Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm more interested in the second hand Titans being imported than the new Patrol. I don't suppose anybody has one?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
23 Posts
Can you even import Titans in Australia?
Id get one for sure too if they didnt have the ridiculous markup that F250s have. $100k for a pickup!? Yeah right!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wizard Performance on the Gold Coast has one.

Try giving them a call.

Cheers Heath

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
Wizard Performance on the Gold Coast has one.

Try giving them a call.

Cheers Heath
heath. . . i tried sending you a pm. . . it wont let me. iv seen the great work you have pioneered with the duramax conversions. how much are you charging? i just sold my GU 4.2 wagon, and im looking round for something. there are a few guiv grenades going cheap as a donor vehicle. . . what am i looking at for a conversioin? 20k? 30k?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
BEST IDEA EVER! Put the right diesel drivetrain in and it would go great in the Aussie market. You should sell that idea to Nissan!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
heyhey_guess_who said:
ou should sell that idea to Nissan!
Compared to how many shopping trolleys they will sell, they wouldnt waste their time. Trolleys I would guess being 85% (FPOOMA)of the 4wds sold now and gettin worse?
its the same thing that killed off the SWB GQ... demand..

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
As above. I dont think there are too many people here that have any concept of business or what makes a company tick. Caning nissan for moving away from the GU concept (a car that barely anyones buys anymore and gets constantly flogged by the competition) and a texas style pick up truck that would sell one every year...

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
WHAT! Your kidding yourself, how many people buy 4wds to go shopping? HEAPS! How many people buy dual cabs in a 4wd format to go shopping, drop the kids off to school, work, etc. FARKING HEAPS!
It doesn't look like those Yank PickUps it looks like a Navara on roids! It is not a step away from a dying market it is still alive and well, last year Victorians alone purchased more 4wds and V8s than just about any other year in the last decade or so. Not to mention there is NO competition for this format of vehicle!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
heyhey_guess_who said:
...last year Victorians alone purchased more 4wds and V8s
yes, Wagons. Shopping mums dont want utes. And V8's are a dying requirement - yor figures show that.

Do you think the mighty company that brought us such gems as the 2.8 and ZD30 would have already done the sums on this over the last few years?

The GQ shorty seemed to be selling reasonablly well back in the day, but the cost of it ended up coming near the LWB so even though it was selling, it wasnt enough for Nissan to bother with.

4wds are so far down Nissans list of "must haves" it aint funny. Economical little ****heaps is apparently what we all "WANT".

·
Registered
360 Posts
This conversation reminds me a little of how USA car companies reponded to Japanase small car, front wheel drive invasion during the 70's

they went from building **** rear wheel drive cars to **** front wheel drive cars

their analyst believed that this is what the public wanted

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The Titan was in Last weeks sunday telegraph converted by Qld Co to RHD, cost around 80ks, apparently turned out ok except usual switches on wrong side. Plenty of grunt. Will se if can find ad

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
WHAT! Your kidding yourself, how many people buy 4wds to go shopping?
I dont believe I am, but perhaps you could send a letter to Nissan Aus and they can discuss the option of a Titan's viability at great length in their next board meeting. Thats assuming the committee of several people that make these decisions, getting payed extremely healthy salaries, didnt give it 2 sec's thought and that was the end. Why...? No one would buy it and making i'll informed decisions would spell the end of car companies. Not disimilar to nissan moving away from old school, live axle 4wd's - no one buys them and to continue down that path would be financial suicide - esp in such a fragile car economy atm.

I know a few people in the car game (my ex use to work for toyota in this area) and the amount of reseach into markets for products, viability, profitability and sustainability is absolutely massive. Its not a matter of 'just bringing a product in' because it looks good, or keeping an old one there (in the case of the GU) because of a minority of people dont like change.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Titan

Nissan were actually looking at this about a year ago (or maybe early this year) in fact. The market they wanted it for though was the mining market as a replacement for F trucks as there is nothing to replace them (well there wasn't then) in terms of towing capacity and general size. Haven't heard a thing for ages so I assume the figures didn't add up and it fell flat on it's bum. They are a good unit but unless they could stick them into the mine people they would never sell enough to justify the RH drive production.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Try JAK motorworks in melb

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,349 Posts
That sux, I would have me a Titan, such a beefcake of a vehicle, such sexy/beefy lines, and a V8!!

I am yet to touch one :D

I like my women a bit chunky lol ;)

·
Registered
Nissan 4x4 S/C Patrol P/U
1 Posts
Currently visiting in Canada. See many Titans about, awesome looking vehicle would choose way above the full size American trucks

·
Registered
387 Posts
I haven't driven a Titan, but I have driven plenty of other Yank 'SUVs' and 'Pickups' during my time living in USA, and I honestly believe most on this forum would be bitterly dissapointed if they drove any of them. Most Nth American SUVs seem to be aimed at improving winter road (snow and ice) traction, not off-road ability, with some obvious exceptions - ie many Jeep models. Then again, 4WDing in USA is often referred to as 'Jeeping' - I wonder how that came about!

Think of how well one of the worlds best ever selling 4WDs performs in the Australian market - the Ford Explorer... No sooner had Aussies taken it offroad than it developed the nick-name the Exploder... It just wasn't designed for what we expect of a 4WD. Instead, it was designed to accomodate massive butts, ride with cadillac type comfort (think wallowing all over the road for 100m after hitting a pot hole) and enable the average soccer mum to be unphased by a hint of snow - they can just turn a little dial and engage 4WD on the fly.

Landcruiser's sell poorly in USA (too expensive due to all that offroad engineering and not big enough) and Nissan doesn't even try to sell the Patrol. Just another example of the vehicles being designed for a very different purpose.

The Nissan Armada by the way, dwarfs the Pathfinder. It may look similar, but it is comparible in size to a Ford Expedition (Explorer's big brother). If you really want a mega sized American tank, why not look at a Ford Excursion. These things are essentially a wagon varient of the F250. From memory, they were available hopelessly underpowered with about a 5.4 or 5.7L? V8, the 7.3L Powerstroke turbo diesel, and becuase Americans much prefer their gasoline, the favourite powerplant was a (6.8L from memory) V10 petrol. I think they were rated for about 10 or 11K lbs towing, which is just enough for them to tow an adequate sized fuel tanker...

Again, I haven't driven a Titan, but of all of the other large Nth American SUVs / Pickups I have driven, it was pretty obvious that the big engines were a bare necessity to compensate for their overweight construction - I doubt any of them could drag off a Toyota Tarago...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts