Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want a new big 4x4, I want live axle suspension.

What is there on the market now the patrol has gone "soft".

I can only think of defender and 70 series LC. Are there many others?

Obviously this is all pipe dream because my GQ will run forever!

·
Registered
757 Posts
from what you read around the traps Nissan are going to continue selling the current shape along side the new model so you will always have a live axle Patrol on the market for the mining industry (and others of course)

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Mercedes Benz G Class has live axel but it's 100k plus and is much the same size as a defender.

Cheers

Justin

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
I truely never thought I would say this but landrover for the win :(

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
How about we all lobby Nissan to keep the current shape longer . We did this years ago when Holden wanted to scrap the V8 and was successful .

Nissan have not fully explored the possibilities of the current Patrol in my view . There should be a two wheel drive variant for soccer mums who want/need a big safe vehicle to cart the mob around in but don't require four wheel drive .

A large back van variant would be ideal for parcel deliveries and emergency services , ambulance , Police Bull Wagons etc .

A dual cab ute variant for Fire departments , mining companies , road patrols etc.

I wonder if Nissan would give me a job ? :ahah:

·
Registered
nissan
40 Posts
I truely never thought I would say this but landrover for the win :(
You have no idea, I just came across from a 7 year stint with a TD5 Defender.

For all it's plusses there are 10 fold negatives. It is an antiquated pile of S**T compared to the 2010 Patrol 3ltr that I now have, you have no idea how good you guys have it.

The current form Defender( The Transit engined one put out by Ford ) is most probably the worst Land Rover ever to leave the production line, so many factory inherent faults that you need every ounce of your 3 year warranty just to get the car build finished properly. And then when you warranty is finished, SELL the bloody thing, or you had better have a bottomless wallet to keep the thing going.:headwall:

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
This would be my option

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree sim

Hey mate, I agree with you mate, We have those landcruisers up at work, and they are a awesome piece of kit. I would like to see a 6 speed box to bring the revs down abit on long drives, mabye tallers diffs would work. Ours are very basic inside. No clock 1 cup holder and still 70 odd grand.
If I sell my TD42 series 3 I will try one. But I need to be really persuaded to sell, they do look awesome done up a bit

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
If the toyota had coils in the rear they would be alot better. Weve got a bunch of them at work too and with all the power that they have, the rear leaves struggle to get that power to the ground when wou start to cross axles up plus they are a chiropracters dream when you drive them with less than half a ton in the back. I here there are mobs doing coil conversions on the LC but when you start with a base price of 70K+ then look for big expensive mods like this you might just be better off spending all that money to keep a landrover from falling apart. I took a new landy for a test drive and was seriously considering one before I bought the patrol. Straight of the showroom floor there is nothing in the market today that will touch the landy off road they are simply awsome performers. But Ciapek is spot on the money about negatives being 10 fold. The demo model I took for a run (which admiteldy was the same vehicle that Overlander magazine tested) had 6000 kays on it and the dealer was quite embaressed when I pointed out just how many things were wrong with it. Some of these probly from being thrashed relentlessly for those 6000ks but there were some "Landrover quirks" that no one should ever be subject to when purchasing a new car.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
You have no idea, I just came across from a 7 year stint with a TD5 Defender.

For all it's plusses there are 10 fold negatives. It is an antiquated pile of S**T compared to the 2010 Patrol 3ltr that I now have, you have no idea how good you guys have it.

The current form Defender( The Transit engined one put out by Ford ) is most probably the worst Land Rover ever to leave the production line, so many factory inherent faults that you need every ounce of your 3 year warranty just to get the car build finished properly. And then when you warranty is finished, SELL the bloody thing, or you had better have a bottomless wallet to keep the thing going.:headwall:
You think they're bad, try range rover (same POS really). Just when you think reliability and build quality couldnt possibly get any worse something else falls off. Absolutely disgraceful. Family had a couple and that was enough to put me off for life regardless of what they ever do.

I really like the 76 cruiser a lot. But $70grand for an engine bolted into something from the 80's.....?? Mmm dont think so.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
So, I want a new big 4x4, I want live axle suspension.

What is there on the market now the patrol has gone "soft".

I can only think of defender and 70 series LC. Are there many others?

Obviously this is all pipe dream because my GQ will run forever!
Yes you do have an option!!

Its the old Patrol, just new. And you can buy it instead if you want an antiquated solid axle for that hardcore 4wding you'll probably never quite get round to doing.

There's also these:

But they're more of a Medium sized vehicle. But then a Pajero is medium sized and has more room inside than a Patrol. So what does it really matter if you're going to chuck a trailer on it anyway? They'll do touring alright but you might have to spend a bit of time on them in preparation.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
I regually drive a 70 series ute for work and they dont call them a Landcrab for nothing absolute horrible bit of gear to handle in the ruts, only thing thay have going is low down torque. In my opinion the current patrol handles much better offroad. look under a patrol then a landcruser.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
Hopefully they'll let us have a new GU patrol with the New 3.0td v6 and auto thats going in the D40 and pathy.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I doubt it. I think the CRD will be the end of the line for the Y61 patrol.

From what you say above the new TD V6 seems to be replacing the YD25 motor. Just an observation, I may be wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
They did it in the D22 nav. Who knows hey. fingers crossed. If they want to keep making Y61's after we go to Euro 5 (2012 i read somewhere dunno if true) they'll have no choice.

·
Registered
nissan
1,174 Posts
Nissan WILL be continuing the GU patrol alongside the new patrol. I was talking to Nissan about it at the motor show.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Having Had a Landrover

Had a 1996 GQ, went to a 2003 Landrover Disco for 5 years, had to get another GQ as well but now in a 2008 GU CRD and D22 ST-R CRD.

As the guy said "You don,t know how good you have it".

Tojo's with the new V8 are fantastic but I bought the 2 x Nissans and still had 10k Change.
One happy. happy Nissan driver.

The new V6 Diesel D40 looks good though.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Here: UAZ Soviet Army jeep. Makes an MK look like a Toomrak [sic] Tractor by comparison. Goes everywhere, except polite society.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts