Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was amazed while watching the news last night.
A woman locked her child in the car and unfortunatley the baby died from the heat.
The defence team are presenting a new syndrome to get her off the charges called
"forgot my baby syndrome" ....anyone heard of this?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
A woman locked her child in the car and unfortunatley the baby died from the heat.
The defence team are presenting a new syndrome to get her off the charges called
What do you call a bus load of lawyers driving off a cliff????????????????
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
A good start!

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I've heard of the syndrome.

Without commenting on the case in question, a woman local to me walked into the petrol station in her bra and knickers completely unaware that she wasn't dressed. When someone commented on it she ran out embarrassed, and the story goes that she was up with the baby all night and simply forgot to put the rest of her clothes on.

No, she wasn't drunk or on drugs.

What I'm saying, is that having a baby around does very strange things to the human brain!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I've heard of the syndrome.

Without commenting on the case in question, a woman local to me walked into the petrol station in her bra and knickers completely unaware that she wasn't dressed. When someone commented on it she ran out embarrassed, and the story goes that she was up with the baby all night and simply forgot to put the rest of her clothes on.

No, she wasn't drunk or on drugs.

What I'm saying, is that having a baby around does very strange things to the human brain!
And one of those things is based on our prehistoric evolution of taking extra care when we have children, it's not something new that we have to contend with, there will always be people who "fail" at being parents on occasions, but to use it as an excuse following a DEATH, personally I don't think so :(. When you make a mistake, and this obviously was, wear it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
in her defence I do have to pipe in even as a dad.
I have pulled up at home gone to walk inside when my wide will suddenly remind me my 2 gear old daughter was still asleep in her seat in the back.
my kids are pretty full on ans very very rarely quiet.
bit of sleep deprivation and slight distraction, if it wasnt for my wife I dunno how long it could of taken me to remember her.
and as many know who have met me I love my kids and only want best for them, it can happen to the best of us.

though this is not the case all the time, some parents just dont give a shiit

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
And one of those things is based on our prehistoric evolution of taking extra care when we have children, it's not something new that we have to contend with, there will always be people who "fail" at being parents on occasions, but to use it as an excuse following a DEATH, personally I don't think so :(. When you make a mistake, and this obviously was, wear it.
You will see that I specifically did not comment on the case in question nor did I say that it was an excuse for the death of the child.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
This is a very difficult one and I don't think there's any right or wrong answer for many of these cases.

I read about this exact situation a few years ago, in an article covering a number of the same sort of cases (people locking a car up and forgetting about a baby) and I was shattered after reading a few of the examples... profoundly affected. So much so that to this day I still have a habit of eyeballing the backseat of parked vehicles anytime I am wandering through a carpark. I look for dogs, and car seats, if I see a car seat I have a careful look at it.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I've had my moments. My situation was like richo17's. I got home from picking the kids up from kindy and my phone rang. It was a mate of mine and we got talking about his project car and the best way to go about getting it running. Meanwhile I looked in the fridge and noticed we had nothing for dinner so I though I'll get out of my work clothes and go to the shops. Jump in the car then realize the kids are inside, so get them out and bundle them into the car. Go to the shops and do the shopping then at the checkout the girls asks if I've had a bad day. I thought nothing of it and just said "no, why do you ask". She looked me up and down and said well your fashion style is a bit off.
I looked at myself then realized. I'd put on a pair of boardies and thongs bu forgot to take off my work shirt, ID tag and tie. Looked like a complete idiot, so grabbed my stuff and the kids and proceeded to feel very embarrassed as I left.
It can happen to us all, a combination of sleepless nights, sick kids, working 6 days a week, screaming kids and all the other stuff you have to do I'm amazed I haven't done anything worse.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
When I worked I went in on weekends sometimes not realising it was a non work day. I wasn't the only one who did it. Always felt like a proper goose! :confused:

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,250 Posts

I saw that Richo,

Next will be,
Forgot that,
Rape,
Murder,
Theft, and beatings are against the law syndrome.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
You will see that I specifically did not comment on the case in question nor did I say that it was an excuse for the death of the child.
The subject is what the OP puts up, it all overlaps, I understand what you said but I related it to the topic, we have all had lapses of one kind or another but they don't generally last that long, parental responsibility kicks in and puts us on the right track.

Anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but if I were to leave a child in a locked car for long enough to kill the child and I then looked for a way out, I would feel like I had diminished the value of that child's life.

I had an accident many years ago off road in my old 4x4 where I sustained life threatening injuries and was in a coma and intensive care for some time, my mate was in the truck with me and luckily did not get a scratch, he got out and walked for miles to get help, it took me years to get over the guilt that I could have killed my mate, his life was very valuable to me.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I think it's all to easy to do. All to easy to blame and all to easy to pass judgement.

Mate of mine pulled into work, locked up and then his wife rang to ask how his son was being dropped off at daycare. He said "what? Where? .... oh SCHITT!!!!" Late day for him. He was distracted, went on auto pilot and his son fell asleep.

I'm no pshych, but I don't think it is or ever could be a 'syndrome' because it'd have to be displayed, repeated, organically uncorrectable behaviour to be so.

I think a parents guilt is sentence enough though. This woman is a victim too.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It is far too easy to pass judgement. I think you'd need to go through month of poor sleep, possibly financial struggle, possibly difficult family circumstances, possibly little support and possibly post natal depression. Making one really bad decision under those circumstances could be quite easy. Sadly hers was a decision that resulted in the death of her baby.

They didn't say this woman had a history of drug or alcohol abuse or other issues.

It's just tragic.

The old saying 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on them ' springs to mind. I doubt the media has reported all the facts either. Probably they've reported enough to sensationalise the story.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
The minimum sentence to be handed down to first post should be manslaughter only if the person is moral good standing.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Years ago 2 of my uncles decided to go away bush for a few days with their small kids and stopped at Chillagoe in north Queensland for lunch (and possibly to go to the pub) and the kids went to the playground to muck around

After lunch my uncles left town heading west and got about 30 minutes out of town and remembered that they had forgotten the kids

Turned around, drove back to town and the kids were still playing on the swings as happy as

When the story came out my aunties were not too amused

Regards Don

1 - 16 of 16 Posts