Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

I have a GU 4.2 TD and have 2' lift, skinny tyres as we are heading up north, snorkel and winch.

Just wondering if there is any courses that anyone in this forum recomends in VIC and if there are any specific to Nissan Patrol Owners.

My brother in law did one thorugh prado club - $100 or something to join the club, then another $100 or so to do a two day course... 3-4 hours written then a full day of practical training in your own vehicle.

I think this would be far better to do than paying $500-$600 for a private course..

Anyone know of a nissan club that does anything like this ? I have searched through the calendar and didn't see anything..

Please note, I can drive, but have done track and rally before but think that 4WD is another different skill that I want to learn how to do right from then get go..

I am under no illusions that my car will be damaged along the way at some stage which I am fine with, but obviously want to limit this by learning the right way to go about it..

OR...... Do I just get out in the bush with some experienced 4WDriver's and watch and learn ?

Any help on this topic would be great.

I pick up my 2001 DX 25th Feb, then it goes in for some upgrades on 7th March!

Hangin out to get out there but want to do it properly. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction please ?

Hope to see you all in the bush or come on one of the events once I know what I am doing!

Cheers,

AndyT

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
I've never done a course and I wouldn't mind doing one. I've been 4wdriving for about 7 years. I went out with a club for a day trip and learnt heaps on my first outing. If you go out with experience drivers I think you will learn more (IMO) you come across so many different obsticals which you may not learn in a course. Both have there benefits though.
Good luck

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks troy.. if you send me a PM about it and I find something out about a course that isn't stupidly expensive, I will just message you.

Cheers.
AndyT

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Jump on a trip and watch and learn.
Its not that hard really, pick your lines and just go slow and controlled.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Get in contact with a local club, and explain your situation to them and I would be very surprised if they didn't offer you to join a trip or two ( with out any obligation to join there club) so you can learn , best experience is from getting out there and learning with more experienced drivers etc

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The other advantage with a club trip, is that you are with people that will help get you out if you get stuck.

Where in VIC are you?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I am in Cheltenham Victoria.. Happy to travel anywhere though within a few hours..

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, just rang AAMI and they wreckon my new DX, 2001 with 90,000kms is only worth $16k!

I am going to do the ring around in the next few days for other insurance quotes. If anyone know's a better company that doesn't mind 4WD's, please let me know.

Thanks again for the feed back and I look forward to hearing some more and hooking up sometime soon for a trip.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Also, just rang AAMI and they wreckon my new DX, 2001 with 90,000kms is only worth $16k!

I am going to do the ring around in the next few days for other insurance quotes. If anyone know's a better company that doesn't mind 4WD's, please let me know.

Thanks again for the feed back and I look forward to hearing some more and hooking up sometime soon for a trip.

Join a Club... even if only for a year or two.

You'll learn heaps and make new friends to go wheelin' with and save heaps by gettting access to lotsa second hand bargains and also avoid lemons.

Insurance wise I am with TCIS (Allianz) on a Policy only available to Clubbies and it is bl000dy fantastic. Agreed value, 100% geographic cover, no knockback on gear or performance mods as long as you list them.

The insurance premium savings pays my Club fees each year let alone I can get the Insurance in the first place with the Mods I have.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which 4WD club are you with Evil Twin ? Very keen on that idea...

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, I am assuming it is suitable for all standards of drivers and experience....?

thanks for the reply.. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Which 4WD club are you with Evil Twin ? Very keen on that idea...
Western Patrol Club (as in western Aus) so that scrubs the "few hours" travel :D

I love my Club as we are Patrols Only and have a go at anything. Most clubs are pretty good but don't just jump in. Go to a meeting or an outing and if it suits then great but if it doesn't then try another as each Club will tend to have a leaning towards, fishing, camping, touring, extreme 4WD or whatever.

90% of the Clubs around Aust are affiliated to the National 4WD Association and that is all you need to get access to the TCIS insurance and I believe 4WD Victoria mught have something else as another option but could be wrong.

I'm not into mudbugging etc much, me and the missus just like to get out there and explore. So not saying TCIS is for everyone but a goodly amount of the travel I do is not via named tracks etc. Indeed I like to find a beach and drive it as far as you can or head out bush look for wheel tracks and see where they go so the winner for me is the "no geographic limit"

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Ive been 4wding since i was a kid,brought my own when i was 19.Im no expert i still stuff up from time to time.
Ive never done a course ive learnt from watching others and my own mistake's.
If you want im sure we can organize a day trip out to neerim east area,and show you a few basic's.
Some of the tracks out there can be easy and i think it is a good area to learn.
Just have to wait for the weather to clear up and dry out a bit,it's a bit slippery at the moment (plus my tyres are bald).
Let me know if your keen.
cheers
chester

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your Imput guys. Much appreciated.

Chester, I am keen as.. My Brother in law and I are going to do an overnighter round end of March / first week of April, but am free for a day trip, which won't be a worry getting a leave pass for, most weekend in March except 5,8th March. That's when the work is being done (snorkel . lift and Koni adj all round ... Oh and a winch!) Send me a PM with your details.... Really appreciate your willingness to show me a basics in the bush.
Cheers,
AndyT

·
Registered
731 Posts
Andy, I'm not far from you, in Dingley. I could tag along with you and Chester on a day trip if you want.

Chester, I promise, no "Hammer Time" this time. And I won't try to get Andy to cross to the dark side :)

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Hey Andy,no worries mate,will try and work something out in the next couple of weeks.Might do a recon on my way home from work and see if the river's gone down.It won't be hard going I'll most likely have the wife and kids with me.
Grahame,Not a problem mate,Will be good to catch up again.As for "hammer time" well you never know ;).
Ill pm you both details soon.

cheers
chester

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Grahame and Chester. Much appreciate the willness to show me a few things. I will be all good to go do a day trip over the long weekend if your not already going away. I will not have the UHF installed then, but will have a radio of some sort.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks again.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Victorian Four Wheel Drive Club pretty good club, I know theres driver training coming up there. Plenty of forum members there too.

Nearly any club will offer the 4wd victoria accredited driver training. Look on 4wd Vic site.

And it aint 100 a yr and it aint 100 to join!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Truckster, just emailed the club about the training and had a look at the site and newsletter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts