Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New twin motor top hats and freespools manufactured here in Australia

We were given the opportunity to run one of the prototypes at the Patrolapart Winch Challenge in March and it performed flawlessly, and they just released them to the public yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCdJeGnUUM&feature=youtu.be

all the info and pricing on their website
Stealth Winches

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Yeah good stuff Glenn, spread the word I recon it's high time someone started making gear here in Australia insted of buying offshore. I've already got my order in with Matt, can't wait to tackle a few winch walls I have put off in past.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Don't go 60% without 24v Jamie :)

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah good stuff Glenn, spread the word I recon it's high time someone started making gear here in Australia insted of buying offshore. I've already got my order in with Matt, can't wait to tackle a few winch walls I have put off in past.
Yeah exactly, if I had the spare cash I'd be putting one on my car too. After playing with geared twin motors and free spool its really hard going back to standard single motor :lol:

For a heavier car like patrols I'd go 40's Jamie, might not be quite as bad over your side of the country but almost everyone over here that was running 60's have gone back to 40's so it doesn't load up as much on those hard pulls

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
More bling that people just "gotta have" to go with all the other stuff hanging off their 4b that never gets used.

Unless you're winch challenging I don't see the point? Apart from posing.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
The first time I used my hi mount in anger was after I'd already ordered my gigglepin, got it cheap as we ordered two for winch trucks at the same time among other parts, and when using it with single motor I was bloody impressed compared to the old lo mount. However I'd already paid... So you're not going to leave that kind of gear sitting on a shelf!

It's nice to have a spare motor, and when it dragged car and camper through 200m of a Kimberley swamp I can't say I regretted the fitment. Meh... Long since paid for and owes me nothing and it's pretty awesome peace of mind :)

Plus I got three hi mounts off a tow truck driver for $500, one is on car now and sold two for $500 each the next day so I was already ahead haha!

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
$880 for the twin hat, + $400ish for a 2nd new 6hp + another albright solenoid & cables to suit.

ppfftt why not

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
More bling that people just "gotta have" to go with all the other stuff hanging off their 4b that never gets used.

Unless you're winch challenging I don't see the point? Apart from posing.
I think somebody is JEALOUS !!!!!. Shall we put it into perspective, travelling with 2 other vehicles one with triple winch motor flamming fab/ giggle pin top hat and the other twin Bow2 motor giggle pin winch makes my high mount look like a slow mount. The tracks were driving and the pace we set makes it fun, nothing worse these days then waiting for people winching when yes the tracks were driving there is no option but to winch.

Each to there own, would I opt for a mid mount winch, no, no matter how good your front approach angle maybe, sometimes it's just so much less strain on the car to just run out the winch cable and ease my way through with out damage. Even with my shlt front approach with a bit of good wheel placement I have driven or gone further then others with great front approache angle.

So you may not see the point as I don't see the point in mid mount so really it's a personal preference, where you drive and who you drive with may make what modifications you choose to you nessary. As for stuff hanging off my 4B it all gets used and yes winch challenge is something I am aiming for. Next time your over this way Steel I welcome you to come for a drive up the tracks we have here were in heavy rain up to a 100m winch maybe required and I sure as shlt wouldn't want to be hanging off a slow mount.

Stealth offer a great warranty that he knows exactly what your intended use is for and also is committed to be at Victorian winch challenges with spares if should ever the need arise and customer support. To be honest Steel I'm disappointed that your not getting behind an Aussie company and giving them the support even if it's not what you require for you personal vehicle setup.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
I think somebody is JEALOUS !!!!!. Shall we put it into perspective, travelling with 2 other vehicles one with triple winch motor flamming fab/ giggle pin top hat and the other twin Bow2 motor giggle pin winch makes my high mount look like a slow mount. The tracks were driving and the pace we set makes it fun, nothing worse these days then waiting for people winching when yes the tracks were driving there is no option but to winch.

Each to there own, would I opt for a mid mount winch, no, no matter how good your front approach angle maybe, sometimes it's just so much less strain on the car to just run out the winch cable and ease my way through with out damage. Even with my shlt front approach with a bit of good wheel placement I have driven or gone further then others with great front approache angle.

So you may not see the point as I don't see the point in mid mount so really it's a personal preference, where you drive and who you drive with may make what modifications you choose to you nessary. As for stuff hanging off my 4B it all gets used and yes winch challenge is something I am aiming for. Next time your over this way Steel I welcome you to come for a drive up the tracks we have here were in heavy rain up to a 100m winch maybe required and I sure as shlt wouldn't want to be hanging off a slow mount.

Stealth offer a great warranty that he knows exactly what your intended use is for and also is committed to be at Victorian winch challenges with spares if should ever the need arise and customer support. To be honest Steel I'm disappointed that your not getting behind an Aussie company and giving them the support even if it's not what you require for you personal vehicle setup.

First up,, there is only one truck on this whole forum that I'm jealous of (well not jealous, but I like it alot) and it don't have a **** factor winch on the front I'm pretty sure,, unless he's got one now.

Mate if you fair dinkum have a use for such a winch set up then that's great and you're just the kinda person who needs such a set up, but many with similar set ups certainly don't,, I know coz I've wheeled with them and I dare say they don't even need the 35's and Kings either.

If you don't see the point of a mid mounted winch then you must not understand how it works,,, I can winch forward the same as these fellas with the bling winches , but then I can winch backwards with the same winch. Weight distribution is improved, approach angle is increased by a **** load and the winch lives a happy life underneath the truck, almost guaranteed to be working when I need it (I've seen bullbar mounted high mounts fail when they were needed most).
Also the winch rope spools onto the drum perfectly every time,, it all results in a nearly zero maintenance winch.

If they are an Aussie company then I'll support them 100%,,i dont have a problem with that, and if they're competing in a market against foreign made products then I hope they dominate that market.

The main reason I made such a comment was in an attempt to, once again, be the voice of reason. I've made similar comments on many products released on here over the years (Superflex arms and Suspension Stuff shocks come to mind) which have usually been ignored/criticised at the time, only to be revealed as insightful a year or 2 later when people have learned for themselves.

You all can follow the crowd if you want,,, I'll follow my head thankyou very much.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Just to clear a few things up, I can assure you that our product has never been made for, designed for or intended to be for those who want to show off their hardware and not use it

We have designed and built both the freespools and tophats to be easy to use and maintain, be easy to get spare parts from any bearing supplier not just us, and be as strong as we can realistically make them without using exotic materials or parts

Yes they are aimed at people who do weekend drives as much as they are aimed at racers, not everyone wants twin motors or air freespools, but a lot do and cant afford the prices of the other items on the market. We are hoping to make these items more affordable to the enthusiasts who like pushing the boundary's of what they are doing.

Are we trying to make them look good ? Hell yes, no one wants to spend hard earned on something that looks like it was pulled out of the bottom of a scrap bin

As for not needing one unless racing, i don't agree, im sure there are any number of posts on here about otways trips or hard trips where twin motor winches are or would be very handy to have. Also i can tell you twin motors and 25% gears in a loaded truck with a camper in the high country isn't a bad thing either

Sure not everyone needs one, but we are not aiming at everyone, were just trying to make it easier for those who want them to be able to afford them

With that in mind, we are not done yet, we will have a lot more products available in the coming weeks and months, and we haven't forgotten the low mount guys

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Good on ya Big Matt, if your product was around when I got mine, given the price difference I can safely say I would have gone with yours.

I also have an odd view that if a winch fails in a comp, worst case you may get zero points for that stage. You fix it and front up to the next stage.

If you get stuck in a deceptively tame looking bog hole after an unseasonal rain on a rarely used track in the middle of the East Gascoyne and the winch fails or can't get you out of there... You don't just shrug your shoulders and go to the next bit, you could be in very deep chit.

For this reason, in one way of looking at it, the winch's reliability and grunt for purpose, baring in mind a fully loaded tourer with camper trailer weighs a fair bit more than a winch truck, is more important in the tourer than the winch truck. In the winch truck only your pride is at stake, not your arse.

I take my trusty GQ to all sorts of remote places in pursuit of the magic campsite, views, fishing or whatever and the peace of mind my winch gives me is priceless. I make no apologies for what it's worth, and with good maintenance will outlast my next five cars.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Well said matt, I wish you success which I dont think you will need as you have hit a good market

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Thanks for the support guys

Leethal i agree 100% when it comes to winch reliability
We have as good a warranty as anyone i believe, but its far from the first thing mentioned when talking about the pros of our units

We would rather push the fact that we havnt managed to break any of our units, and the requests to our main tester Rohan (HELLGQ) was abuse and break it. So far only warn parts have failed, and a lot of 12mm rope has been broken. We also get good feed back from Rohan and Glenn so if anything needs tweaking or changing we get good clear information to work with.

Warrantys are all good and well, but ive never seen anyone recover them selves with a warranty and its not a position we ever want any of our customer to be in

Dutchman89 the air free spool works well, a lot of it comes down to set up in the bar to reduce binding in the housing bush, but we are working on a solution to that at the moment

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
A PM I sent to Matt.

Matt I only made mention about your customer support and warranty due to the fact no one else will back there product with the confidence you do. To me its really saying something that your willing to do that knowing full well the punishment winch challenge can and does put on the gear.
.......………

Anyway not wanting to do the exact same others have done and turn things into a pissing competion. For me I'm just excited for a product that appeals to me and glad I have held off buying a gigglepin. The cost is not a concern what people get out of there money is there own personal gratification. Bling parts really mean F-all to me as it spends more time covered in shlt. For me its an old product that's been around for a long time but finally someone here in Australia has put there head to it and made a product that I believ will easily rival the other overseas manufactures.

Lethal I agree with what your saying, but if ever anyone out in the bush is dancing off a single line pull at full noise with 3.5t in tow well they deserve to brake there shlt, there is no race. I guess if your looking at buying a twin motor top hat then you know there's a time and a place to use it according.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts