Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol DX Wagon TD42+T
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After losing my TB48 to thieves馃が I've brought a 1998 TD42 Dx wagon.

Had 495000ks on the clock and pretty average in the pannels and paint department.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive side marker light Tire

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light

I won't bang on about being lied to about a few things at the time of purchase but was quite surprised to see half of the drivers side rear radius bush mount snapped off the diff and floating arround in the rear draws馃槄

That'll teach me for viewing a car at night and taking people at face value馃槄
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Hat

Found some other things while I was there.. incorrect front swaybar saddles, and some front brake callipers that looked excessively rubbed.. apparently the alloys didn't clear by much at all..

Not sure if the photos will stick.. first time trying.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Awesome most photos loaded..馃憣
Here's the swaybar one that went awol
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper

Ive had the car for just over a month and have since.. replaced the callipers, removed the swaybar for now and found a replacement front housing which I've painted and installed
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Plant Public space

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

While doing the front end swapped centres to 4.6s air locked rear and lokka front that I had sitting arround.

I also removed the alloys and put my 315,75,16 Nitto trail grapplers on it.. replaced the spare carrier that was missing and installed a spacer so the spare fits..

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Sky

Attachments

Registered
2007 GU
Good progress!
Do those alloy wheels have any manufacturer make or model written on them?
So we know what won't fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good progress!
Do those alloy wheels have any manufacturer make or model written on them?
So we know what won't fit.
Unfortunately no.. there a 15" alloy with 0 offset. No manufacturers details.. if I had a bet they would be a Chinese wheel..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I'm a little behind in posting 馃槄

Here's a quick one..

While fitting a car out with draws or working out of the back there is nothing worse than having the small barn door constantly close on you..

Here's my solution

Automotive tire Wood Door Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car

Water Eye Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I install a extension bracket on the limit strap to allow full 90% opening and also a gas strut to hold it open while working.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When pulling the vinyl up to run cables for my touring power setup I found some more surprises
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread

Wood Plant Branch Automotive tire Trunk

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Wood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Road surface Automotive exterior

I've welded in the holes.. gave it a good wash out.. I've then followed up with rust converter.. then a layer of primer and finished with septon spray on body deadening
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt Automotive exterior

And topped that with trade right butyl rubber mat..

Sky Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Overall I think it should be a bit more quiet inside and the floor might be a bit more moisture resistant 馃槄

Premium Member
Nuffin now
So it was without rego and roadworthy obviously?

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else found rust in the rear gutter馃槄

Cloud Sky Hood Plant Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Cloud Sky Water Plant Hood

I'm sure this is more than common especially on higher ks cabs.. it's not hard to imagine the rubber that goes over the gutter gradually rubbing through the factory paint and holding moisture in there..

At this stage I've treated the rust, and have sealed with primer.. I'll get a touch up can and spray it all back in white.. replace the seal and it should be right for more years to come馃

Sky Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Anyone else found rust in the rear gutter馃槄

View attachment 543831
View attachment 543833
View attachment 543832

I'm sure this is more than common especially on higher ks cabs.. it's not hard to imagine the rubber that goes over the gutter gradually rubbing through the factory paint and holding moisture in there..

At this stage I've treated the rust, and have sealed with primer.. I'll get a touch up can and spray it all back in white.. replace the seal and it should be right for more years to come馃

View attachment 543835
Strange this should come up now, after 22 years the barn door outer seals had worn through the paint and surface rust had started ia thin line. I rubbed it back the other day, sealed and repainted, all good for another 22 years now, but your correct easily happens and sneaks up on you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strange this should come up now, after 22 years the barn door outer seals had worn through the paint and surface rust had started ia thin line. I rubbed it back the other day, sealed and repainted, all good for another 22 years now, but your correct easily happens and sneaks up on you.
I've only had it for a short while. But you get incredibly familiar with a car when doing a fitout.. I'm just happy it's sealed.. now I'll take a look in the cavity behind the seal and see if there's any real reason to be worried..

Worst case I body swap in a few months I've got a rd28 st roller with a clean body.. I'd just prefer not to do all that work馃ゴ

Premium Member
Nuffin now
Nope馃ゴ

Apparently it passed a nsw pinky 2 months prior like this and had 10 months rego when I got it..
A shame you didn't find these problems earlier, as you could have got the shady arsewipe that did the roadworthy and had him reamed out. 馃槈

Foo

Reactions: Patrol boi

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I had an accident at the 4wd show in Sydney over the weekend 馃ぃ
Gesture Font Electric blue Travel Thumb

I got a good price on a Polaris Unimax with reverse cam and hema offroad maps for $1000 on sale..
Gadget Bumper Gas Tablet computer Plastic bag

They have a massive adjustable touch screen has about 6inches of up and down travel and is mounted on a pivot ball so can be angled as requited.. takes up the whole double din with the base unit
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Sky

But yea there's some wires馃槄
Computer hardware Electrical wiring Cable Engineering Electronic component

And someone had made a mess of the factory harness
Light Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle door Steering wheel

Took a while but I got it all in reverse cam included.. also pre wired for my amplifier.
Vehicle Car Automotive navigation system Motor vehicle Plant
Car Plant Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Vehicle Window

I'm very happy with the setup.. have done all the programming and it works just as promised..
Get to test it out this weekend gona drag the camper trailer to Bretti Reserve 馃憣

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
Geeez, I hope you can dim all those dash lights for night driving. That would drive me mad.

My Alpine unit has a light feature that I like a lot. When doing all night drives, I switch the "Blackout" function on, and all the lights switch off on the unit, until you touch one of the controls, and then it goes off after 3 seconds again. Its great.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Geeez, I hope you can dim all those dash lights for night driving. That would drive me mad.

My Alpine unit has a light feature that I like a lot. When doing all night drives, I switch the "Blackout" function on, and all the lights switch off on the unit, until you touch one of the controls, and then it goes off after 3 seconds again. Its great.
Yea has a blackout button.. also has reprogrammable screen brightness

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea realy need one.. got a rd28 st I'm wrecking atm with an airbag wheel on it.. might pilfer that..馃 I've just never been a fan of the idea of putting an airbag wheel in a non aibag car and then being asked why the other airbag stuff has been removed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some small mods are what is called 1%ers, but, do 10 of them and your on a winner
This quote stuck with me last night.. so I butchered a rd28 airbox lid馃ぃ

Now don't get me wrong this is going to make minimal to no outright power gains on a na td42 with 10mm pump and a garret slung on the side.. but that's not what I'm after...

As a background I spent an afternoon on the weekend trying to get the poorly setup turbo glide garret kit to produce more than 10psi even with a boost controller and to get it on early.. my understanding is they use a 2860 so they should be spooling in the 1400-1600rpm range.. mine was comming on at 1800rpm..

One thing I tried was unclipped the airbox lid to rule out filter and air box restrictions.. no change.

I than took the lid off completely and got 11.5 psi peak (up by 1.5) and was spooling arround 1600.. and much quicker to get to its peak..

Now I did put the lid back on and after adjusting gate pressure I got the spool down to 1600rpm and got 15+ psi with the controller comfortably so I was happy at the time..

But after talking to geeyoutoo I thought I would like my extra 1% outa that airbox馃槄

Now why would I be chasing earlier spool so desperately.. that i would waste $20 and a lid of a car I'm wrecking? It comes back to the pump.. 10mm non compensated provides linear fuel delivery.. meaning when you wind it up you get fuel everywhere.. now I was quite conservative however I'd like the car to be as lean and clean as possible and that's where little mods like this help.. here's the pictures of my work 馃槄
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Flash photography Rim Camera lens

Helmet Food Sports gear Automotive lighting Gas

Work in progress obviously.. just need to put a short bit of straight on the end to meet the existing plumbing..

Yes this clears the bonnet.. I've checked.. it also fits nicely with my k&n.

Test run tomorrow maby.. also gona paint it..

90mm 馃挬 pipe and a tank overflow flange.. from bunnings if anyone wants to know..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts