Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday fella's.
So my wagon is bloody heavy 3.5T on recent Cape York trip & we are going to do some long touring trips like Simpson Desert next year and looking into rims, tires and wear rates.

Does anyone have experience with or believe that on heavy rigs the 15 inch tires wear faster. I seem to scrabble 40 -50k from 15 x 8 x 35's my current set probably more like 30K they aint doing well... Bighorns i had to buy in Katherine NT no choices.:headwall:
I never get puntures or break beads so no issues there.

Wondering if i should look into Alloys & go up to 16 or 17's and who makes ally rims in -22 or there abouts.... Not that i need them but i saw some Walker Evans last week & dam they look fine.
I understand 16-17 inch rims will handle better & have a higher load rating but they are also alot higher in price thats why i run 15's..

Cheers for any & all input... Towie

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Your asking too much , 3.5T , mud tyres and tough terrain.

If the compound was harder they would wear slower, but but tyre performance and handling decreases , so then they would have crap traction on wet roads.

If you switched to ATs you should ge a bit more life out of them.

Don't have clue if bigger rims will help your situation.

Do your tyres run hot?

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sim how are ya? still down Sunny Coast i guess --- im back up Nth now.

Yeh i am not trying to ask more of the tires just researching if the wear rate changes or compounds on bigger rim sizes.
I am happy to change when required or early i dont run them way down to the wear mark i change early.

So therefore is there a good reason to go up to 17 inch and pay the extra which again dont bother me if handling etc is significantly better otherwise i will stay on a 15 inch rims but maybe go to Trail Gear Creeper locks or Walkers in a 15 with -19 or -25 even...

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Yes all good mate, moved to Brisbane South.

With bigger rims you get higher load rating and stronger sidewalls.

I am running both 35x12.5 16s and 35x12.5 17s, but not on daily so can't comment of wear rates.
Hopefully some else can.

I think bigger a 35 on a 17 inch rim would run cooler than 35 on 15 inch rim on long distances, but don't know if tyre heat affect wear rates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts