Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have owned a couple of Patrols over the years but haven't done any serious mods and haven't bought one less than 10 years old.

I have been without a decent 4x4 for a few years but after a wekeend at Landcruiser Park in a Patrol with a 3" lift, front lockers and lots of ARB stickers :) I am keen to get back out there. Timing is great as I have just sold my 2nd car.

I am looking for advice on the best way to go on a new patrol. What mods / extra should I get straight off the bat? Any advice would be appreciated. I am working off a base diesel ST maunual model and have a quote for $48K.

Thanks for your help.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
You'd be amazed at what it will do totally stock - I've been out with member Ricknjo a few times, we bought our 2008s at the same time but mine has mods while his is stock - but he went almost everywhere I did, and the stuff that finally stopped him was tough to get through in mine with lift, muddies and lockers.

Here's what I'd do straight away if the budget is up to it:

- decent recovery kit
- OME 2" lift
- 33" mud terrain tyres (don't forget the spacer for the spare when doing your budget)
- snorkel
- sliders

Right away you will have the extra clearance to get through most tough terrain you will come across, plus some sill protection for when the lift isn't quite enough.

Then look at fitting an onboard compressor so you can adjust your tyres for whatever terrain you are on, a UHF, and either a headlight upgrade (wiring and globes, the standard lights are shockers) or driving lights if you have a bar to put them on. On that, if you get it from Nissan with a bar make sure you get the steel winch bar rather than the alloy shopping bar :)

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Squalo, that is a great start for me. Do you have any thoughts on the price? The best I have found is $48K brand new. How does that compare to what you have seen?

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Hello All,

First post - long time reader. I just signed on the doted line! My new patrol arrives in less than 10 days!

I did a bit of shopping around before I dove in (as we all do). The best quote I could get was 48K for ST with metallic paint and of course a manual. I did have a line on a auto (the better half was leaning that way - she isn't so confident in the rough stuff with a manual. She likes point and shoot) and it was 49K but it was dealer demo (it only had about 5000k's on it).

I am in a smallish regional centre and they admitted at the dealership that they couldn't match the deal I had been offered from the dealer in the big smoke. However they said they could get it close and chuck in a few of my must haves FOC. Yes, I know FOC isn't always FOC and they wouldn't give it away unless they were making money out of it somewhere. I wasn't born yesterday.

When all was said and done, it came out to around 55K. Not bad. I guess I could have got better if I wanted to drive and take a punt that the dealers would like my trades (d22 and Hyundai poc).

So what I got:
2010 3L ST Patrol
Metallic paint
Darkest legal Tint
Electronic rust protector
Paint protection
Fabric protection (I've got 2 kids under 5 - there are a lot of spills)
Steel BullBar
9500lbs winch
snorkel
tow bar
country style roof rack

The first thing I do when I get it is drive down to the local ARB shop and put in a air compressor (90% of my off road driving is soft sand - Fraser, Rainbow Beach, Inskip, Kinkuna) an awning and I am going to get a set of maxtracks (some low class character decided to borrow my set off the top of my Navara while I was in the showers at Freshwater and that said individual never returned them!) I think I will be getting a UHF shortly thereafter. I am going for ICOM unit as I've heard that in the new year the 40 channels are going to 80 channels and the ICOM units are the only ones that can be upgraded.

In all honesty I don't own the Patrol, I only rent it from the Bank! But it is going to be my one and only family vehicle and we want it set up for long distance touring with some modest 4x4 driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts