Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it looks like I'll probably be keeping the Patrol for a while longer, I'd like to soften up the ride, as it currently rides like a bullock dray. I originally put in OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks with ARB 50mm lift springs, but it sat all over the place with around 25mm variation between corners. Took those springs out & put in Dobinsons C45-130 (50mm lift) in the front & C45-105T (45mm/450kg for coil cab) in the rear, which gave me a 50mm lift all round, loaded with my normal camping gear. After around 12-18 months & adding the rear bar they sagged badly on the back RH corner. Went back to Dobinsons at Camden & they tried a few different rear springs, ending up with C45-309T (75mm/100-250kg) These gave me 50mm lift with gear, but without passengers. I reckon loaded for a trip I would have been around 100-150kg over GVM.
I've taken some weight out, so now with 2 passengers & fuel It's at around 2900kg, which is 60kg under GVM & the rear sits a bit over 50mm lifted. Trouble is now the springs are too harsh, with it really thumping over bumps in the road.
Just looking for recommendations, based on others experience, on what springs I could get to retain the height but soften up the ride.
For reference I've got alloy bull bar & second battery up front, steel sliders & rear bar with single wheel carrier. Inside I've got one drawer, fridge & drop slide.

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
12,287 Posts
As it looks like I'll probably be keeping the Patrol for a while longer, I'd like to soften up the ride, as it currently rides like a bullock dray. I originally put in OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks with ARB 50mm lift springs, but it sat all over the place with around 25mm variation between corners. Took those springs out & put in Dobinsons C45-130 (50mm lift) in the front & C45-105T (45mm/450kg for coil cab) in the rear, which gave me a 50mm lift all round, loaded with my normal camping gear. After around 12-18 months & adding the rear bar they sagged badly on the back RH corner. Went back to Dobinsons at Camden & they tried a few different rear springs, ending up with C45-309T (75mm/100-250kg) These gave me 50mm lift with gear, but without passengers. I reckon loaded for a trip I would have been around 100-150kg over GVM.
I've taken some weight out, so now with 2 passengers & fuel It's at around 2900kg, which is 60kg under GVM & the rear sits a bit over 50mm lifted. Trouble is now the springs are too harsh, with it really thumping over bumps in the road.
Just looking for recommendations, based on others experience, on what springs I could get to retain the height but soften up the ride.
For reference I've got alloy bull bar & second battery up front, steel sliders & rear bar with single wheel carrier. Inside I've got one drawer, fridge & drop slide.
This thread will be like opening a can of worms
But my 2 cents worth is.
I used Kings springs with TJM shocks.
I used to work with someone who’s friend owns Kings springs. They asked what did I carry in the back , up front Steel Bull bar winch dual batteries etc.
the springs they sent me worked fine although I always thought the front was a bit stiff, back was good though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,078 Posts
Ive got Dobinson 350kg 3in" in the rear of mine, sits and works well but saggs with the camper trailer obviously. My vehicle rides really comfortably and I put that down to the remote res superior shocks. The difference they made to the overall driving of the car is huge imo. Will always run a remote shock in any future fwd.
I weighed my vehicle full of fuel & water (50lt) mostly packed and came in at 3300, without passengers. She's a heavy girl.. but rides really well.
Cheers.

Reactions: 62woollybugger

·
Registered
2005 4.2td single cab telstra canopy
7 Posts
Interesting post as my DX with canopy is about 3t . Recently mechanic said rear starting to sag. About how long should my leaf suspension last, or is more detail required for an answer. It's at least 80k old and carries more weight when we travel.ute now at 240k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts