Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking at buying a second hand Nissan Patrol, I don't know much about the mechanics of 4wds except that I want to buy one for offroading. Another challenge is that I'm on a budget - around $12k. I have seen a 2001 GU ST 3Lt patrol manual diesel with 305500 on the clock selling for $12k. I know I need to ask the seller some questions, like full service history and any accidents etc, however I am wondering if someone could help me with understanding the following specs/features and cons that are listed for the car, and whether it seems worth it as I have done a bit of research and have found that there is not much power when driving these patrols?
Manual with HD clutch and single mass flywheel, Arb front bar, Twin spare rear wheel carrier, Long range main tank, 4 inch toughdog lift with HD links, adjustable panhards etc Hybrid front arms (road safe), 6x 35’s on 16 inch black steels at 50%, 2 spare about 40 % Boost and egt gauge Snorkel and modified airbox ECU rechipped by ECPT Egr blocked and Dawes/needle valve Catch can Larger intercooler Head, injectors and fuel pump replaced 90km ago, UHF Single hoop roll bar, Lots of small spare parts 3 inch exhaust, MAF voltage modified still installed, ECU talk unit, I will do full service and rear brake pads when sold, rust free, body paint have some scratches and left side sun damage (is normal for a 4x4)
Thanks in advance,
kind regards, Kate

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
Hi all, I am looking at buying a second hand Nissan Patrol, I don't know much about the mechanics of 4wds except that I want to buy one for offroading. Another challenge is that I'm on a budget - around $12k. I have seen a 2001 GU ST 3Lt patrol manual diesel with 305500 on the clock selling for $12k. I know I need to ask the seller some questions, like full service history and any accidents etc, however I am wondering if someone could help me with understanding the following specs/features and cons that are listed for the car, and whether it seems worth it as I have done a bit of research and have found that there is not much power when driving these patrols?
Manual with HD clutch and single mass flywheel, Arb front bar, Twin spare rear wheel carrier, Long range main tank, 4 inch toughdog lift with HD links, adjustable panhards etc Hybrid front arms (road safe), 6x 35’s on 16 inch black steels at 50%, 2 spare about 40 % Boost and egt gauge Snorkel and modified airbox ECU rechipped by ECPT Egr blocked and Dawes/needle valve Catch can Larger intercooler Head, injectors and fuel pump replaced 90km ago, UHF Single hoop roll bar, Lots of small spare parts 3 inch exhaust, MAF voltage modified still installed, ECU talk unit, I will do full service and rear brake pads when sold, rust free, body paint have some scratches and left side sun damage (is normal for a 4x4)
Thanks in advance,
kind regards, Kate
Welcome to the forum and I would suggest you read the Buying a ZD30 thread in buying a nissan patrol, easily accessed through the link in my signature.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,481 Posts
That sounds a decent price for that car with the extras listed, particularly with the current covid tax. I would never buy an older car without getting a compression test done on the engine. Check with your local mobile mechanics and auto club to see what they charge for this.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Thanks in advance,
kind regards, Kate
A 4 inch lift with 35" tyres would've required engineering to be legal. Make sure the vehicle has a VALID mod plate for this, else it'll cost you thousands more to get it registered.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,624 Posts
I would get a pre-purchase inspection done if I were you. Without question.

Patrol prices have gone up in the last year or so, so your dollar does not go as far as it did a while back, which is a shame. This vehicle does sound to have been well used, so it is important in my view to get a professional to report on what items will need attention in the near future. This cost should be factored into your budget. Otherwise you will be up for expenses that may be difficult to pay. I also agree that the vehicle may not be legal as it is now.

And to answer your question about power, the 3 litre engine is matched to a vehicle weighing over 3 tonnes. Other vehicles with similar engines weigh considerably less.

We love Patrols on here, as you would expect. But in your case perhaps a better value option may suit better, such as a Pajero as an example. Your budget may get you a much better vehicle, and they are under-rated as a 4wd.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Kate, welcome to the forum, without an engineers certificate the legal lift height is 2" max. and the legal tyre size is 33" max. ...to get the car car legal could cost you 2 or 3 grand in engineers costs (if you can find one that'll pass it) ....... or you could change tyres and suspension and that'll also cost you a couple of grand at least.....Also cops love 4x4's with big lifts and tyres and you can expect to be defected sooner or later and then you'll have no choice but to change them.......there are plenty of Patrols for sale, keep looking and don't rush in, a good one at a good price will come along....and as mentioned above , get an inspection - a couple of hundred for the inspection could save you thousands down the track.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,809 Posts
I would be saving my coin if I were you and grab yourself a later model crd with less k's..
That way you can slowly build it into what you want and know It's been done correctly..
Take geeyoutoo's advice and read the thread he mentioned and best of luck. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies, I really appreciate it :) Interesting to know that the work done on it is not legal, I really like the look of the high lift and big tyres, but not good if it's illegal! Definitely don't want to bring the cops' attention. I think I will keep looking and get an inspection done when the right one comes along.
Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts