Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's time to replace my tired old radiator for a new item of some sort. And yes I know it's a tired old TB42 but she gets me around nicely.

Just wanted to get some feedback as to what others are doing with their gq's.
Will a new brass/copper one suit as it has for the last 20 odd years. Or is there a real benefit to
Runing an Aluminium one?

Any feedback would be great guys

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Dont stress about the tb42, its a great donk. When I had mine I went 3 core copper. My rational was if something happens in the bush I can repair it with minimum fuss. Plus I was a bit concerned with corrosion and longevity issues with the alloy/alum types.

My newer GQ RD2.8 also now has a 3 core copper.:p

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,030 Posts
Or is there a real benefit to
Runing an Aluminium one?
An aluminium one will cool better for a given size but they have a bunch of disadvantages that swayed me away from them when I was looking for a new radiator. The biggest advantage of a copper/brass radiator is the ability to repair it on the side of the road with ordinary soft solder and cigarette lighter heat gun like the one below.

I once had a fan blade let go on an old Falcon which cut a nice groove in the radiator an sliced through two of the tubes. The car belonged to my dad who was a pensioner and not exactly flush with cash but still reluctant to accept charity from his own kids so while he was pondering the price of a new radiator I decided to have a crack at soldering it with the tools we had at hand since the radiator had a copper core and it worked perfectly. A week later my mum's Hyundai Excell started leaking water from where the hose joined onto the radiator tank. I decided it needed new hoses but as an immediate measure I tightened up the hose clamp which was a huge mistake. The stress I put on the hose entry to the tank caused the fragile plastic of the aged tank to fracture ruining the tank. The next day as dad and I took the radiator to the local radiator shop to have it repaired or replaced, dad had great enjoyment slamming Asian made cars saying what heaps of crap they were and that you wouldn't have that trouble with an Australian made car because they had decent radiators that you could repair yourself. I didn't have the heart to tell him that current model Australian cars had radiators made exactly the same way as the Hyundai.

When my GU's aluminium radiator started to leak I took the opportunity to replace it with a heavy duty copper/brass unit and have never regretted it.

Cheers,

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts