Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan safari
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got myself a 1990 SWB Safari, new to me and so some possible dumb questions:
1. When the fuel guage is on E, is there a light that comes on?
2. I have a leak around the steering box, what's the likely cause, seal to shaft?
3. Its a standard set-up with PTO winch, what should the ride height be? She looks pretty low, I think the coils are sagging.
4. Speedo is working but k's aren't turning over. I've tried playing with the trip reset but no joy, any ideas?

Appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
573 Posts
I dont have a safari, but can maybe help with couple of your questions.
fuel light depends on the GQ model, some have it, some dont, mine is a '92st and has it.
leak around steering box......... mine was just an old low pressure hose from the pump to steel pipes that had gone hard, nothing special about replacing that, get the correct grade hose and new clamps. For what its worth, you will find that many of the original rubber connecting hoses whether fuel, steering, cooling, vaccuum, brake lines etc will have hardened, and advice to me when I bought mine, was to replace as I serviced each part of the car. It has been good advice, especially the fuel (mine is diesel, and air leaks are a real problem).
Trip meter/odo, its a common problem, I had mine rebuilt professionally, cost me $125.
Cant help with standard ride height, but there are plenty of threads on the GQ section. (mine is lifted 2"). new springs and shockers are not expensive, and easy fit.

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
There's no fuel warning light on my 88 safari. It will be a PITA if you run out, but I haven't done that in 11 years or so of owning the truck.
There's a thread here:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/fix-odometer-not-advancing-48182/
on fixing stuck odo.
I don't know what ride height should be. With mine (standard SWB) on fairly new 31x10.5 x 15 ATs , its about 35-36 cm from ground to the bottom of the seam under the sills front and rear. It looks normal, but AFAIK the springs haven't been touched in 22 years. It hasn't seen much heavy off-road use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts