would be outright scary, noisy and rough and as a daily driver which I couldnt live with, but everyone is different. But I think you would get sick to death of driving that, day in day out. What about some BFG's or Yoko's? - there are some brilliant threads here on tyres.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
ive just been through the tyre debate. have been told by alot of people that Khumo road venture MT's are the way to go, very quiet on road and very good off.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Snoozles,
Firstly welcome,youve come to the right place
Regarding your ute,
The first thing i would look into is whats an illegal/legal modification on your ute
Although some companies will tell "Oh youll be right,buy this"
The responsibility and dramas are yours being the car owner
Not sure exactly where your from but 35" tyres arent legal in most if not all of Australia
Its your money spend how ya wish,but many have bought and fitted stuff deemed illegal and copped fines and demerite points , then had to remove and replace (more cost) down the track

Search on here as said,youll be reading for a long long time
Enjoy

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
im wondering the same Tonka. 33's should be alright i would think (or hope that should be)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Firstly 2inch lift should be heaps.
secondly the leaf rear will be a PITA to do much else with.

as others have said, do you wanna be legal or not
and figure out the main use for your rig.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
TOnka and others ,
Regarding tyre sizes checkout the legal specs in your state (yep theyre all different)
By goin to Main Road/Dept on transport website in your state

IF not do a search on here ,tyre topics are nearly a weekly if not daily thread

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
In QLD 32"s are illegal... i agree with Truckster on this one. Also, if it's a daily driver, i would be going ATs, not even muddies. Muddies just don't have the wet road traction you want, especially for a big vehicle like the patrol.

Myself, i'll be going HT tyres for road use and a good set of MTs for playtime...

Keep it legal dude - or get it complianced.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
here ya go this is depressing. in SA. Tyres must be within 15mm of the overall diameters; and wheel rim must be within 50mm of the diameter listed on the tyre placard. Wheel track myst not be increased bu more than 26mm (and just looking for lift now)
so i guess this means nothing bigger than standard tyres even if you went down to 15's form 16's this does't allow for bigger tyre selection.
but i've heard that they dont really hasstle you for a 2" lift and no bigger than 33's, unless your bein a twit that is.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
but i've heard that they dont really hasstle you for a 2" lift and no bigger than 33's, unless your bein a twit that is.
It's not really the police you have to worry about - thats just a defect and while inconvenient, pretty easy to clear (a few members on here can vouch for that lol). The problem is when you hit something else expensive and your insurance company refuses to cover you.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
if im going to be illegal on 33's then i might as well be illegal on 35's...

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
yea, i kept my standard springs and its easy to get hold of bits and pieces. im insured full comp with a company (not sure if we can name names on hear). in my polocy i am covered, including replacement for my suspension modification. so i've held onto the paperwork they have sent me stating this and i guess that should mean that i am covered. the only things they havent covered are my fridge and roof tent.

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
In QLD 32"s are illegal... i agree with Truckster on this one. Also, if it's a daily driver, i would be going ATs, not even muddies. Muddies just don't have the wet road traction you want, especially for a big vehicle like the patrol.

Myself, i'll be going HT tyres for road use and a good set of MTs for playtime...

Keep it legal dude - or get it complianced.
ats are good kept me out of trouble mud, sand (just), road use adn good milleage so far about 20,000km and still going...although i did hav one go bang cause of a rock puncture... and i do alot of dirt driving and bitumen living up here...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts