Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,501 Posts
My diff gear/tire size is the same size as yours then, it does seem pretty happy at that RPM, and I was reading something the other day on a TD thread about not wanting engines with a mechanical injector pump sitting below about 2000rpm on the highway because of how much power the IP sucks out of the motor vs how efficiently it's working, or something like that.
On the other hand, the soon-to-be farm ute that we've got has 4.6 gears, h260 rear (seems original, not a centre swap like mine), and running 33's for an hours drive down to Brisbane to pick up this engine crane and another hour back it seemed pretty good too. There's no intercooler or EGT gauge on it yet though so who knows what was going on inside temp-wise.

@tisch one of the long-gone members of the forum, Landy, who did a lot of good work with the SD33T, favoured 4.6 gears with 35's as just about the perfect gearing from what I've read. So depending on what tire size you're planning to run, 33's with 4.3's or 35's with 4.6's would be just about right.
Obviously depends what the car will be used for though, if it's just around town it'll feel peppier on the 4.6's.
Food for thought.
There's quite possibly some truth to that, and I would imagine an inline pump would draw more from the engine than a VE like most TD used.

·
Registered
MK Wagon, and an SD33T in pieces...
652 Posts
There's quite possibly some truth to that, and I would imagine an inline pump would draw more from the engine than a VE like most TD used.
100%
When I went to get the Patrol dyno’d, I picked Chris’s brain a bit, because I’d read that inline pumps don’t need rebuilding as often
(rotary vs inline)
And he told me that that’s true, but the downside is that they do suck more power out of the engine. I can’t remember the rest of the conversation but I’m assuming it’s because all 6 plungers need to be driven by essentially another camshaft inside the pump.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts